Deontay Wilder's power

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
his power is out of this world, probably the best one punch power of all time

I get it that he hasn't really been tested with elite fighters, and his technical ability isn't all that good

but his power will always be a factor in a fight, when he lands its over

Deontay-Wilder.jpg

Eventually his power always seems to come through, but his power hasn't been special enough to get some of the better fighters he's faced down until the later rounds, it seems to take him time to find the right shot. He was landing big shots on Spzilka, Duahpus and Stiverne and for the most part they were soaking it up. Spz looked like he could take the power until he got cleaned with a ridiculous shot.

I think his undoing against the best guys will be that he's not going to have time to get his power off, he can definitely KO a guy early if he lands the right shot, but it's less likely than him getting caught and overwhelmed imo.

Joshua seems to have the more George Foreman style power in that he hits like a truck with both hands and when he puts them together, most guys fold. Wilder is more like a HW Tommy Hearns. Wlad still hits like a truck too, especially when he generates a lot of snap on the right hand. I'd still put his one shot power in the same category as Wilder and Joshua.

I say only way to measure power is by going against the elites especially in the HW division all those guys hit like semi's. Personally I think Wilders power will be nullified against any top 5 HW when size, experience, speed, etc becomes elite alot of so called "sluggers" tend to fade.

I say only way to measure power is by going against the elites especially in the HW division all those guys hit like semi's. Personally I think Wilders power will be nullified against any top 5 HW when size, experience, speed, etc becomes elite alot of so called "sluggers" tend to fade.
Agreed. The power won't matter against the elite heavyweights because they can outbox Wilder. If/when he gets in the ring with a top 5 heavy, people will see how one dimensional he really is. Just really hope his next opponent isn't Bellew; would like to see him fight stiffer competition.

His power is poorly delivered, and he has yet to fight a Joshua, Klitschko, or even a Povetkin.

Greatest Power Puncher boxing has ever seen. No other figher has delivered punches so sloppy and done the damage he has. Imanige if he has Tyson or Lenox techiune, he would kill people.

Eventually his power always seems to come through, but his power hasn't been special enough to get some of the better fighters he's faced down until the later rounds, it seems to take him time to find the right shot. He was landing big shots on Spzilka, Duahpus and Stiverne and for the most part they were soaking it up. Spz looked like he could take the power until he got cleaned with a ridiculous shot.
Ridiculous shot? He just about took Szpilka's head off with a textbook counter punch.

That's a good shot. Good technique, good power.

Im not saying that no one can beat him, by any means, but who are these untouchable boxer HWs that will dance circles around Wilder?

Joshua....? This version of Wlad...? Ortiz? Fury has the best chance of this and his chin is very much there to be cracked as well.

Is there a new Ali Im not aware of?

I think his undoing against the best guys will be that he's not going to have time to get his power off, he can definitely KO a guy early if he lands the right shot, but it's less likely than him getting caught and overwhelmed imo.

Joshua seems to have the more George Foreman style power in that he hits like a truck with both hands and when he puts them together, most guys fold. Wilder is more like a HW Tommy Hearns. Wlad still hits like a truck too, especially when he generates a lot of snap on the right hand. I'd still put his one shot power in the same category as Wilder and Joshua.
Hm. Stiverne almost died in the first round and Duhaupas looked like Sloth from The Goonies. Duhaupas was nearly knocked out in the 5th and the ref almost made them stop it in the 7th.

his power is out of this world, probably the best one punch power of all time

I get it that he hasn't really been tested with elite fighters, and his technical ability isn't all that good

but his power will always be a factor in a fight, when he lands its over

Deontay-Wilder.jpg

Julian Jackson, Sonny Liston, George Foreman and Earnie shavers

Which a hand? One is Julian Jackson strong

He's got decent power but he's no Marciano. Marciano knocked peoples block off

Why does anyone need to dance circles around him to beat him? When has Wilder proven the ability to absorb the punches of a legit puncher, or shown the ability to overcome real adversity? He's ridiculously untested and unproven even after eight and a half years as a pro, with his solitary test being a bang average boxer who won a vacant belt over Chris Arreola, ffs.

I'd understand it if he was actually going out there and putting in impressive performances but he isn't. He's been consistently struggling against fringe level operators. It's kinda of embarrassing that American boxing is pinning its hopes on such an underwhelming prospect. Even Michael Grant had better credentials going into the Lewis fight.

Why does anyone need to dance circles around him to beat him? When has Wilder proven the ability to absorb the punches of a legit puncher, or shown the ability to overcome real adversity? He's ridiculously untested and unproven even after eight and a half years as a pro, with his solitary test being a bang average boxer who won a vacant belt over Chris Arreola, ffs.

I'd understand it if he was actually going out there and putting in impressive performances but he isn't. He's been consistently struggling against fringe level operators. It's kinda of embarrassing that American boxing is pinning its hopes on such an underwhelming prospect. Even Michael Grant had better credentials going into the Lewis fight.
When people itt are saying that hell get outboxed, what do they mean....?

Struggling=38 wins, 37 KOs?

He is obviously a very good puncher, but it can be overstated a little. In no way has he earned the right to be called the best one shot puncher in history. Having said that, the HW division is wide open enough that it isn't ridiculous to give him a very real chance against anyone out there. Joshua is good, but certainly not untouchable. A peak shape Fury should be favoured to beat him, but I'd go as far to say that it is doubtful we ever see Fury in the kind of shape he was in against Wlad again. Wilder has clear deficiencies, but it's hard to look anywhere in the division and not see similar ones, and outside of maybe Joshua, no one possesses the punch and finishing ability of Wilder.

When people itt are saying that hell get outboxed, what do they mean....?

Struggling=38 wins, 37 KOs?

Struggling = dropping rounds and failing to dominate unranked opposition that he shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Im not saying that no one can beat him, by any means, but who are these untouchable boxer HWs that will dance circles around Wilder?

Joshua....? This version of Wlad...? Ortiz? Fury has the best chance of this and his chin is very much there to be cracked as well.

Is there a new Ali Im not aware of?
Dance circles? No. Counter him into a living death? Yep.

AJ and Wlad would put him on his ass. Id bet good money on that.

Hes one of the best but he's far from the best

Last edited:
Ridiculous shot? He just about took Szpilka's head off with a textbook counter punch.

That's a good shot. Good technique, good power.

Yeah a perfectly placed punch, a ridiculous shot. Not sure what you're questioning here?

Ridiculous doesn't mean it was a lucky punch, just that the damage and effect it caused was ridiculous.

Hm. Stiverne almost died in the first round and Duhaupas looked like Sloth from The Goonies. Duhaupas was nearly knocked out in the 5th and the ref almost made them stop it in the 7th.

Stiverne almost died entering the ring by all accounts.

Either way I'm not sure what your point is? Stiverne got dropped once and went the full 12, Duhaupas almost went the distance and was stopped on his feet.

Your not going to get many easier targets than those too, some of the slowest feet in the HW division. If any of the top guys can take Wilders power like those two did, it's game over for Deontay. Neither offered anything offensively.

Lol at any of you trying to have a sensible discussion with CANelo

Back