Depression and Negative thoughts first thing in the morning?

That's rough dude. I was a daily drinker for about a decade, going through 1.75-3.50 liters of vodka a day depending on how much I slept in a 24 hr cycle. After enduring a series of grand mal seizures I decided to never again risk it and so I'd literally sleep with a bottle under my arm so that it was there for me whenever I'd inevitably be jolted awake in terror from the DTs. I solved the seizure problem by simply drinking round the clock, which I'd resigned myself to doing for the rest of my life. But then one morning, without any warning, my liver and kidneys shut down and I spent 4 days in the ICU on a breathing tube with a dialysis machine plugged into my jugular. This was a few years ago in my early 30s. I'd always just assumed I wouldn't have to worry about organ failure until my 60s. Nope

I don't mean to preach, but that^^ is the eventual inevitable reality for you if you continue this. You can still stop at this point, but you're gonna need a medical detox to survive the potentially lethal alcohol withdrawal. PM me if you'd like to discuss how or where to get detoxed, or anything else
I appreciate it. I feel like too many people are depending on me and I cannot afford a legit detox.. shit sucks but I gotta be strong

How much do you have to drink to get to that point? I'm by all measures a heavy drinker but I've never even gotten the shakes
It starts when you start drinking in the morning imo

I appreciate it. I feel like too many people are depending on me and I cannot afford a legit detox.. shit sucks but I gotta be strong
How did alcohol effect you when you first started drinking?

I find I actually want to drink more, but I dont enjoy it enough to justify it. It would be amazing to have something to look forward to after work, to de-stress and wind down for bed. I'm a very high strung person. But every time I drink I'm left just feeling disappointed. Its like 30 minutes of feeling pretty good, and then day(s) of just feeling kind of gross while my body gets rid of it.

How much do you have to drink to get to that point? I'm by all measures a heavy drinker but I've never even gotten the shakes
For me, I crossed the line with alcoholism when I started drinking in the mornings (and then throughout the day/night of course). That's when my central nervous system shifted to 24hr overdrive to combat the now 24hr presence of high volume depressant alcohol in my blood/brain, and that's when I started getting DTs every time I attempted to quit

So for me, the day drinking is what took my alcoholism to another horrific level. I'd been a nightly drinker free of withdrawals for the 6 years prior, but the DTs showed up within months of day drinking

If you don't have insurance perhaps there's a local state-funded detox? I know in Florida we have one for Broward County residents. And it's not ideal, but the EMTALA is a federal law which requires all US hospital ERs to admit and stabilize anyone seeking emergency care regardless of ability to pay. I myself have done a few hospital detoxes, and while they weren't exactly comfortable, they kept me alive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

And finally as a last resort, you can try detoxing yourself by weaning off alcohol. It's extremely hard to do and requires a ton of self-discipline and it will be very uncomfortable, but I have managed to do it successfully a handful of times. I should say tho that for every 1 time I was able to detox myself, there were probably about 5 times that I failed

Last edited:
I meditate daily, if you'd like I can link you to the mediation I've been doing lately

If you don't have insurance perhaps there's a local state-funded detox? I know in Florida we have one for Broward County residents. And it's not ideal, but the EMTALA is a federal law which requires all US hospital ERs to admit and stabilize anyone seeking emergency care regardless of ability to pay. I myself have done a few hospital detoxes, and while they weren't exactly comfortable, they kept me alive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

And finally as a last resort, you can try detoxing yourself by weaning off alcohol. It's extremely hard to do and requires a ton of self-discipline and it will be very uncomfortable, but I have managed to do it successfully a handful of times. I should say tho that for every 1 time I was able to detox myself, there were probably about 5 times that I failed
I have a job I cant afford to lose.

I've been way worse off. I just try to keep it in check

How did alcohol effect you when you first started drinking?

I find I actually want to drink more, but I dont enjoy it enough to justify it. It would be amazing to have something to look forward to after work, to de-stress and wind down for bed. I'm a very high strung person. But every time I drink I'm left just feeling disappointed. Its like 30 minutes of feeling pretty good, and then day(s) of just feeling kind of gross while my body gets rid of it.
It's not something that happens overnight
I didn't start drinking in the morning until I was 10 years deep drinking every day

I'll be pulling for you buddeh. Alcoholism is a living nightmare, a slow tortuous death. But you can beat it

I'll be pulling for you buddeh. Alcoholism is a living nightmare but you can beat it
It killed my father. I try real hard to keep it in check.

If I can have a night where I keep it under 6 drinks that's a victory at this point

Anyone else get depressed and hateful and spiteful when they first wake up.

But once you get moving and get out of the house you feel progressively better.

What are some tactics you guys have used to deal with depresssion in your late 20s and early 30s.
I just feel depressed and anxious all damn day. Nothing helps. Tired of feeling like this.

Thoughts are like muscle memory. Your brain strengthens neurological pathways that are used the most often so it's easier to come back to certain thoughts the more you think about them. Retrain your mind.

Having a goal and a plan helps. The first thing I do in the morning is to get ready to work out so the first thing on my mind is "how much am I going to squat/bench/deadlift today?"

Yup wake and bake usually cures the fuck out the problems ailing ts
I wish I could wake and bake and be productive. I used to in my teens and early 20s but nowadays it knocks my dick in the dirt

Anywhere from a pint to a 5th a day for several months will do it. I got to the point I couldnt even work anymore.

I went through a decent depression spell, and had similar mornings. I printed this off and taped it to my mirror. Because it's funny, and served as a reminder to focus on the positive.
images

Look into a book called The Happiness Trap. It uses ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).

Basically, the mistake most people make is trying to control their thoughts, falsely believing they can "get rid of" negative thoughts. Instead, you choose to listen to the thoughts that are helpful for your values and recognize that all thoughts are just that... thoughts your brain is creating. That is called defusion, when you recognize thoughts for what they are.
Or get a job you like or buy a shotgun.

3 good options.

@Steven_Universe sorry to hear you feel that way, m personally at night time I get excited that I will be eating steak and eggs for breakfast and earning money throughout the day so when I wake up I tell myself to cronch down on breakfast, it works a charm

1. Light workout to get the body moving.
2. Cup of coffee
3. Shower.
4. Head off to work.

Stay away from your phone.
Stay away from the news.

Read the news or answer missed calls during your coffee break at work.

I'm getting this pretty heavily right now and it's a product of my current circumstances. I recently left my job and moved back home to get help for alcoholism. My sleep schedule is super messed up right now, and I woke up at 2pm today. I laid in bed for about a half hour just hating life.

It seems that getting up and moving around a bit is helping though. Doing simple chores is helping me keep my mind off of things. Sort of kicking myself for allowing it to get this bad, but all I can do is push forward I guess. Good times.

Does your employer have an EAP that could help get you into a detox, or outpatient type thing? It's always better to get help, even if it interrupts life for a while. I'm going through the same thing right now. Good luck man.

Back