Denzel will be remembered as greater than Daniel Day-Lewis

No he won't.

And Tom Hardy isn't that good.

MspuERY91KMKs.gif

Roman Israel Esq is comnig out this week (good excuse for a thread bump), and The Ringer just published a piece about his best movies saying:

"Denzel Washington is the greatest actor alive, don't @us."

Not the first mainstream media outlet to say so this year either. Interesting that DDL is no longer the automatic pick for the title he was say ...4 years ago, and there's now a noticable shift towards Denzel. I thought it might take a bit longer for the tide to shift towards Denzel.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2017/11/21/16673986/best-denzel-washington-movies

Last edited:
I honestly couldn't tell you a denzel movie. Never paid attention to his career. Anything with him I've watched hasn't stuck

Only really found Denzel great in I Am Legend tbh.

• Paul Newman
  • Marlon Brando
  • Jack Nicholson
  • Michael Caine
  • DDL
I would pick over Denzel. Gary Oldman, too, probably. It's funny how nobody talks about De Niro or Pacino anymore.

I also think Montgomery Clift is one of the most underappreciated actors of all time. If he hadn't gotten that car accident, and then died roughly a decade later in despair at 45, I think he would be a name dropped in all of these threads. He, James Dean, River Phoenix, and Ledger are my Rushmore of Godtalents whose potential was cut short by life itself.

• Paul Newman
  • Marlon Brando
  • Jack Nicholson
  • Michael Caine
  • DDL
I would pick over Denzel. Gary Oldman, too, probably. It's funny how nobody talks about De Niro or Pacino anymore.

I also think Montgomery Clift is one of the most underappreciated actors of all time. If he hadn't gotten that car accident, and then died roughly a decade later in despair at 45, I think he would be a name dropped in all of these threads. He, James Dean, River Phoenix, and Ledger are my Rushmore of Godtalents whose potential was cut short by life itself.

I like Newman a lot. Great actor. He was pretty much Brando without the range though. You could see Newman pulling off Streetcar Named Desire or On The Waterfront which would be right in the sweetspot of his range, but not Julius Ceasar or The Godfather.

Clift was interesting and a fine actor. I don't think his death would stop him being mentioned though. He only had 18 film credits, but a lot of them were straight up classics (Judgement At Numeremberg, The Misfits, From Here To Eternity, A Place In The Sun, Red River). Vivien Leigh had about the same amount of films as Clift, and also died relatively young, but she's stlll regarded as one of the greats today. Maybe Clift's "sensitive" approach to most of his roles isn't dynamic enough to strike a chord with modern audiences.

I rate almost all the guys you mention, but I think Denzel would still shade it. I think it's closest between Brando and Denzel, because Brando changed the game for method actors onscreen. And both of them have given legendary stage performances (A Streetcar Named Desire for Brando and Fences for Denzel), which the others have not.

Last edited:
Naw bra. Daniel drinks your milkshake

Back