Diaz vs Woodley... Terrible fight to make, but might be more competitive than you think.

Now, I agree with you that this is a terrible fight to make. It makes absolutely no sense from a #1 contender perspective. But just by looking at Nate's performance vs Rory, you can tell that he could give Tyron some fits with the striking.

Most people only remember the last round where Rory was ragdolling and suplexing him 3x in a row like a small child. But if you go and actuslly watch the first two rounds, you would see that up until the 3rd it was a fairly competitive fight. And Rory was not able to finish Nate.

Now, that was Rory, who has excellent cardio and pretty good MMA striking. He is also a lanky dude himself, which made it easier to deal with Nate' s reach.

Woodley is shorter and has much lesser technical striking than Rory. He is also susceptible to tiring out in the later rounds, especially with the pace that Nate Diaz brings. He has a massive overhand, but Nate can take a shot and is great at recovering.

On the other hand, Tyron is a powerful wrestler and Nate has shown to be weak against wrestlers in the past. I don't think there's anyway his TDD will be up to par to stop a Tyron Woodley double leg.

I think that Woodley wins this fight via takedowns and GNP, but don't entirely count Diaz out.

Mark my words, he will give Tyron problems for as long as this fight stays on the feet.

Good point, TS.
Good thing about Diaz is that he´s not gonna stop in front of Woodley and do nothing like Thompson, he´s gonna throw those 1 - 2 combos and just keep throwing them until they land.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That´s what I´m hoping for anyways.
<Fedor23>

He has dogshit TDD. Tyrun would smash him....and I can't stand Tyrun.

It’s a fight between 2 guys Rory tooled

Good point, TS.
Good thing about Diaz is that he´s not gonna stop in front of Woodley and do nothing like Thompson, he´s gonna throw those 1 - 2 combos and just keep throwing them until they land.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That´s what I´m hoping for anyways.
<Fedor23>

Tyron is similar stylistically to MJ, and look what happened to MJ. They are also almost identical in reach and height, with MJ actually being listed as an inch taller at 5'10".

Woodley is supposedly 5'9"? Diaz is 6'0".

And they both have 74 inch reach, compared to Nates 76.

MJ might actually have better overall striking than Tyron. Tyron is just a LOT stronger and faster, and a much better wrestler, which I think will be the difference.

Like I said, I have Tyron winning this fight with his wrestling/gnp, but on the feet Nate will give him problems.

Last edited:
On the bright side, the way Woodley would likely whoop Nate, it will get Colin's flunkies to come out and start parrotting in masked fear that "Tyron looked slow, he'd have no chance against Conor so why even fight him, he'd get peppered with shots" and quickly get the zombies to start droning and repeating it as if it were an undisputable fact, and that would at least keep another division free of Colin's slime.

He has dogshit TDD. Tyrun would smash him....and I can't stand Tyrun.
Everyone knows that nate cant stop a TD from his girlfreind. Tyron doesnt smash much of anything though. He doesnt even fight 95% of the time in a fight as opposed to a fighter who always forwards always looking for subs basically always active. Can woodly TKO before pace Nate sets wears on him? Or Tyron just lay and pray... again I mentioned ref is huge in this fight... wrt lay and pray and TKO opinion.

Nate Diaz < TWood > Nick Diaz

Doesn’t really matter, I doubt even a Diaz can make a TWood fight watchable...

I just don't see it man. I like Nate just as much as the next guy, but I don't think he has much for Tyron.

He gonna throw 3 or 4 1-2 combos then he's gonna get his bell rung. And its gonna happen like that several times. And that's if Woodley doesn't kick Nates lead leg off or take him down and pound him out. Nate will need every bit of durability that he has to survive this one imo.

Which Tyron Woodley performance gives you the confidence that Tyron will counter Nate Diaz over and over in boxing?

I see it happening a few times due to Woodleys speed... not very often though. His only threat in boxing is his overhand. That's all he has there.

If this fight was a boxing match instead of an MMA fight, I would pick Nate Diaz to beat the fucking breaks off of Woodley 10/10 times.

So that's what Nate has to do, he has to make this fight a pure boxing match for as long as he can. That's his path to victory.

Last edited:
I hate that Nate might wins this. All this is is a massive duck of Ferg, more ruining whole divisions, and money fights.

UFC thinks he can win. Thats the whole idea to make trilogy at 170 instead of defend because Ferg does have some legal claim to first defense.

So what they are doing is trying setup an even bigger Goldmine if Nate wins over Tyron.

Step 2 they would immediately book Connor vs Nate 3 better than ever LW champ vs WW Champion

Step 3 and the winner would then face GSP.

Then 3 divisions are hosed with champs who dont fight real contenders. LW, WW, MW

Enjoy

Last edited:
I hate that Nate might wins this. All this is is a massive duck of Ferg, more ruining whole divisions, and money fights.

UFC thinks he can win. Thats the whole idea to make trilogy instead of defend because Ferg does have some legal claim to first defense.

So what they are doing is trying setup an even bigger Goldmine if Nate wins over Tyron.

Step 2 they would immediately book Connor vs Nate 3 better than ever LW champ vs WW Champion

Then 3 divisions are hosed with champs who dont fight real contenders. LW, WW, MW

Enjoy

I'll take that over Woodley as champ tbh.

If Nates smart he will talk a lot shit. Like seriously disrespectful shit and get Tyron heated enough to head hunt in the fight. Then once in the fight slap him and keep talking shit to egg him on even further. Make him get reckless and want to take his head off on the feet to prove a point.

Tyron seems like he'd get easily rustled so it might just work.

If Nate can coax him into a stand and bang session then he has a decent shot at winning.

/
I'll take that over Woodley as champ tbh.

If Nates smart he will talk a lot shit. Like seriously disrespectful shit and get Tyron heated enough to head hunt in the fight. Then once in the fight slap him and keep talking shit to egg him on even further. Make him get reckless and want to take his head off on the feet to prove a point.

Tyron seems like he'd get easily rustled so it might just work.

If Nate can coax him into a stand and bang session then he has a decent shot at winning.
I dont mind Tyron. Yes fight style is not mine fav - my favs are always forwards gas machines - however he's an honorable champ and defends against top contenders in a timely fashion as you are supposed to. - Until now I guess. But if half the champs did like Tyron UFC would be a much better place.

If this freak show succeeds the champs will lock up several divisions progressions like FW was for a year, LW has been for a year with no one wanting to fight lose spots or could even compete for gold. Sad state IMO.

Getting in Tyrons head won't work I think. Dudes pretty smart.

I agree, Nate gives this guy hell. If Woodley isn't busy with GnP when he takes it to the ground, Nate could out work him there as well. Pressure is Tyron's only way to win.

UFC thinks he can win. Thats the whole idea to make trilogy at 170 instead of defend because Ferg does have some legal claim to first defense.

Enjoy
This.

Tyron is similar stylistically to MJ, and look what happened to MJ. They are also almost identical in reach and height, with MJ actually being listed as an inch taller at 5'10".

Woodley is supposedly 5'9"? Diaz is 6'0".

And they both have 74 inch reach, compared to Nates 76.

MJ might actually have better overall striking than Tyron. Tyron is just a LOT stronger and faster, and a much better wrestler, which I think will be the difference.

Like I said, I have Tyron winning this fight with his wrestling/gnp, but on the feet Nate will give him problems.

Remember though, in MMA being able to wrestle really well also makes you a more dangerous striker. Tyron's wrestling ability can be also be used to make his steadily improving striking more dangerous; his combos can be mixed in with the threat of single leg, double leg and other takedowns to allow for a more unpredictable standup game that's much harder to content with.

And ultimately, Diaz Woodley is an ultimate test of whether or not Woodley can put on the kind of show hardcore fans want to see. Historically, Diaz has only been in so called boring fights when his opponents had a history of being inactive and playing it ridiculously conservative. If Diaz Woodley turns into an unexciting snoozefest, it would be awfully hard to place the blame on Woodley's opponent this time.

Woodley will take him down. The deciding factor will be how effective will he be from top position, can Nate neutralise or even do some damage from the bottom (like how Bisping did to GSP). I suspect Nate's BJJ is too pure and he has a rough night on the bottom.

The only chance Nate has here is if Tyrons shoulder stops him using good takedowns

And that's the only chance

Back