Denzel will be remembered as greater than Daniel Day-Lewis

Slippage

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Yeah, I said it.

Watched The Phantom Thread trailer. Then I watched Roman J. Isreal, Esq trailer.

DDL is a great actor. But I got zero interest in watching The Phantom Thread. The movie looks boring, and DDL looks boring in it. Aside from a few movies where his character stands out strongly (namely Gangs Of New York and There Will Be Blood), DDL tends to make these incredibly pretentious movies that you never need to watch more than once. His filmograhy looka good on paper, but it's not that entertaining. When's the last time you chose to watch My Left Foot? My Beautiful Laundrette? The Ballad Of Jack And Rose? Nine?

I'l watch Denzel in anything. Even if the movie is trash, I know I'm going to at least get something out of his performance. The buzz on Roman J Isreal, Esq isn't amazing, but it looks worth watching for Denzel's performance alone. It doesn't matter if Denzel is playing a low-key character or a loud character, he's always compelling.

DDL is retiring (supposedly). But I feel like if Phantom Thread is his last movie, his reputaion will diminish, while Denzel's will continue to grow.

giphy.gif

I've watched My Left Foot. It's a good film. Not one I'd sit down with a bag of popcorn on a Friday night, but calling someone Mr.MyLeftFoot is a great insult, and almost nobody gets it

I'm more interested in the movies that Washington is in than DDL. They're both fucking awesome at what they do though.

GOAT rap song.

well there you have it folks Denzel just killed Roland Deschain something Walter O'Dim and even The Crimson King himself couldn't do Denzel is #1.

It's been admitted he is #1. Time to leave

EuphoricCapitalHorse-max-1mb.gif

His most entertaining role. But I can't watch Gangs Of New York and There Will Be Blood on a fucking loop for eternity. The vast majority of his movies have little replay value. He's great, but he's a hipster choice for GOAT, mostly based off people really liking two roles he played (and because he doesn't work much, which adds to his mystique). I think Denzel is the real choice for GOAT from this era.

If I'm going to rewatch another boxing movie, I'll take Denzel's over DDL. The Hurricane>The Boxer

If I'm going to rewatch a civil war movie....Glory>Lincoln

If I'm going to rewatch a civil rights movie...Malcolm X> In The Name Of The Father

If I just want to be entertained while watching a great performance, it's Denzel all day, every day. Training Day, Man On Fire, Crimson Tide, Flight, Philidelphia etc.

I seriously doubt it. But it's just acting anyway. I mean, how long will any of them really be remembered? Maybe 50 or 60 years?

I seriously doubt it. But it's just acting anyway. I mean, how long will any of them really be remembered? Maybe 50 or 60 years?

There's no reason to doubt it. DDL does not have anything close to the same appeal in the real world as Denzel even now. DDL is more popular with hipsters and critics, but most everyone I know in real life thinks Denzel is greater anyway, and don't think about DDL in general.

It's just going to get worse if DDL stays retired. Critics and hipsters can't keep your reputation alive forever. At some point. The moviegoing public has to care.

Look at Sean Penn. Critics spent the better part of 20 years trying to claim he was the best actor of his generation, and the general public didn't give a shit or believe it. Now I rarely hear critics talk up Penn like that, because they know the battle is lost.

Daniel Day is a good actor but most of his movies are pretty garbage

Denzel might not be as good an actor but his movies are far more enjoyable

Fight me

Denzel is a hell of a lot more typecast, and that right there should limit his accolades.

Daniel Day is a good actor but most of his movies are pretty garbage

Denzel might not be as good an actor but his movies are far more enjoyable

Fight me

DDL's movies aren't garbage. I mean, he's been in 5 movies that got Best Picture Oscar nominations. But a lot of them lack something that makes them worth revisiting.

Denzel makes his movies more watchable. If you imagine a lot of Denzel's movies without him, they aren't neccesarily special. I might not even watch a lot of his films, without him in them. To me, that makes him the better actor.

Back