deviated septum?

Discussion in 'Ask The Fighters' started by TKDBJJ, Mar 25, 2010.

1. TKDBJJ White Belt

TKDBJJ
    I went to the Nose and Throat Doctor and he said I have the worst deviated septum he has ever seen. Essentially, the left nasal passage is 99% blocked. It has gotten to where I can barely breathe with a mouthpiece in.

Doctor recommends surgery. No training for at least 3 weeks. I am over 40 now so I only train/spar with competitors now.

Has anyone had this surgery and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. Pilgrim35 Blue Belt

Pilgrim35
    I have a deviated septum, but I'm not currently fighting or scheduled to have surgery to correct it...so, there's that to consider.

I would recommend it if you can't breathe with a mouthpiece and you want to keep sparring/training/fighting in any serious capacity though.

Also, I would recommend it to Dana White...honestly, the guy either has the worst perpetually congested nose or has a seriously deviated septum. I can't stand hearing him talk because of the way it makes his voice sound, all nasal and stuffed up.

3. urFriesMustard Orange Belt

urFriesMustard
    Read Joe Rogans Blog entry here. He had the same thing and he describes, vividly, what he went through. It is a hysterical read.
    Demon loads, nose rape and the West Palm Beach Improv Comedian Joe Rogan

4. fredrik1982** Purple Belt

fredrik1982**
    Get the surgery dude, the little bit of time off will seem like nothing when you're sparring and able to breath at the same time.

5. Valhalla44 White Belt

Valhalla44
    I've had it done, not fun, but well worth it, not just for sport, but for sleep at night. The worst part is when they have to pull the gauze out....I still shudder at that.

6. maxm2000 White Belt

maxm2000
    I had it done 10 years ago. It's not much fun for the first weeks but it's absolutely worth it.

7. Gawd Banned

Gawd
    Yea, they use an amazing amount of gauze...

TS: you have obviously broken your nose in the past and the surgery consists essentially of rebreaking it and straightening it. I'm sure there is quite a lot of information on the internet. The not sparring period is of course there to avoid breaking it yet again while it's healing up.

8. ArchAngelos Blue Belt

ArchAngelos
    I had a septoplasty a few years ago. Took me about a three weeks before I could work out again and about six weeks before I could get any sparring in. Nose kept bleeding. My first bout afterward, I took one shot to the top of my head and all of the blood clotting shot out of my nostrils. Regardless, the improvement it makes to your breathing is well worth it. Even the tampon nunchuks that they stick up your nostrils to absorb the blood after surgery and pull out before they send you home was worth it. It sucked royally but it was definitely worth it.

9. fshrmn White Belt

fshrmn
    I had the surgury 5 years ago (Dr also said mine was VERY BAD). I didn't much like waking up to having a tampon cramed up each nostril very much. It took me about 3 weeks to heal up, but I also had my tonsils and adinoids taken out so it added to it.

My nose was very tender for months after and when I was headbutted (accidently) it took it awhile to heal up.

As far as sparing, there are always going to be times when you will re-injure it from just slight contact, my nose still makes sounds like the cartilige is grinding when moved around but I'll tell ya what, It is so nice to breath again!!!

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Jim