Deontay Wilder, unlucky?

Agree with most of what has been said about the American public.

Worlwide he is more popular than many would expect but still not even close to Joshua or Fury. Problem is he only fights in USA. That's why Ward is unknown worldwide (hardcores excluded). A fight with Povetkin for example in Europe or Asia would have been massive for his exposure. I know they tried it once and failed due to drug issues but never pushed for another fight outside the borders. Even while fighting easier competition he could have made some fights overseas. He would have gained more popularity and won more money. I'm sure in places like Monaco, Germany, Russia, Turkey, Dubai, Japan they would give millions to just see Wilder knock out a taxi driver.

He became a big star due to the De La Hoya fight. The Pacquiao stuff wasnt for about 3 more years and then that elevated both their names to higher places

I don't think he became mainstream until Pacquiao. After his De La Hoya victory not too many people just out and about knew who he was from my experience. Pacquiao, and that back and forth really got him mainstream attention. Mainstream media kept asking him when the fight was going to happen.

He was a star before that, I agree.

I don't think he became mainstream until Pacquiao. After his De La Hoya victory not too many people just out and about knew who he was from my experience. Pacquiao, and that back and forth really got him mainstream attention. Mainstream media kept asking him when the fight was going to happen.

I think the first time I heard of him was the Hatton fight.

I think the first time I heard of him was the Hatton fight.

Yeah, I came to discover him in the 2000s. My family was always big on boxing however.

I would be at school asking people if they saw the Mayweather fight. I would get looked at strange as nobody knew who I was referencing. I would just watch his fights without anyone outside of boxers to discuss them with.

Then along came PacMan and everyone was "Floyd v Pacquiao". lol That is my recollection.

Yeah, I came to discover him in the 2000s. My family was always big on boxing however.

I would be at school asking people if they saw the Mayweather fight. I would get looked at strange as nobody knew who I was referencing. I would just watch his fights without anyone outside of boxers to discuss them with.

Then along came PacMan and everyone was "Floyd v Pacquiao". lol That is my recollection.
Lol I remember being in the 8th grade and I didn't even know who Floyd was but I had enough flip homies to fill me in on the greatest Filipino boxer to ever grace the earth. It was crazy back then all my Mexican friends and Filipino friends would just endlessly talk shit about Del La Hoya and Manny Paquioa and they were so happy when Paq man won

Lol I remember being in the 8th grade and I didn't even know who Floyd was but I had enough flip homies to fill me in on the greatest Filipino boxer to ever grace the earth. It was crazy back then all my Mexican friends and Filipino friends would just endlessly talk shit about Del La Hoya and Manny Paquioa and they were so happy when Paq man won

When they actually fought I went to this bar known for showing high profile fights. There were so many Filipinos present, it was crazy. I didn't even know we had that large of a Filipino population where I am. They were the largest group represented, there to support their guy.

Becoming a star or mainstream is different than a household name.
Mayweather hit mainstream with the De La Hoya fight. The ppv did 2.5m buys and was talked about everywhere.
It was like May-Pac where everyone you knew was gonna watch the fight.
After that Mayweather became a star. And then with the 5 year negotiations with Pacquiao both there names grew higher in status.

As usual, Wilder haters bringing up insignificant scenarios for feeling pre -denial come Saturday night.

What’s the purpose of bringing up these insignificant circumstances when everyone knows this Showtime PPV event is the biggest and will be the second biggest success after Floyd vs PAC in the PBC portfolio.

Wilder is becoming mire viral. He is the Heavyweight champ that America has needed for a long time. Or would people prefer Wilder to rape a girl and go to prison while still being praised years later ...#Iron Mike

Lmfao

You don't stop, do you ?

American fighters, especially boxers have needed foreigners as of late to get mainstream recognition.

The biggest boxer in the sport, Mayweather, didn't become a household name until Pacquiao came into the narrative.

There are great American champions with credentials, who people wouldn't have the slightest clue who you were referring to if you brought them up in conversation.

It isn't about marketing. What makes GGG marketable that isn't marketable about Wilder? GGG doesn't even speak English all that well, so they can't say it's the oh so exciting press conferences. They can't say it's the KOs because Wilder's percentage is higher, and he has knocked out every single one of his opponents.

I wouldn't count Wilder as unlucky, not at all. He has come a long way from serving pancakes.

^Excellent post. My theory on the American's needed to fight foreign guys to be recognized may have snowballed when Lennox Lewis became champion, who has ties to 3 countries. England, Canada, and Jamaica. Those countries LOVE their own and Lennox was embraced by all 3 immediately. The US is a narrow market for boxing if the top champs are foreign guys since we have 8000 other sports at 4 different levels being marketed to us at the same time. Also WIlder is from Tuscaloosa. You'd be hard pressed to find an average American that even knows what state that place is in.

^Excellent post. My theory on the American's needed to fight foreign guys to be recognized may have snowballed when Lennox Lewis became champion, who has ties to 3 countries. England, Canada, and Jamaica. Those countries LOVE their own and Lennox was embraced by all 3 immediately. The US is a narrow market for boxing if the top champs are foreign guys since we have 8000 other sports at 4 different levels being marketed to us at the same time. Also WIlder is from Tuscaloosa. You'd be hard pressed to find an average American that even knows what state that place is in.

Thanks!!

Yes, I agree. Football is king now in America. We have many other options to choose from following that one as well.

American fighters, especially boxers have needed foreigners as of late to get mainstream recognition.

The biggest boxer in the sport, Mayweather, didn't become a household name until Pacquiao came into the narrative.

There are great American champions with credentials, who people wouldn't have the slightest clue who you were referring to if you brought them up in conversation.

It isn't about marketing. What makes GGG marketable that isn't marketable about Wilder? GGG doesn't even speak English all that well, so they can't say it's the oh so exciting press conferences. They can't say it's the KOs because Wilder's percentage is higher, and he has knocked out every single one of his opponents.

I wouldn't count Wilder as unlucky, not at all. He has come a long way from serving pancakes.

Lol. ESPN begged Floyd for interviews. ESPN did more bits on Floyd than Pacquiao. Floyd was already bonafide when he beat Oscar De La Hoya in 2007. The World of boxing has recognized Floyd as the best fighter of the Decade by the P4P consistently alone.

Lol. ESPN begged Floyd for interviews. ESPN did more bits on Floyd than Pacquiao. Floyd was already bonafide when he beat Oscar De La Hoya in 2007. The World of boxing has recognized Floyd as the best fighter of the Decade by the P4P consistently alone.

I remember the reporters constantly asking Floyd about fighting Pacquiao.

I remember the reporters constantly asking Floyd about fighting Pacquiao.

It’s crazy. Floyd is the best American athlete since Michael Jordan with skills but moreso the money he generated for himself without a promoter in his post era. People have no idea that Floyd exploited 50 Cent’s image, Lil Wayne, Justin Bieber... it’s beyond obvious Al Haymon advised Floyd in doing this for his social media gain. What’s funnier is that these music artists had no problem with Floyd pimping them with entrances for his advantage.

It’s crazy. Floyd is the best American athlete since Michael Jordan with skills but moreso the money he generated for himself without a promoter in his post era. People have no idea that Floyd exploited 50 Cent’s image, Lil Wayne, Justin Bieber... it’s beyond obvious Al Haymon advised Floyd in doing this for his social media gain. What’s funnier is that these music artists had no problem with Floyd pimping them with entrances for his advantage.

True, Black American boxers has been heavily involved with hip hop culture for a while now. My first recollection of this would be Mike Tyson's relationship with Tupac Shakur (RIP).

True, Black American boxers has been heavily involved with hip hop culture for a while now. My first recollection of this would be Mike Tyson's relationship with Tupac Shakur (RIP).

I’m not a fan of Mike Tyson tbh. I only empathize the situation where he lost his daughter in a horrific threadmill accident... or it couldve been bad parenting...

The fact that Tyson said he would make a “white boy” his bitch and that he would love it means he probably did some suspect things in prison.

And regarding Floyd, I’ll say again, he exploited music artists like Bieber, Wayne and 50 Cent. He was literally pimping them for his own gain. That’s genius. There’s no athlete that did this.

ko'ed every man in front of him
Olympic medalist
9 defences
That's it. 3 big points. on marketing terms. should be a cash cow. In general terms.

Took him 33 fights to get to a world championship
Well you seem to be obsessed with him so he's doing something right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back