1. Newly retired UFC Bantamweight & UK legend, Brad "One Punch" Pickett joins us LIVE on WEDNESDAY at 3:00 PM ET / 8:00 PM UK time. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

diarrhea. whey protein.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by strange619, Nov 8, 2006.

1. strange619 Orange Belt

strange619
    im thinking of supplementing protein, but ussually get stomach problems the first week or so. My question is, if you have diarrhea does your body not absorb the protein? or do you get the benefit, then have diarrhea?

Is it like throwing up all your dinner, then being hungry cause you didnt get some nutrition. so you have to eat again?

2. Sambo234 Guest

Sambo234
    GNC whey gave me nasty shits...

I switched to ON and haven't had any problems. Says they've got digestive enzymes in it that others don't.

3. strange619 Orange Belt

strange619
    yeah, im somewhat lactose intolerant. Im starting muscle milk.

but just just for future reference. do you need to re-up on the protein if you just finished shitting it out?

it would be reassuring to know that i still got the nutritional benefit, instead of shitting my supplement money down the toilet.

4. Babalinho ********

Babalinho
    Haven't had any problems with GNC whey. Creatine on the other hand...

5. Babalinho ********

Babalinho
    If you're lactose intolerant, maybe you should try a protein-source that doesn't come from milk? I don't know but maybe the intolerance can get worse if you push it?

SRN likes this.
  6. strange619 Orange Belt

strange619
    muscle milk is made of pooh if im correct.:icon_chee

7. Babalinho ********

Babalinho
    Sorry about that, my misstake.

8. XTrainer Red Belt

XTrainer
    Wow, lots of misinformation here:

1. Protein sources other than whey-for PWO-are sub-standard at best. That goes double for soy.
    2. If you're lactose intolerant, get whey protein isolate, or which someone else mentioned, ON 100% Gold Standard. It is mostly isolate and has Aminogen to help your body digest what lactose it does have. It won't give you any problems, unless you are SEVERELY lactose intolerant.
    3. Muscle Milk is not soy! Saying so is border-line blasphemy on this forum. Search my Muscle Milk thread if you want to know more about it.
    4. By all means, read the FAQs and search around a little bit. You don't "switch from whey protein to Muscle Milk." They serve two COMPLETELY differnent roles in your diet. It's like saying "I've switched from vegtables to chicken."

9. Clint07 You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature?

Clint07
    Muscle Milk is a whey and Casein blend. There is no soy in it.

Questions:
    * What protein gives you the diarrhea? The Muscle Milk or was it a previous brand? Have you tried a Whey Isolate?

* Does it stop after a week?

10. Egg_Sauce01 Blue Belt

Egg_Sauce01
    Anybody have an answer to this?

11. skeet Grammar Nazi

skeet
    That gave me quite a chuckle.

12. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    Soy milk?

13. strange619 Orange Belt

strange619
    now how bout answering the other question.

14. Maleldil White Belt

Maleldil
    ON 100% Gold Standard is great whey, and it was the cheapest they had at GNC the other day. To answer the question, whey protein gets absorbed into your bloodstream very quickly (around a half an hour, if I'm not mistaken) so it should still give you the benefits even if you do have diarrhea. Remember, with diarrhea the stuff still has to go through your system, so you do get much of the nutrients, as opposed to vomiting, where the stuff only gets into your stomach and then comes out. Your large and small intestines are where most nutrients are absorbed, so I wouldn't double up on protein just as a result of diarrhea. Note: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. If you really have trouble, talk to a real doctor and find out what you can do.

15. $ick Money! Orange Belt

$ick Money!
    I am incredibly lactose intolerant. I get bloated and constipated with the smallest amount of whey protein from cows milk. I have been using "Goatein" goat protein from Garden of Life and Oryx brand goat whey protein. Goats milk is lactose free and is easy to digest. I usually put a teaspoon of benefiber in as well.

16. GainsUPX White Belt

GainsUPX
    My coach recommended the ON brand and failed miserably. I spent two weeks trying trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with me and I narrowed it down to the whey.

17. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    I just use matrix soy protein, I would like to know of a better alternative though.

I am allergic to cows milk proteins so you can isolate all you want and I'll still bleed internally.