Did Ben Askren Waste his Career.......

DavidBigdj

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
By not signing with the UFC or Bellator? Will he ever be talked about as a "great" fighter without fighting anyone of note since 2012? While I'm not 100% hardcore, I do consider myself a pretty well versed fight fan, especially the big Orgs. I dont recognize ANY names of the fighters he has fought since Douglas Lima, back in 2012. Before that, the recognition is there, but since? Na....

Back to my Question....I'm not sure what his pay scale is, I know he listened to offers from the UFC and Bellator and probably others as well, and signed with One FC. So I'm sure the pay was there, but as far as Reputation/Legacy, was his career a waste? I dont know if anyone of note considers him a top 5 fighter, even though he is 17-0. Sherdog doesnt even have him in the Honorable Mentions after their top 10.....

I'd love to see how he fares against UFC level talent....170 is one of UFCs deepest divisions in my opinion.

Thoughts?

In terms of not being as famous as he might have been? Probably.

In terms of having a lucrative career? Probably not.

Homie has been paid better at Onefc than he would have been with the UFC.

Seriously, you couldn't read the threads already done on this topic? That are in the right forum?

I really don't think so.
He's doing well and might have less bullshit to put up with.

He went where he was wanted. Both Bellator and the UFC didn't want him on even on a minimum $ contract. Dana White called him the most boring fighter alive and said he would never sign him. When you take that into consideration Ben did what he had to do and went overseas and fought bums. You can't really blame him as he didn't have many options.

Have heard many people within MMA say that Askren is as advertised, and possibly the best grappler in the game.

To you or me, he possibly wasted his career, though I'm sure Askren has no regrets.

In terms of not being as famous as he might have been? Probably.

In terms of having a lucrative career? Probably not.

Why would the Onefc over pay? what does he give that organization?

Seriously? How so?

"Askren will be making a guaranteed $50,000 just to show up for his first bout with ONE FC. There's another $50,000 to be awarded as a win bonus if Askren can find his hand raised."

Seriously? How so?

"Askren will be making a guaranteed $50,000 just to show up for his first bout with ONE FC. There's another $50,000 to be awarded as a win bonus if Askren can find his hand raised."

That's a much better debut pay than the UFC's 12/12k or whatever it is these days. Plus his sponsorhips probably make him 20k per year.

Seems like he made pretty good money and he may have a job lined up after he retires. The kind the UFC used to give guys like Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes to keep them paid.

Seems like he had a good career.

Made some decent money, didn't take much damage and has an executive position waiting for him.

<mma4>

That's a much better debut pay than the UFC's 12/12k or whatever it is these days. Plus his sponsorhips probably make him 20k per year.

Eddie Alvarez Made $63k with a possible $63k win bonus when he fought Donald Cerrone....that was his first fight....not that it means much, but just sayin....

He made smart career decisions but he wont be remembered for in cage accomplishments. Who is his best win?

Seriously? How so?

Eddie Alvarez Made $63k with a possible $63k win bonus when he fought Donald Cerrone....that was his first fight....not that it means much, but just sayin....

Well, compared to the 0/0 deal the UFC was offering, the 50/50 One FC deal was infinitesimally better.

<seedat>

By not signing with the UFC or Bellator? Will he ever be talked about as a "great" fighter without fighting anyone of note since 2012? While I'm not 100% hardcore, I do consider myself a pretty well versed fight fan, especially the big Orgs. I dont recognize ANY names of the fighters he has fought since Douglas Lima, back in 2012. Before that, the recognition is there, but since? Na....

Back to my Question....I'm not sure what his pay scale is, I know he listened to offers from the UFC and Bellator and probably others as well, and signed with One FC. So I'm sure the pay was there, but as far as Reputation/Legacy, was his career a waste? I dont know if anyone of note considers him a top 5 fighter, even though he is 17-0. Sherdog doesnt even have him in the Honorable Mentions after their top 10.....

I'd love to see how he fares against UFC level talent....170 is one of UFCs deepest divisions in my opinion.

Thoughts?

It seems you are well versed only in the UFC...
And no.
As many fighters who have gone out of the UFC and did not accomplished much (Bendo as a prime example), fighting outside the UFC does not mean fighting cans anymore.
IMHO he is one of the greats.

He will have no legacy , in the future no one will ever remeber what he did in bush league orgs.

Back