Deontay Wilder, unlucky?

doubleg

I will reak
Banned
Reaction score
ko'ed every man in front of him
Olympic medalist
9 defences
That's it. 3 big points. on marketing terms. should be a cash cow. In general terms.

Took him 33 fights to get to a world championship

I'd say either his personality doesn't connect with people or it's poor management.

It's shit promoting plain and simple. To have an outgoing HW champion who has a 97.5% KO ratio and yet Joe-public have absolutely no idea who he is, is borderlinne criminal.

Fury's old promoter Mick Hennessy is another example of a piss poor promoter. When Carl Froch who was already a top fighter (albeit mismanaged) went over to America and dethroned Jermaine Taylor for the SMW title, it wasn't even televised in the UK.

Absolutely disgraceful management. It was only when Froch moved to matchroom that he became a big star.

American fighters, especially boxers have needed foreigners as of late to get mainstream recognition.

The biggest boxer in the sport, Mayweather, didn't become a household name until Pacquiao came into the narrative.

There are great American champions with credentials, who people wouldn't have the slightest clue who you were referring to if you brought them up in conversation.

It isn't about marketing. What makes GGG marketable that isn't marketable about Wilder? GGG doesn't even speak English all that well, so they can't say it's the oh so exciting press conferences. They can't say it's the KOs because Wilder's percentage is higher, and he has knocked out every single one of his opponents.

I wouldn't count Wilder as unlucky, not at all. He has come a long way from serving pancakes.

As usual, Wilder haters bringing up insignificant scenarios for feeling pre -denial come Saturday night.

What’s the purpose of bringing up these insignificant circumstances when everyone knows this Showtime PPV event is the biggest and will be the second biggest success after Floyd vs PAC in the PBC portfolio.

Wilder is becoming mire viral. He is the Heavyweight champ that America has needed for a long time. Or would people prefer Wilder to rape a girl and go to prison while still being praised years later ...#Iron Mike

American fighters, especially boxers have needed foreigners as of late to get mainstream recognition.

The biggest boxer in the sport, Mayweather, didn't become a household name until Pacquiao came into the narrative.

There are great American champions with credentials, who people wouldn't have the slightest clue who you were referring to if you brought them up in conversation.

It isn't about marketing. What makes GGG marketable that isn't marketable about Wilder? GGG doesn't even speak English all that well, so they can't say it's the oh so exciting press conferences. They can't say it's the KOs because Wilder's percentage is higher, and he has knocked out every single one of his opponents.

I wouldn't count Wilder as unlucky, not at all. He has come a long way from serving pancakes.
competition is the mainstay. doesnt matter bout the l. if you do well. people know your level and your potential dont suceed until you fail. these american fighter think its about the record, naaah. people wanna know if you keep it 100. in britian we have these fighters warren promotes anythony yarde and daniel dubious. no 1 cares about them cus a. dont have a amatuer background b. dont fight anyone with a name behind the. all warren seems to do is get guys who punched aj in the face in sparring.

What makes GGG marketable that isn't marketable aGGG doesn't even speak English all that well, so they can't say it's the oh so exciting press conferences. .

Team GGG and HBO exploited Canelo Alvarez's name. Nobody is even talking about GGG anymore. This is what happens when karma comes back after people pander to the Mexican demographic with an Asian Kazakh! Marketing tactics fail.

As usual, Wilder haters bringing up insignificant scenarios for feeling pre -denial come Saturday night.

What’s the purpose of bringing up these insignificant circumstances when everyone knows this Showtime PPV event is the biggest and will be the second biggest success after Floyd vs PAC in the PBC portfolio.

Wilder is becoming mire viral. He is the Heavyweight champ that America has needed for a long time. Or would people prefer Wilder to rape a girl and go to prison while still being praised years later ...#Iron Mike
people wanna see a legit product — expensive bruh.

Team GGG and HBO exploited Canelo Alvarez's name. Nobody is even talking about GGG anymore. This is what happens when karma comes back after people pander to the Mexican demographic with an Asian Kazakh! Marketing tactics fail.

That was definitely his biggest push.

I heard guys bring up GGG prior to the Alvarez fights. They also bring up Lomachenko. What is making them more worthy of mention, even if only briefly, than our American fighters?

The best part is casual fans not knowing Foreman or Holmes were still fighting late in their careers as well as bhop giving Kovalev all his trinkets at 49 years of age.

But Wilder’s success rate? .. lol. Wilder is 32 and doing well!

competition is the mainstay. doesnt matter bout the l. if you do well. people know your level and your potential dont suceed until you fail. these american fighter think its about the record, naaah. people wanna know if you keep it 100. in britian we have these fighters warren promotes anythony yarde and daniel dubious. no 1 cares about them cus a. dont have a amatuer background b. dont fight anyone with a name behind the. all warren seems to do is get guys who punched aj in the face in sparring.

In America I don't think we have an overwhelming number of huge fight fans. They want to follow what is trending. They attach to that story, and follow it till the finish. Then they move on.

Prime example will always be Floyd v McGregor. People who never watch fight sports chimed in left and right. They held to the rhetoric coming from the UFC side. Left hand, and Floyd "too small" etc etc.

They were programmed what to care about, and what to think concerning that. If it's a popular opinion, people will subscribe to it.

If everyone began chanting Deontay Wilder, I guarantee you he'd blow up, and he would get praise for his accomplishments.

Until then, people are talking Tekashi69, Kanye West, etc etc.

There is a reason subjects, and people have the label "trending" next to the titles now on the internet. That is what people care about.

People not knowing who he is, is way over blown. Most people don't know any of the current boxing champs.. in any weight class. Sure we know because we love watching combat sports be it boxing or MMA or kickboxing or whatever, but people who don't watch it do not know any of the champs, including Wilder.

If you went down the streets and asked people who Andre Ward is for example, no one would have a clue (unless they are the combat watching fan like us) , yet he was a undefeated champ who is pure class and an absolute gentleman and very easy to like. Its boxing problem, not Wilder problem in my opinion

People not knowing who he is, is way over blown. Most people don't know any of the current boxing champs.. in any weight class. Sure we know because we love watching combat sports be it boxing or MMA or kickboxing or whatever, but people who don't watch it do not know any of the champs, including Wilder.

If you went down the streets and asked people who Andre Ward is for example, no one would have a clue (unless they are the combat watching fan like us) , yet he was a undefeated champ who is pure class and an absolute gentleman and very easy to like. Its boxing problem, not Wilder problem in my opinion
I could be wrong here, but I'd say Canelo would be a name people would know. Not everyone of course, but a signigicant percentage. If you asked them what weight he was champion of though, I doubt many people would get it right.

Wilder was just badly managed. He could have stepped up in opposition much earlier. When he did win the World title, there should have been a big marketing push, but it just wasn't done, and they didn't take advantage of the momentum that could have been generated.

Even with this fight, they've allowed Fury to become the story, when it should be all about Wilder.

Obama took Wilder popularity

He became a big star due to the De La Hoya fight. The Pacquiao stuff wasnt for about 3 more years and then that elevated both their names to higher places

Canelo is pretty well known across the board. In America hes the most recognized boxer outside of Floyd and Manny for boxing at the moment.
Wilders name is growing. Some ppl know who he is but if he blasts Fury out the water, his name is gonna be big.

Dogshit management and promotion. He should sign with Eddie Hearn and DAZN.

Back