Derrick Lewis on Francis Ngannou's pay: Give me $500K to gas out

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis doesn’t mind fighting his way down the rankings.

Whether it’s would-be opponent Fabricio Werdum, Mark Hunt or Marcin Tybura – whom he meets this weekend at UFC Fight Night 126 – the ultimate goal is to stack some paper.

“For sure, that’s all I really care about,” Lewis (21-7-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC) told MMAjunkie Radio in advance of his FS1-televised co-headliner against Tybura (16-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) on Sunday at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

It takes only one look at what others are making to get Lewis motivated. Take, for instance, his would-be rival Francis Ngannou (11-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC), who just fell short of the heavyweight title and made a pretty penny in a losing decision to champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 220.

“Now that I’ve seen that – what’s his name, Francis (Ngannou)? – he got $500,000 just fighting for the belt,” Lewis said. “Let me fight for the belt next. They can give me $500,000. (Expletive), I’m going to gas out too.

“Guaranteed $500,000? You don’t have to worry about me training before a camp. I’ll be drinking a beer right after weigh-ins.”

Lewis, No. 13 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA heavyweight rankings, trolled No. 2 Ngannou immediately after the title fight, hopping on a treadmill and doing a poor imitation of the Cameroonian heavyweight. The two have traded shots in interviews, but Lewis professes not to have watched the UFC 220 headliner.

“Everybody keeps saying that,” Lewis said. “No, I didn’t (watch). A friend of mine Facetimed me, and that’s the only reason I saw the highlights. And I started watching reruns of ‘Martin.'”

Lewis now devotes his free time to training for Tybura, an honorable mention in the rankings who recently fell short to Werdum after a three-fight winning streak. Lewis doesn’t underestimate the threat.

“It’s the heavyweight division,” he said. “Anyone can win. It just takes one punch. So it doesn’t matter if he’s ranked No. 15 or the No. 1 guy. I take each and every fight like it’s going to be my toughest opponent.”

“The guy came Wednesday, I sparred him, and I knocked him out in the first few seconds,” he said. “Saturday, when the invitation wasn’t open any more, some random dude came up. Big guy. And I head-kicked him the first few seconds too. We’ve got video on them both. I can’t post it because the coach is talking about a lawsuit, even though he signed a waiver.

“He said he didn’t know I was going to throw kicks.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/02/ufc-derrick-lewis-francis-ngannou-pay-give-me-500k-gas-out

Lewis needs to finish some big fights.

Black Beast is a seriously funny mo-fo, even when he's not trying to be.

Dude could be a stand-up comedian, easily.

Last edited:
BB has wanted Francis for a while now...Might as well make this fight.

Rooting for BB.

If UFC has any sense, they would make Black Beast VS Ngannou soon.

Don't hate, Derek. You might be able to gas out as well as he does, BUT can you take those punches like he did?

He finished that fight with Stipe looking like he'd been hit by a truck and him looking like he was tired from sparring.

Most HWs in the world would have looooong been unconscious.

So don't pretend you can do that. You can't.

Don't hate, Derek. You might be able to gas out as well as he does, BUT can you take those punches like he did?

He finished that fight with Stipe looking like he'd been hit by a truck and him looking like he was tired from sparring.

Lewis would pummel ngannou he’s got some beast wins on his record over gonzaga Browne and Nelson who wouldn’t even stand and bang with him
Hunt would probably do to ngannou what he did to Lewis too not many people can stand with hunt in mma

Yeah I love Lewis but his chin is passable at best for a HW.

Ngannou might not have much more than 1rnd of gas, but against Lewis I don't think he'd need more.

Plus, Lewis himself was looking pretty tired against Hunto (who doesn't exactly push the pace)

Talks a lot of shit for about Francis gassing out for a guy who couldn't keep pace with Mark Hunt

Lol at black beast watching reruns of Martin.
giphy.gif

Call me uptight or whatever but can't really get behind fighters who dont take sport serious. HW is already looked at as joke do we really need a guy who brags about drinking 40s, looks like a tow truck driver and gasses every fight?

LOL shut up Lewis, you gas out too in every fight as well. You literally quite in the Mark Hunt fight because you couldn't stand anymore. This dude is annoying, I hope Francis KTFO him

Yeah I love Lewis but his chin is passable at best for a HW.

Ngannou might not have much more than 1rnd of gas, but against Lewis I don't think he'd need more.

Plus, Lewis himself was looking pretty tired against Hunto (who doesn't exactly push the pace)
Joke is I love Lewis too but to me there are very few HWs who are going to last 5 rounds with Stipe AND look like they just had a tough sparring session after being totally dominated for 25 minutes.

Most would be unconscious or tapped. To me, what I learned about Ngannou that night is nothing about his fight skill, which I never imagined to be anywhere near Stipe's, or his ground game, which I never imagined to be good, but it was about his durability, which I didn't expect and his heart, which was almost inhuman.

Who else wants to have Stipe laying on them and hitting them for 25 minutes? Who else wouldn't find a way to let Stipe submit them or stop defending and give him the TKO?

The guy has the heart of a champion, the chin of a champion, the power of a champion (things that cannot be taught) and the only thing he's missing is something he can learn - skill (and cardio).

Lewis would have given up or been KO'd. But I love the guy. I think Ngannou showed he's early to the table but has the qualities of a future dominant champ. I can't say Lewis has those qualities.

why is he bragging about ko over training partners?

Back