Di Nardo Boxing

Please don’t make cheaper stock versions of your glove. I like the ideal standard.

Please don’t make cheaper stock versions of your glove. I like the ideal standard.

Yeah that's probably better.

Having watered down models can create controversial images of the entire brand...

*looking at you, Mr. Everlast*

As stated, there is nothing in the pipeline.

We don't deal in stock - it'd be rather difficult as we - he - only trust(s) his hands to create any Di Nardo product. There is no big manufacturing line where mistakes can be made and corners be cut. Each glove is like a piece of art and the boss wouldn't sign off anything he deemed unworthy of his name such is his passion.

As stated, there is nothing in the pipeline.

We don't deal in stock - it'd be rather difficult as we - he - only trust(s) his hands to create any Di Nardo product. There is no big manufacturing line where mistakes can be made and corners be cut. Each glove is like a piece of art and the boss wouldn't sign off anything he deemed unworthy of his name such is his passion.

2 questions.

Just curious, would you be able to create a 10oz training model (if you don't have that already)

And.. what about a 16oz. version of fight gloves?

2 questions.

Just curious, would you be able to create a 10oz training model (if you don't have that already)

And.. what about a 16oz. version of fight gloves?

Yes and yes.

The metallic gold 'POP' pair in the OP are 10oz training gloves.

Aesthetically they're some of the uglier gloves I have seen, they do look like knockoff grants, that are rather lumpy. However aesthetics mean nothing in terms of the quality of the glove. I'd love to try some one day and compare them to Cleto Reyes or Grants, but at the price I can't see it being worth it yet.

@StRatoCastR @hangulmalmotayo

Thank you for you kind words.

Our equipment is expensive - something we'll never hide from. However, I can assure you that it isn't all profit. Our products are handcrafted by the one man throughout the whole creation period using only the premier of materials available; luxurious calfskin tanned and processed using traditional Italian methods (considered the finest in the world~!), virtually indestructable kevlar wire stitching, a water and tear resistant silver-thread lining, the guarantee of the re-padding service, express shipping (~3 days) - all of which are included in the price.

Attached is an image of a pair of Masons gloves that a client wanted re-padded and branding with the new Di Nardo logo. The glove structure and the leather were still bordering on immaculate considering the gloves had a good couple of years of intense use.
View attachment 303813

Our overwhelming interest, in the knowledge of our own pricing, is to offer a service to match that value and give satisfaction to our clients.

You mention you only use calfskin, why?? To my knowledge while it is softer. It is not more durable than full grown cowskin. Also goat skin is also ideal in regards to glove making.

Kevlar stitching is also unnecessary as stitching problems are usually from poor execution not necessarily the material.

I suppose you having the most expensive gloves on the market is an interesting angle in a society where the most expensive = the best.

Your gloves have a nice hand made look to them. Best wishes and luck to you !

l@nd0 .

You mention you only use calfskin, why?? To my knowledge while it is softer. It is not more durable than full grown cowskin. Also goat skin is also ideal in regards to glove making.

Kevlar stitching is also unnecessary as stitching problems are usually from poor execution not necessarily the material.

I suppose you having the most expensive gloves on the market is an interesting angle in a society where the most expensive = the best.

Your gloves have a nice hand made look to them. Best wishes and luck to you !

l@nd0 .

Thank you for making all these points, as I was thinking the same exact thing, specifically the calf leather and the price tag.

Seems like more and more glove makers are going straight into the high end market without building a reputation first and then just expecting us consumers to buy into their marketing claims and fork over hundreds of dollars for a product that I highly doubt could be that much better than the more established brands.

I can’t say i’m a fan of this recent trend as I like to try many different brands but something tells me at the rate these brands are popping up it’ll only be a matter of time before the market is over saturated.

Thank you for making all these points, as I was thinking the same exact thing, specifically the calf leather and the price tag.

Seems like more and more glove makers are going straight into the high end market without building a reputation first and then just expecting us consumers to buy into their marketing claims and fork over hundreds of dollars for a product that I highly doubt could be that much better than the more established brands.

I can’t say i’m a fan of this recent trend as I like to try many different brands but something tells me at the rate these brands are popping up it’ll only be a matter of time before the market is over saturated.

Exactly right. I love Grant gloves and they came up the hardway, but now every glove maker thinks they're Elvis Grant and entitled to high money straight away.

Exactly right. I love Grant gloves and they came up the hardway, but now every glove maker thinks they're Elvis Grant and entitled to high money straight away.
The great thing about the free market is no one is forcing you to buy it.

" WHEN KEEPING IT REAL GOES RIGHT ".

<Y2JSmirk>

I obviously have never tried Di Nardo gloves, so they may be the best gloves in the world for all I know. At the end of the day these are luxury items. And are obviously for the "look at me" athletes for use in glamor shots with fake inspirational quotes on social media.

But like I said, I wish the Di Nardo brand good luck. Because if they truly have a superior product then they will do well.

<VinceCa$h> .

So in an ideal world (the world that I would like to inhabit), the aim of Di Nardo is not fundamentally economic profit, but rather the creation of something that is intrinsically beautiful. That an artist's artwork result in financial prosperity is accidental to the art itself; that is, a true artist does not create art for the sake of something else (money, honor, fame, power, etc.). On the contrary, the artist produces art for its own sake. The result is therefore something that has a goodness and beauty intrinsic to itself. If this is what Di Nardo is doing (ignoring the tension that arises from the fact that boxing gloves have an end that is explicitly extrinsic, namely, to aid in the art of pugilism), then one can understand why he has chosen not to go the route of low quality, mass produced gloves (falling from the ideal form of boxing gloveness) to what he considers to be as close as possible to the ideal glove. As a result, the glove will not appeal to the masses—nor are they intended for the masses—but rather they will appeal to those who can truly appreciate this or that particular glove that more closely attains to the ideal form. Thus, in his own way, Di Nardo pursues and attempts to uphold a certain standard of beauty even at the cost of economic profit.

Or maybe not. It might just be a poorly formed business plan that will eventually lead to failure. Or a ploy to get gearheads to spend an exorbitant amount of money on gloves that will perform no better than the next.

Who really knows? I'd like to live in a world where the former at least has the possibility of truth. If that means that there will exist a pair of boxing gloves that I cannot afford and will never use, so be it.

@Woldog - whilst I'll agree that the previous incarnation of our logo was somewhat similar, I fail to see how they resemble 'cheap, knock-off' Grants.

We also weren't born into the equipment trade with a silver spoon in our mouth. We had the Masons brand for years until a 'friend' decided to run up debts, shave of our logo and add their own destroying our reputation in the process. Sr. Filippo was left with nothing after that so he's not exactly without hardship.

@dembones22 - Sr. Filippo is from a generational line of Italian tailors, He's pretty clued in on leather and stitching. However GENERALLY calfskin is used - these are bespoke items so the options there to choose. The gloves are built to last year's of intense use hence the intricacies such as kevlar stitching etc.

"Look at me" Athletes? This is rather offensive considering the effort that is put into each gloves. We're not hear to look pretty in silence - hence the acceptance of some of the largest governing bodies in boxing. Our aim is to sit atop the summit as the chosen gloves of fighters and champions.

@hangulmalmotayo - exactly right. You can't please everyone.

We're not a big corporation with huge backing. We are building on quality alone for pride not profit.

@Woldog - whilst I'll agree that the previous incarnation of our logo was somewhat similar, I fail to see how they resemble 'cheap, knock-off' Grants.

We also weren't born into the equipment trade with a silver spoon in our mouth. We had the Masons brand for years until a 'friend' decided to run up debts, shave of our logo and add their own destroying our reputation in the process. Sr. Filippo was left with nothing after that so he's not exactly without hardship.

@dembones22 - Sr. Filippo is from a generational line of Italian tailors, He's pretty clued in on leather and stitching. However GENERALLY calfskin is used - these are bespoke items so the options there to choose. The gloves are built to last year's of intense use hence the intricacies such as kevlar stitching etc.

"Look at me" Athletes? This is rather offensive considering the effort that is put into each gloves. We're not hear to look pretty in silence - hence the acceptance of some of the largest governing bodies in boxing. Our aim is to sit atop the summit as the chosen gloves of fighters and champions.

@hangulmalmotayo - exactly right. You can't please everyone.

We're not a big corporation with huge backing. We are building on quality alone for pride not profit.

Yes. you can generally construct boxing gloves or what have you, of what ever source hide you choose. Calfskin specifically is more expensive than cowhide because of its softness and fine grain as well as It's scarcity compared to cowhide. So my point is while Calfskin might seem more luxurious it is not necessarily more durable than the thicker cowhide. Might as well use horse hide as in my opinion it trumps both in terms of durability.

And you are welcome to continue to use your Kevlar stitching, but it will only be as effective as the stitch work. I have never had a stitching problem with any of my Winning pairs and they use the standard nylon stitching. No Kevlar needed. Just excellent stitch work.

Regards, and best wishes.

<Goldie11> .

@dembones22 - we shall continue to use kevlar stitching AND excellent stitch work aswell as the finest leather on the market.

Whilst you may think it is all for show with little substance, we know that is not the case as do our clients and fighters.

The performance mirrors the build and all match the price.

<13>

So in an ideal world (the world that I would like to inhabit), the aim of Di Nardo is not fundamentally economic profit, but rather the creation of something that is intrinsically beautiful. That an artist's artwork result in financial prosperity is accidental to the art itself; that is, a true artist does not create art for the sake of something else (money, honor, fame, power, etc.). On the contrary, the artist produces art for its own sake. The result is therefore something that has a goodness and beauty intrinsic to itself. If this is what Di Nardo is doing (ignoring the tension that arises from the fact that boxing gloves have an end that is explicitly extrinsic, namely, to aid in the art of pugilism), then one can understand why he has chosen not to go the route of low quality, mass produced gloves (falling from the ideal form of boxing gloveness) to what he considers to be as close as possible to the ideal glove. As a result, the glove will not appeal to the masses—nor are they intended for the masses—but rather they will appeal to those who can truly appreciate this or that particular glove that more closely attains to the ideal form. Thus, in his own way, Di Nardo pursues and attempts to uphold a certain standard of beauty even at the cost of economic profit.

Or maybe not. It might just be a poorly formed business plan that will eventually lead to failure. Or a ploy to get gearheads to spend an exorbitant amount of money on gloves that will perform no better than the next.

Who really knows? I'd like to live in a world where the former at least has the possibility of truth. If that means that there will exist a pair of boxing gloves that I cannot afford and will never use, so be it.

I hadn’t considered that first point and while I did not get that impression from his video interview it may still very well be the case.

I hadn’t considered that first point and while I did not get that impression from his video interview it may still very well be the case.

It most definitely is the case. He's always said that an artist is never truly appreciated for his work until he dies.

Sr. Filippo is a very humble man, as his interview with Elie Seckbach shows, but he is fiercely determined to have his brand recognised as the best on the planet.

I mean, like I said, I don't know. But this is maybe the more charitable interpretation of the matter.

The ambivalence of it all arises in the fact that gloves are not typically the object of bare admiration as other works of art. One does not create a piece of art except so that it might be the object of wonder and admiration rather than for use. That is, it is not an instrument for the sake of something else. This is obviously not so for boxing gloves, which have the express purpose of punching other people in the face...

@hangulmalmotayo - Oh but they are to be admired. A large majority of boxing fans notice the gloves a fighter uses just as much as they do the fighter themselves.

Everyone knew Mayweather wore Grants.

Everyone knows Loma uses Rival.

Everyone knows Pacquaio uses Cleto Reyes.

Back