Did anybody notice this detail in the first fight between Silva and Weidman?

Yeah, it was competitive.... until he got completely destroyed and knocked the fuck out.
So who are all these other guys supposed to withstand a flying knee by Yoel Fuckin Romero?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I still think Weidman is the best MW. A few ill--timed mistakes says otherwise but I still think he is.
Based on what?

Here’s my counter evidence in advance.

giphy.gif

More than just a few ill-timed mistakes led to this unfortunate incident alone.

RigidHiddenAss-size_restricted.gif

Doesn’t really look like a problem with timing or that it’s a mistake. Looks like Romero is just superior.

source.gif

And then, of course, there’s this. Not really a mistake from Weidman. Just a perfectly timed and executed response from Romero. Chris couldn’t have really done anything differently in that fight because he’s just not good enough.

Last edited:
I think Silva isn’t a mentally stable person in the first place.
I also think he had lost the speed he needed to capitalize on any opportunities he had.

As for stylistic nightmare, I would have to disagree.
First round Weidman is a stylistic nightmare for Silva, and everyone else in the division. After that, he always fades (with the curious exception of the Machida fight). I don’t think he would have been able to take Silva down again beyond the first round.

All of Weidman’s mistakes, the claims that he’s “winning” every fight, are all based on the first 5 minutes.
He was fading against Luke, Yoel, Moos, as well as against Silva and Kelvin.

So I’m a contrarian here. I think results are results, but:
Prime Chael would beat Silva more than 50% of the time, even though he lost twice.
Prime Silva would beat Weidman more than 50% of the time, even though he lost twice.
Prime Faber would beat prime Mike Brown more than 50% of the time, even though he lost twice.
I dont agree with the chael assessment. He had one shot at it in that first fight. He had to be perfect and he almost was. No way he could have pulled that off the same way again. If he had won,maybe he would have capitalized on the mental edge he would have had in a rematch,but he didnt win,and the gates of immortality closed forever.

So who are all these other guys supposed to withstand a flying knee by Yoel Fuckin Romero?
He´s not supposed to get flying kneed in the 1st place, but that´s what happens when you´re telegraphing takedowns every 15 seconds like he was against an explosive wrestler like Romero.

And if Chael can take down Anderson without much problem so would The Chris. Problem is that Weidman's fights against Silva didn't last for longer than 2 rounds so this narrative that Weidman couldn't take Anderson down is a bit sketchy.

And if Chael can take down Anderson without much problem so would The Chris. Problem is that Weidman's fights against Silva didn't last for longer than 2 rounds so this narrative that Weidman couldn't take Anderson down is a bit sketchy.

Actually, his first TD in R1 of the first fight was effortless. He was stuffed later in the round and stuffed in R2 as well.
That’s where the narrative comes from.

Chael had far better cardio and was able to continue getting TD’s in every round.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I still think Weidman is the best MW. A few ill--timed mistakes says otherwise but I still think he is.

Nah he’s good, but a middle pack fighter who was the youngest around at the time of his ascension to glory in the UFC MW division, with good wrestling. If you look at who he beat on his way to the title it reads as a list of over the hill fighters who were aged and past their primes. I knew that Rockhold would beat him and since then he has had to fight MW’s who are the same age and in their prime, the results have not been good. Except for a win against an undersized Gastelum (who I love btw), which he almost got KO’d in, he has not shown that he is the best MW.

Actually, his first TD in R1 of the first fight was effortless. He was stuffed later in the round and stuffed in R2 as well.
That’s where the narrative comes from.

Chael had far better cardio and was able to continue getting TD’s in every round.

Sure but a stuffed takedown doesn't mean that Weidman couldn't take him down anymore. Anderson stuffed takedowns from Chael as well.

But Chael had far better cardio, I agree.

Based on what?

Here’s my counter evidence in advance.

giphy.gif

More than just a few ill-timed mistakes led to this unfortunate incident alone.

RigidHiddenAss-size_restricted.gif

Doesn’t really look like a problem with timing or that it’s a mistake. Looks like Romero is just superior.

source.gif

And then, of course, there’s this. Not really a mistake from Weidman. Just a perfectly timed and executed response from Romero. Chris couldn’t have really done anything differently in that fight because he’s just not good enough.

You're cherry picking, i can do that also.
He was beating Rockhold before the dumb spinning kick, he was up on the cards, maybe 50/50 before yoel landed the knee.
Like I said, ill-timed mistakes tgat did happen, I'm not denying that. And to be honest, i feel Rockhold is a bit overrated imo.

Leading up to the fight a lot of other fighters and insiders were picking Weidman over Silva, moreso than any of his previous opponents. I think that got under his skin

Leading up to the fight a lot of other fighters and insiders were picking Weidman over Silva, moreso than any of his previous opponents. I think that got under his skin
Also weidman was way more confident than any of his past opponents too.

He was beating Rockhold before the dumb spinning kick, he was up on the cards, maybe 50/50 before yoel landed the knee.
Like I said, ill-timed mistakes tgat did happen, I'm not denying that. And to be honest, i feel Rockhold is a bit overrated imo.

How is it cherry picking? It is well known that the end of the match is the most important part...

Are you suggesting that you can also cherry pick the part where Weidman finishes and dominates Rockhold and Romero?

And I agree that Rockhold is overrated. But that really make Weidman look much worse, doesn’t it?

This might be the right answer.

I don't think you can make a reasonable argument that Weidman is currently the best MW on the planet, even if he undoubtedly held that distinction in the past. A string of unfortunate accidents can't explain three consecutive losses, and even his latest win against Gastelum was pretty tepid. If you go to these extreme lengthsto rationalize his losses, the same kind of argument could easily be made for Bisping, Rockhold or even Silva(which people did do for a while)

Nah he’s good, but a middle pack fighter who was the youngest around at the time of his ascension to glory in the UFC MW division, with good wrestling. If you look at who he beat on his way to the title it reads as a list of over the hill fighters who were aged and past their primes. I knew that Rockhold would beat him and since then he has had to fight MW’s who are the same age and in their prime, the results have not been good. Except for a win against an undersized Gastelum (who I love btw), which he almost got KO’d in, he has not shown that he is the best MW.

There's quite a difference between getting dropped and almost KO'd.

Silva was nearly 40 years old when he fought Weidman. I think that played a huge role, more so than him disliking Weidman and not touching gloves with him.
He had defended his belt 10 times and was on a winstreak that is still the longest in UFC history.

He had to lose sometime. I give Weidman all the credit in the world for beating Silva but the fact of the matter is that Silva was at the end of his prime.

Back