Did anyone notice Winklejohn blame Cerrone for the Gym's losses??

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Alpha_T83, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

In his twitter temper tantrum, I think after he said he wished Perry "didn't go for the takedown", he said something like "Cerrone doesn't even train at Jackson-Wink, he grabs guys to train on his ranch, and then they lose their fights".

Maybe I just interpreted that wrong, or heard it wrong. But it really sounded to me like he's trying to blame Cerrone for losses in the gym... and the gym's been taking quite a few losses lately.

2. Philtard

Philtard Black Belt

No he's saying he's selfish which is why they lose.

They are training out of cerrones gym. Nothing to do with wink when they're training at cerrones

3. Sansnom

Sansnom Silver Belt

I don't know. Call TMZ

4. Breaking

Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Well, he can’t just come right out and blame USADA...

5. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

The guys who go train with Cerrone lose their fights?

Do we know which fighter he's talkin' about?

6. DaPhillirican

DaPhillirican Blue Belt

This was on twitter, did he delete the posts?

7. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

It was a video post. I watched it twice and I'm pretty sure he said "they lose their fights" after training with Cerrone. If anyone else interpreted that video the same way, then it's very interesting that he's blaming Cerrone.

8. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

I don't think so, no, we don't know which guys he's talking about.

It just sounded from the video that Cerrone "grabs" guys from the gym to train at his ranch, and then he said "they lose their fights". I wasn't sure if he was talking about Cerrone losing fights, or the guy that he trains with losing fights.

But if he's blaming Cerrone for other guys in the gym losing fights ... that's pretty dumb.

agibmxmma, Philtard and Sonny Qc like this.
  9. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

OK... because it sounded to me like Jackson-Wink fighters are splitting their time at Cerrone's gym, and then losing their fights -- so he's blaming Cerrone's half of their training for their losses.

agibmxmma and Philtard like this.
  10. Fireflies

Fireflies White Belt

He's insinuating that Cowboy takes his teammates from the gym and takes them on crazy events like jumping outta planes, swimming underwater in caves, mountain biking all the adrenaline junkie stuff he's known for. So he must be blaming Cowboy for them doing all that and trying to put it on not focusing on upcoming fights. Cowboy just trying to be a social friend with teammate's for good team moral.._ they're all grown men they haven't got a gun to their head that they have to go to Cowboys infamous wild ranch

11. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Steel Belt Platinum Member

WinkleJuice is salty as f*ck, especially now that Cowboy beat the brakes off his fighter.

12. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

OK -- that's what it was. I wasn't quite sure what he meant when he said Cowboy pays for all their adventures. That makes sense.

13. egk

egk Silver Belt

Lando Vannatta was one of them. Lando since announced he was leaving Jackson/Wink but he's been going out to train with Cerrone for a while. Cerrone apparently wasn't training at Jackson Wink much for a long time. He'd just stop in now and then and get fighters to go train at his ranch with him instead. Fighters who went to train at Cerrone's and lost still got listed as Jackson/Wink fighters for the record.

14. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

But did they train 100% at Cerrone's ranch, or did they spend closer to 50% of their time at Jackson/Wink? This is the part I'm not clear about.

I knew that Cerrone didn't train at Jackson-Wink basically ever, and I knew that he would have guys from Jackson-Wink come to his ranch to train. However, it sounded to me like those guys split their time between Cerrone's and Jackson-Wink. And if that's the case, it's not really fair to blame Cerrone for their losses. As a coach, if you see a guy 3-4 days a week for long training sessions, that should be enough to get them ready for a fight.

15. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

To be fair it's not like Wink had a world beater to work with. He was trying to turn chicken shit in to chicken salad and we know that is not happening. Perry is the biggest scrub at 170.

16. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

Hahaha that's so true.

But why did he choose Perry over Cerrone then? He chose Perry because of money, which means that he's willing to sacrifice the health of the gym (fighter quality) for a quick buck. That speaks poorly of him as a coach. Iron sharpens iron, so you should never get rid of a fighter (even if he doesn't pay you) for another fighter that makes more money in the short term.

It's one thing for Jackson-Wink to choose Jon Jones over Rashad evans... but it's another thing to pick a scrub like Perry and force out Cerrone. However, from Donald's stories that "any bum" can walk in off the street and spar against top level athletes for $150, it seems pretty clear that Winklejohn is all about making money. This approach isn't the best for building a championship level gym.

17. egk

egk Silver Belt

I have no clue about that. That's why all the petty drama was just that to me. Petty drama. Whenever people are blaming one another for things, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle of the two stories.

Alpha_T83 likes this.
  18. Chris Hernandez

Chris Hernandez White Belt

Interesting that this is such a debate.... It is a win-win ( lose ) for Jackson-WInk... If a said Jackson-Wink fighter splits time at Cowboys ranch and they win, they are a Jackson-Wink fighter and it is a win for the team... If they lose, then it was training at Cerrones ranch that caused the failure.... This is not a thing that is specific to Jackson-Wink or Wink... This is a coaching deal... Just like fighters have a hard time accepting their losses, coaches need justifications for their fighter lose as well... And in the case of Wink, if what Cowboy says is true ( Puppy Mill ), then he is going to find every reason in the book to excuse away loses so he doesn't lose fighters, and money from fighters....

19. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

Yeah it's a shame that JW as gone downhill so much.

Wink seems to be one of those old guys who refuses to evolve and outside of making money is not too concerned about much. He should have just took the high road and kept it quiet.

20. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

He also strikes me as a guy that never had much money, but all of a sudden Jackson-Wink was this MMA juggernaut bring in tons money, and he got a taste for it. Once you're addicted to making money, you'll start chasing quick cash whenever you can, especially when times are tough. But sadly, that's the surest road to long term failure.