Deontay Wilder's power

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't

He landed his bomb on both Stiverne and Duhupaus and didn't sleep either of them. This idea that all he needs to is land a right hand to put Wlad to sleep is silly. Top level fighters know how to take those shots better, especially Wlad, he leans with shots and controls the range.

There's more chance Wlad puts Wilder to sleep than vice versa imo. Wlad's right hand is famously destructive and he's never been put out with one shot.
Do you think Wlad is as durable as Stiverne?

What power? Lol I was helping him with strength and condioning a year or two ago and we sparred a little and power is not his strength.. granted, I'm 6'3 243 lbs but still .. guys like the klitchkos, Joshua, Ortiz, etc would have no problem with his power .. his strength is his speed and conditioning
Oh?

@RR

The thing I noticed about Wilder is his reach and range A lot of his opponents thinks he's miles away because of the way he sets it up. Then BBAAAAMMMM. BOMB SQUAD!!!!!! Catches them from a good distance away. Well outside of normal boxing range.
He knocks people out from jab range
Hes really awkward to get a feel on for timing and distance. Seems like he can knock your dome off from an inch away or across the ring.

He's got decent power but he's no Marciano. Marciano knocked peoples block off

Marciano was like a windmill. Just kept throwing bomb after bomb without ever backing down or slowing down. He had good power but what made him great was the volume of power shots and pace that he put on other fighters along with his iron chin.

Wilder is a more typical power puncher who picks his shots and when he lands it's good night.

Last edited:
Ridiculous shot? He just about took Szpilka's head off with a textbook counter punch.

That's a good shot. Good technique, good power.

The snap was beautiful, when you penetrate like that it feels so soft and perfect. Delicious consumption...

He's knocking fools out, so I guess so.

Technically? He's terrible. There are times where I think he's doing the criss cross dance move.

But...

He's knocking fools out...

Lol whatever...

The more I think about it and go back and watch both guys fights, I think AJ will win pretty one sided. I thought it was a 50/50 fight after AJ/Klitschko. But Wilder is too wild. he really is, he just over commits way too hard sometimes and I dunno if he can take the kind of shots Joshua would throw at him when he's stumbled over from some wild hook.

I'd like to see Wilder win to help bring heavyweight prestige back to America, but I don't know if he's going to keep improving as a fighter. I feel like AJ is getting better and better and Wilder has sort of been the same fighter for the last 2 years.

The more I think about it and go back and watch both guys fights, I think AJ will win pretty one sided. I thought it was a 50/50 fight after AJ/Klitschko. But Wilder is too wild. he really is, he just over commits way too hard sometimes and I dunno if he can take the kind of shots Joshua would throw at him when he's stumbled over from some wild hook.

I'd like to see Wilder win to help bring heavyweight prestige back to America, but I don't know if he's going to keep improving as a fighter. I feel like AJ is getting better and better and Wilder has sort of been the same fighter for the last 2 years.

Yes this is how I see it. Deontay is dangerous as anyone with that sort of power is but I don't really see the critical improvements in Wilders game for me to think he beats AJ in a boxing match. If AJ chooses to stand and trade bombs with Wilder then it's a 50/50 fight but not in a boxing match.

Yes this is how I see it. Deontay is dangerous as anyone with that sort of power is but I don't really see the critical improvements in Wilders game for me to think he beats AJ in a boxing match. If AJ chooses to stand and trade bombs with Wilder then it's a 50/50 fight but not in a boxing match.
AJ isnt much of a planner. Dude comes to fight (and its awesome).

The proof is in the pudding

Eventually his power always seems to come through, but his power hasn't been special enough to get some of the better fighters he's faced down until the later rounds, it seems to take him time to find the right shot. He was landing big shots on Spzilka, Duahpus and Stiverne and for the most part they were soaking it up. Spz looked like he could take the power until he got cleaned with a ridiculous shot.

I think his undoing against the best guys will be that he's not going to have time to get his power off, he can definitely KO a guy early if he lands the right shot, but it's less likely than him getting caught and overwhelmed imo.

Joshua seems to have the more George Foreman style power in that he hits like a truck with both hands and when he puts them together, most guys fold. Wilder is more like a HW Tommy Hearns. Wlad still hits like a truck too, especially when he generates a lot of snap on the right hand. I'd still put his one shot power in the same category as Wilder and Joshua.

He (Wlad) is accurate and powerful. He put Joshua down with a 1-2 whereas Joshua needed a barrage to do the same to Wlad. There is something revealing there about both men, their perceived power and their perceived ability to take a punch. Additionally, Wlad's power has been tested against more credible opponents. Wilder's competition is so bad that when Tyson was interviewed ringside AT THE FIGHT, between Wilder and Spzilka, Tyson kept calling him "Spilky", and drew attention to the lack of talent that Wilder has been facing that very night when all the colour commentators were trying to build him up.

Anyway, I agree with what you are saying, just thought I'd tack on my angle as well fwiw...

AJ isnt much of a planner. Dude comes to fight (and its awesome).
He does I just don't think it's a good idea against someone with Wilders power and reach. Would make for a great fight though!

None of these guys is immensely more talented or less vulnerable than the others.
Fury, Joshua and Klitschko are all much better boxers than Wilder. His technique is not great at all and he's fought nobody.

Back