Denzel will be remembered as greater than Daniel Day-Lewis

DDL will be remembered as the more skilled of the two. Denzel is more popular.

Both are great but I cannot unsee "deja vu" from Denzel. So Daniel Day Lewis takes it. Also his great performances far exceed anyone elses. The Last Mohican, There Will Be Wood, Gangs of New York, Lincoln...

Both are great but I cannot unsee "deja vu" from Denzel.
Even with Paula Patton 1.0????

110106BDejaVu2.jpg

Even with Paula Patton 1.0????

110106BDejaVu2.jpg

Lol even with Paula Patton 1.0, but good point. Just can't get over that stupid plot, when I was watching it I was thinking to myself wtf is Denzel doing in this movie.

Denzel plays the same dude in every single movie. The angry black dude with a chip on his shoulder.

DDL is clearly better but Denzel is more
Mainstream and popular.

Denzel is also a great actor. He's had many great roles over his career

I haven't seen that CBS poll but if it's true so be it. Denzel will be of course be the more mainstream actor. He's been in way more blockbuster movies. I honestly think it's apple and oranges in thinking who the better actor is. If you prefer Denzel good for you. No one is really going to win this argument. Were just going in circles with it.

I don't think he's afraid of failure to do stage acting. He failed in Nine horribly, but did it stop him from doing movies? I just don't think he's interested in committing himself doing a show 5 or 6 days a week for how many weeks they go for. It's just too much, considering how committed he gets into a role. By the way I think there more risk in failing in movies than failing in stage. You get more attention making a movie rather than acting in stage. More people will see you fail more in the movies. So I disagree with your assessment in that. Even if he went back on stage and failed I don' think it would do damage to his reputation. He'd still be known as one of the greatest film actors of all time. Nothing will change that.

Also DDL has taken risks. My Left Foot, In The Name of the Father, Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, Lincoln. Those roles he did in those movies are not guarantee success performances. There's risk to pretty much all the movies he's done. Just because he was great in them doesn't make it less of a risk.

That's cool man. Don't necessarily agree with all that, but respect for your opinion.

I wouldn't even say that Denzel is the best actor who works regularly. I would say that Gary Oldman gets that honor over Denzel. It looks like Oldman will finally get his Oscar this year with the Darkest Hour.

When Denzel phones it in, it's still pretty good.

Phoned-in Oldman is Shit Wearing Spectacles.

I wouldn't even say that Denzel is the best actor who works regularly. I would say that Gary Oldman gets that honor over Denzel. It looks like Oldman will finally get his Oscar this year with the Darkest Hour.

I'm a huge Oldman fan, and will be very happy if he finally wins that Oscar.

Oldman is one of the greatest character actors ever. But Denzel (Like DDL to be fair) has the responsibility of carrying films non-stop. It's hard to be a great leading man, which puts Denzel in a different category to Oldman, and that has to be taken into account. As talented as Oldman is, I really don't think he could carry most of Denzel"s movies.

Also, Oldman frequently doesn't seem to give a shit, which makes many of his films very missable. Denzel always at least appears committed, even in cheesy shit like Two Guns. With Oldman, I have to know if the role is special and if the director is good to be interested in watching a movie he does. With Denzel, he just needs to be in it....

I thought Denzel and Oldman worked very well together in The Book Of Eli. Denzel edged Oldman in performance reviews, so at least we saw how a head to head pairing went.

Both are great but I cannot unsee "deja vu" from Denzel. So Daniel Day Lewis takes it. Also his great performances far exceed anyone elses. The Last Mohican, There Will Be Wood, Gangs of New York, Lincoln...
“ There Will Be WOOD “ is actually a good title! Lol. Sexy .

Lol even with Paula Patton 1.0, but good point. Just can't get over that stupid plot, when I was watching it I was thinking to myself wtf is Denzel doing in this movie.

Lol I remember thinking "what is Jim Caviezel doing in this movie?"

Can't all be homeruns. But +1 to everything in the OP.

Bill The Butcher still the goat bad guy though

I disagree with those being risks -they fit his MO perfectly as they were Oscar bait.

Oldman takes risks imo, so does Hardy. DDL does not.

For another Oscar bait role where an actor took the same risk and had it go disastrously, I suggest checking out John Malkovich in Of Mice and Men. His "guitar was out of tune" so to speak, and it ended up coming across like Simple Jack.

For another Oscar bait role where an actor took the same risk and had it go disastrously, I suggest checking out John Malkovich in Of Mice and Men. His "guitar was out of tune" so to speak, and it ended up coming across like Simple Jack.

lol

Oh, I've seen it. I actually thought the simple Jack character was a bit of a wink and a nod to John.

For what it's worth, I do put DDL up there as one of the modern greats -Bill the Butcher is still one of the greatest villains in film history as far as I'm concerned and one of my favorite acting roles ever. But Danny is selective and guarded with his roles imo. He knows what he can pull off and what he can't -therefore giving the illusion that he can pull off anything because he chooses roles he knows he'll nail.

Meanwhile guys like Oldman will take cameos as white Rastafarian drug dealers, or bigger roles like Stansfeild, all the way to the quirky Zorg in a Sci Fi film. I also appreciate that Oldman has no issue taking a subdued role like Commissioner Gordon without feeling the need to steal scenes and over act.

That's why I honestly feel Oldman > DDL

But, DDL can carry a film which I think Oldman has only done a handful of times..

..which brings me to Hardy. All the range and risk taking of an Oldman with the technical leading man brilliance of a DDL. His issue tho is that his films aren't always that great. And he swings and misses in some roles, which Oldman and DDL almost never do.

So they each have their weaknesses.

No he won't.

And Tom Hardy isn't that good.

Hardy has talent. There's something often very shallow and surface level about many his performances though. He"s got the "look at me!! look at me!!!" quality of an overegar drama student desperate to show-off . It can be exhausting to watch Hardy at times because you are usually aware that this is a guy "acting", as opposed to just behaving and being.

Also, how on earth did he let Charlize Theron completely steal Mad Max:Fury Road from him? It was another shallow performance of pouts and grunts (like his role in Warrior) that I don't think had half the impact Hardy expected it to. Theron"s Furiosa was far more interesting than Hardy"s Max and his performance really made me miss Mel Gibson in the role.

DDL is a THREE TIME, THREE TIME, THREE TIME Best Actor.

Back