Did anybody notice this detail in the first fight between Silva and Weidman?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Silva used to touch gloves with all his opponents in the beginning of the fight. But he didn´t do this against Weidman. And I thought it was a little weird, (since he had touched gloves even with Sonnen) as if Weidman had gotten under his skin. And he clearly did.

Did you guys notice this at the time?

Video is timestamped

He was scared. Just like against Maia he busted out all the tricks to try and win.

Steroids, grabbing Sonnens shorts, trying to rub the vaseline from his face to his shoulders. You can tell which opponents he was intimidated by and which he felt were easy

He was shook!

Anyway,he must have known,as i did,that the chris was the exact kind of fighter youd grow in a lab to beat anderson silva

He was obviously pissed that the UFC forced him to fight a guy who was a stylistic nightmare for him. At that time he said Weidman wasn't worthy and he was pushing for a Nick Diaz (extremely worthy of a MW titleshot of course) instead.

He was scared. Just like against Maia he busted out all the tricks to try and win.

Steroids, grabbing Sonnens shorts, trying to rub the vaseline from his face to his shoulders. You can tell which opponents he was intimidated by and which he felt were easy
grabbing Sonnens shorts,... now that´s a bad boy...

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I still think Weidman is the best MW. A few ill--timed mistakes says otherwise but I still think he is.

Weidman was just a horrible matchup for Anderson. He knew it. Other fighters knew it. I remember a lot of fighters picked The Chris to win that fight.

He was Lord Chael 2.0 at that time.

I don't remember that, nice find.

Silva always looking for ways to rattle his opponent

akibs1.gif

I thought the kiss was more telling. When that happened, I started to really worry Anderson didn't have it together.

I don't remember that, nice find.

Silva always looking for ways to rattle his opponent

akibs1.gif

Weidman actually said pre fight that he wasn't scared to stand with Anderson and that he would do it. I think Weidman was in Anderson's head big time leading up to that fight.

Those two wins are incredibly impressive all things considered and it's a joke that people call them flukes.

He was nervous as fuck, he knew he was gonna struggle vs Weidman, he was also kinda pissed he wasn't able to duck him at all. He tried to play all cool disrespecting him but it backfired bad

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I still think Weidman is the best MW. A few ill--timed mistakes says otherwise but I still think he is.
I like Weidman but he is not the same post-USADA, imo.

I like Weidman but he is not the same post-USADA, imo.
I think it´s more like what Rockhold said. Once Weidman stopped fighting old past his prime guys and started facing the young killers, things would be different. And he was right.

i noticed weidman getting the win was all lol

I think it´s more like what Rockhold said. Once Weidman stopped fighting old past his prime guys and started facing the young killers, things would be different. And he was right.
Man...
Lets not act like he aint havin competitve fights w everyone he lost to.

I think Silva isn’t a mentally stable person in the first place.
I also think he had lost the speed he needed to capitalize on any opportunities he had.

As for stylistic nightmare, I would have to disagree.
First round Weidman is a stylistic nightmare for Silva, and everyone else in the division. After that, he always fades (with the curious exception of the Machida fight). I don’t think he would have been able to take Silva down again beyond the first round.

All of Weidman’s mistakes, the claims that he’s “winning” every fight, are all based on the first 5 minutes.
He was fading against Luke, Yoel, Moos, as well as against Silva and Kelvin.

So I’m a contrarian here. I think results are results, but:
Prime Chael would beat Silva more than 50% of the time, even though he lost twice.
Prime Silva would beat Weidman more than 50% of the time, even though he lost twice.
Prime Faber would beat prime Mike Brown more than 50% of the time, even though he lost twice.

Last edited:
Silva used to touch gloves with all his opponents in the beginning of the fight. But he didn´t do this against Weidman. And I thought it was a little weird, (since he had touched gloves even with Sonnen) as if Weidman had gotten under his skin. And he clearly did.

Did you guys notice this at the time?

Video is timestamped

He thought exactly the same as with all his opponents, and got KO'd. He was 38 years old. But, I am not going to use the "out of his prime" excuse like the Fedoralies. Nobody was saying Anderson Silva was "out of his prime" leading up to the Chris Weidman fight.

spongebob.jpg

Man...
Lets not act like he aint havin competitve fights w everyone he lost to.
Yeah, it was competitive.... until he got completely destroyed and knocked the fuck out.

Back