Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua

Wilder vs Joshua

• Total voters

Draper

Bronze Bomber
@purple
Reaction score
Who would win if they fought?

I think Wilder would KO Joshua stiff with a right hand. Joshua had some good head movement against Klitschko yesterday but he was there to be hit for most of the fight. Deontay Wilder is considerably more powerful than Klitschko and doesn't need a clean punch to drop Joshua. Also worth mentioning that AJ has been dropped in the amateurs and was hurt against Dillian Whyte.

On the other hand, Klitschko's defense is a million times better than Wilder's. These are heavyweights, anyone can knock anyone else out. The question is who will be more available to hit? I think you'd have to say its Wilder, he constantly drops his guard and he's frequently off balance. Joshua's fundamentals remained remarkably consistent while under duress, I was impressed by that. He was hurt and still had the wherewithal to weave and slip punches. If Wilder gets buzzed even a little I think he'll be wide open to get finished.

Joshua is just straight up better, but Wilder CAN win.

If the long sharp jabbing cautious Wilder turns up, its a 50/50 fight. If the sloppy Wilder turns up then it's in Joshua's favor.

Joshua also took a flush Wlad right hand and got up to win. The most important lesson from that could be that the opponent can really hurt you, and that he needs to not get caught like that again.

For much of the fight last night Wlads defence was great against the types of onslaughts that have put Joshua's previous opponents away.

What I'm trying to say I think is that Joshua should have learned a lot about himself and his future opponents last night.

Wilder hasn't been tested like that, and that could be the difference.

Joshua would also do well to learn how to throw a body shot or two for the Wilder fight...

If Wilder gets buzzed even a little I think he'll be wide open to get finished.

Joshua has a killer instinct and swarms at the slightest sniff of a finish. Could be a weakness at some point in his career against the wrong opponent (almost was against Wlad!), but against Wilder it will win him the fight.

If the long sharp jabbing cautious Wilder turns up, its a 50/50 fight. If the sloppy Wilder turns up then it's in Joshua's favor.

Joshua also took a flush Wlad right hand and got up to win. The most important lesson from that could be that the opponent can really hurt you, and that he needs to not get caught like that again.

For much of the fight last night Wlads defence was great against the types of onslaughts that have put Joshua's previous opponents away.

What I'm trying to say I think is that Joshua should have learned a lot about himself and his future opponents last night.

Wilder hasn't been tested like that, and that could be the difference.

Joshua would also do well to learn how to throw a body shot or two for the Wilder fight...

A lot of why Joshua struggled yesterday was because of how smart Klitschko was at controlling distance and timing. Joshua was punching air a lot, which tired him out. Wilder isn't nearly as tricky with his jabs or distance control, which means Joshua might have more stamina and punch rate against Wilder. Its close but i'd bet on Joshua if I had to.

This is the fight I want to see. I honestly couldn't care less if Tyson Fury never comes back. I want Joshua/Wilder/Parker to be fighting each other.

Last edited:
First one that lands is the one that wins. Joshua would turn Wilders lights out just as easily.

A lot of why Joshua struggled yesterday was because of how smart Klitschko was at controlling distance. Joshua was punching air a lot, which tired him out. Wilder isn't nearly as tricky with his jabs or distance control, which means Joshua might have more stamina and punch rate against Wilder. Its close but i'd bet on Joshua if I had to.

This is the fight I want to see. I honestly couldn't care less if Tyson Fury never comes back. I want Joshua/Wilder/Parker to be fighting each other.

Not sure how to break quotes down, so here goes:

Agree about Wlads control - Joshua looked out of ideas in rounds 3 & 4. Will be a long time until he faces anyone of Wlads experience though (no rematch).

I haven't watched too many Wilder fights, but I have been impressed at least once with his control and work behind the jab. I guess it was the Stiverne fight. He needs to do that against Joshua, and he seems a smart guy so he will know that too.

Joshua needs to shed some muscle and work on his stamina, but I guess Wilder has the same problem.

I'm a Fury fan and would like to see him healthy and back in the mix. He adds something to this division.

Joshua is the better boxer by a mile and a half. So is Wlad.

Not sure how to break quotes down, so here goes:

Agree about Wlads control - Joshua looked out of ideas in rounds 3 & 4. Will be a long time until he faces anyone of Wlads experience though (no rematch).

I haven't watched too many Wilder fights, but I have been impressed at least once with his control and work behind the jab. I guess it was the Stiverne fight. He needs to do that against Joshua, and he seems a smart guy so he will know that too.

Joshua needs to shed some muscle and work on his stamina, but I guess Wilder has the same problem.

I'm a Fury fan and would like to see him healthy and back in the mix. He adds something to this division.

Joshua DEFINITELY needs to work on stamina. That was the biggest red flag from yesterday. He was walking around like a baby deer in Round 3!! On the other hand, his recuperative ability is pretty impressive.

I think Wilder. A week ago I would have said Joshua but I think Wilder would have finished Joshua after that 6th round against Wlad.

Wilder is always improving, I'm not sure I've seen the same from Joshua.

On the flip side, Wlad is an incredibly underrated defensive boxer. Wilder boxes OK but he's not as slick as Wlad. Joshua could surely catch him early.

I think Wilder. A week ago I would have said Joshua but I think Wilder would have finished Joshua after that 6th round against Wlad.

Wilder is always improving, I'm not sure I've seen the same from Joshua.

On the flip side, Wlad is an incredibly underrated defensive boxer. Wilder boxes OK but he's not as slick as Wlad. Joshua could surely catch him early.

Bets firmly hedged.

Why you no poll?

Joshua have to pass a real drug test before anything. He weigh 250 yesterday,all muscle no fat..............

Joshua.

Wilder has to take him out with a fight ending shot very early in the fight or I think he's brown bread. His power is clearly ridiculous, but he usually lets guys get into the fight, and lesser fighters than Joshua have been able to soak up his power past the halfway point.

I'd agree that if Wilder got Joshua hurt like Wlad did in the 6th he'd probably finish him, but I don't see Wilder lasting anymore than 2/3 rounds, his window of opportunity is small. The problem he's got is not necessarily getting blasted out with one punch, but when he gets hurt he doesn't have smart defensive instincts or the physicality to tie up close, and that's going to be terrible if Joshua starts unloading combinations on him. I don't think he will be able to weather the storm like Klitschko and those stick legs are going to have to pay sometime, we haven't really seen hit by anyone his own size yet.

At boxing distance it's an even fight, Wilder has the quicker jab but he's inconsistent with it. Joshua has a good jab that he uses to back guys up with too, whereas Wilder's is more of a guard opener for his right hand. I think both guys can land those long right hands. At this distance though, Wilder has the better shot of a KO as his straight right is more devastating at that range, but when AJ gets up close, it's going to be difficult for Wilder do anything but take punishment.

If I had to bet how it'd play out. I imagine both fighters start out boxing at distance but by the 2nd round it's already heating up. Wilder will throw the right hand, probably hitting a bit of glove and not landing flush, but enough snap to look hurtful. AJ works the body and sets up a combination that backs Wilder up to the ropes and then drops him with a combination. Wilder will get up a couple of times but get KO'd quickly. AJ by KO 2/3 round.

The other outcome is one of those right hands landing early and badly hurting Joshua, then Wilder swarms him and takes him out. The reason I find the other more likely is that AJ has shown he can take top level power and keep going, and that Wilder usually takes time to find the proper opening for his right, time I don't think he has here.

Back