Diaz vs Woodley... Terrible fight to make, but might be more competitive than you think.

Which Tyron Woodley performance gives you the confidence that Tyron will counter Nate Diaz over and over in boxing?

He made Stephen motherfucking Thompson afraid to stand and trade. Whats he gonna do to Nate?

Unless you're suggesting that Diaz is more of a stand up threat than Wonderboy?

I probably sound like a Woodley nuthugger here. Im not. I just don't like Nate's chances in this one.

Edit: Plus Nate is a forward moving pressure fighter. He's gonna be walking into counters for as long as the fight goes on imo.

WTF when has Nate ever stuffed a takedown except for that sloppy shot from Conor. Woodley is going to get every take down he wants.

He made Stephen motherfucking Thompson afraid to stand and trade. Whats he gonna do to Nate?

Unless you're suggesting that Diaz is more of a stand up threat than Wonderboy?

I probably sound like a Woodley nuthugger here. Im not. I just don't like Nate's chances in this one.

There are different types of striking, you know that right?

Some work on some people, others work on other people.

Styles make fights.

There are different types of striking, you know that right?

Some work on some people, others work on other people.

Styles make fights.

Yeah I think I might be aware of that. Check my edit.

Its 5 rounds. Tyron better finish quick before he gasses and Nate takes over. Just one problem only 1 person ever finished nate.

This fight will depend on ref more than many because it will get ugly for Nate until Tyron can't beat him up anymore.

I wouldnt put money on it. Seems even more I've thought about it though.
2 people have finished Nate.

Josh Thomson via strikes
Hermes Franca via sub

I assume Woodley wins a decision. It will be hilarious if he loses to Nate though.

Yeah I think I might be aware of that. Check my edit.

Woodley is not some great counter striker. The only threat he has in boxing is his overhand right.

If Diaz vs Woodley was a boxing match, I would pick Nate to beat the fucking brakes off of Woodley 10/10 times.

So the closer he can make their MMA fight to a boxing match, the better his chances of winning.

Diaz vs Woodley in a pure boxing match.

How do you see that going?
Nate likely take that by outpointing Tyron via volume, but if there were to be a finish it would a victory for Tyron.
However Nate does not do well when the takedown is a threat, he has more trouble finding range and landing combinations.
The threat of Tyron's takedowns will nullify Nate's boxing enough , but Tyron still has little trouble getting the takedown and imposing his will.

Nate does not matchup well against Tyron.

But this is all just my opinion.

Nate likely take that by outpointing Tyron via volume, but if there were to be a finish it would a victory for Tyron.
However Nate does not do well when the takedown is a threat, he has more trouble finding range and landing combinations.
The threat of Tyron's takedowns will nullify Nate's boxing enough , but Tyron still has little trouble getting the takedown and imposing his will.

Nate does not matchup well against Tyron.

But this is all just my opinion.

So if Nate can somehow nullify the wrestling and the leg kicks, he should have this in the bag, right?

Tyron Woodley is very similar in stature and in style to Michael Johnson. 5'9 with a 74 inch reach while MJ is 5'10 with a 74" reach.

Except he is much faster, and much more explosive. And has better wrestling, whereas MJ has better striking.

If Nate can coax Woodley into a stand and bang war, he has a decent chance.

If Tyron don’t get the takedown

{<jordan}

Yes, if one of the best wrestlers in the division can't land a takedown against a guy with terrible TDD fighting up a weight class...

If Woodley tears his ACL and MCL during the walkout, Diaz has a real shot here guys!

Woodley is a skillful fighter.
Very skillful one.

But he hates being pressured. And Diaz bros ARE the pressure.

So the right answer would be:

100% wrong, Woodley sets up his takedowns and counters exactly when he's pressured against the cage.

Nate cannot stop the takedown ever.
Woodley will push him against the cage and lift him up everytime. Nate is too weak.
Sad

Stylistically, it's definitely a tougher fight for Woodley than people are making it out to be. Diaz has the iron chin, the cardio, the striking, the pressure, etc. to give Tyron problems. Woodley also doesn't like being pressured, and if Diaz's striking is as sharp as it was in, say, the Cerrone fight, then I could see him finishing off Woodley up against the cage the way he did Gray Maynard.

He will not give Woodley problems, Wonderboy didn't give him any on the feet, Nates boxing will not at all. Woodley will leg kick him raw (underrated inside kicks) and take him down at will.

And this thread basically says "Every fighter has a chance", well good for you for figuring that out bro, must of taken you all night to come up with it.

This.

Even though I would love to believe Nate could slowly piece Woodley apart with his pressure game, I don't see him stopping the blitz in both the stand up and take downs of Woodley. Nates only chance is to catch Woodley early with some nice combos to put doubt/fear in his game and/or weather the storm in hopes he can eventually wear Woodley down in the 4th/5th and pick him apart. Highly unlikely though...

So if Nate can somehow nullify the wrestling and the leg kicks, he should have this in the bag, right?

Tyron Woodley is very similar in stature and in style to Michael Johnson. 5'9 with a 74 inch reach while MJ is 5'10 with a 74" reach.

Except he is much faster, and much more explosive. And has better wrestling, whereas MJ has better striking.

If Nate can coax Woodley into a stand and bang war, he has a decent chance.
That's Nates best chance, but don't see it playing out that way.
He will also have to be cognizant of Tyron's power.
Tyron has shut down better strikes than Nate.

It will not be competitive, Woodley will still fight safe just because his title is on the line.

He should dominate and only will be comfortable once Nate is tired after being humped and beaten on the ground.

Woodley hits him with that full power lead right in the first minute and he'll be lucky if he isn't eating through a straw for months.

{<jordan}

Yes, if one of the best wrestlers in the division can't land a takedown against a guy with terrible TDD fighting up a weight class...

If Woodley tears his ACL and MCL during the walkout, Diaz has a real shot here guys!
That’s not the only scenario though is it. Woodley seems to fancy himself as a striker. He may not even shoot. Rory’s average wrestling ( although obviously better than Nate’s) wasn’t needed to put Tyrons back against the cage and run a clinic on him

Back