Dems & Republicans hate each other, partisans differ widely in views of police & professors

No doubt @ your last line but (and I know you're not advocating this) but the same shit could be said of police, they're always in the media for something negative, for a shooting, for "locker room" talk but it's as foolish to me to dislike educators as it is foolish to dislike the people who protect our communities

Maybe it's because I live in Florida, I've had one (1) professor that turned her class into her little political echo chamber and she was from NYC. Very stereotypical but overall professors just taught. Some were clearly libs but they didn't make class into something political.
I don't think it's caused by personal experience but crazy stories people hear/read in the media.
You have professor bike lock, a professor tweeting that white people should pay reparations, a professor saying that Donald Trump will end up like Adolf Hitler, a professor writing an email to a student, explaining how she should use alternative sources on feminism and how established research centres actually suffer from right-wing bias and are part of the patriarchy etc et pp
These things are often covered in the MSM and posted on social media/forums all the time.
I went to a rather liberal university in California but my math professors didn't tell us anything about their opinion on politics, other than making a joke here and there.

There's a lot of polarisation between your parties.

I don't think it's caused by personal experience but crazy stories people hear/read in the media.
You have professor bike lock, a professor tweeting that white people should pay reparations, a professor saying that Donald Trump will end up like Adolf Hitler, a professor writing an email to a student, explaining how she should use alternative sources on feminism and how established research centres actually suffer from right-wing bias and are part of the patriarchy etc et pp
These things are often covered in the MSM and posted on social media/forums all the time.
I went to a rather liberal university in California but my math professors didn't tell us anything about their opinion on politics, other than making a joke here and there.
That's what I'm saying, that personal experience should trump outrageous headlines because it should be apparent that the vast majority of professors aren't using their classes to indoctrinate students.

That's what I'm saying, that personal experience should trump outrageous headlines because it should be apparent that the vast majority of professors aren't using their classes to indoctrinate students.
Not all people have personal experience with professors though.
Personal experience does have a positive impact

FT_17.09.13_professors_education.png

You only have to look at what the majority of degrees are in. Business majors are the most popular, Humanities are in a decades long decline.

It's baffling to me to see how much Republicans hate professors.

I loved a lot of my professors and still keep in touch with several of them decades later.

But this isn't a surprising finding at all imo. The professoriate has become far more partisan than it used to be. Studies show that conservative students are afraid to express their true feelings in essays and papers because they feel they will be judged on their views and not on their reasoning or writing. Once you polticize something, you're going to lose the respect and support of those who don't agree with you politically. It's true in the NFL, and it's true on college campuses.

You only have to look at what the majority of degrees are in. Business majors are the most popular, Humanities are in a decades long decline.
My personal experience was that it was my English Lit teachers who were the most likely to use their classrooms as a soapbox. My history and poli sci professors were much more likely to teach to the subject matter, and they were far less interested in what any student's opinion on the matter was.

Maybe we should deploy them on the streets to appease the BLM crowd then
At least there will be accountability in their actions.

Cops wanna dress up like soldiers, be outfitted like soldiers while shouldering none of the UCMJ.

Fuck them.

My personal experience was that it was my English Lit teachers who were the most likely to use their classrooms as a soapbox. My history and poli sci professors were much more likely to teach to the subject matter, and they were far less interested in what any student's opinion on the matter was.

I did first year anthropology and philsophy before I transfered to Computer Science, and there were certainly political opinions there. Although the philosophy professors in particular all had their own views and would actually mark you down if you wrote essays from a neutral perspective (or simply regurgitated the philosophy we studied) rather than arguing a point of view. Most of them had classical liberal views of various distinctions. My anthropology lecturer was partial to Heidegger, so he certainly wasn't dismissive of controversial views. Once I switched to computer science though, the closest I got to political philosophy was boolean (it was a philosophy subject, Argument and Critical Thinking). Although I did go to a computer science lecture last year (interface design) where the lecturer started off with a slide showing Donald Trump's face as a joke to break the ice.
I'm still involved with the Uni, but the campus I'm involved with is dedicated to Engineering and Computer Science, so I've seen absolutely no sign whatsoever of any rise in identity politics (Aside from the usual emails from the vice chancellor about National Reconciliation Week and the like).

I did first year anthropology and philsophy before I transfered to Computer Science, and there were certainly political opinions there. Although the philosophy professors in particular all had their own views and would actually mark you down if you wrote essays from a neutral perspective rather than arguing a point of view. Most of them had classical liberal views of various distinctions. My anthropology lecturer was partial to Heidegger, so he certainly wasn't dismissive of controversial views. Once I switched to computer science though, the closest I got to political philosophy was boolean (it was a philosophy subject, Argument and Critical Thinking). Although I did go to a computer science lecture last year (interface design) where the lecturer started off with a slide showing Donald Trump's face as a joke to break the ice.
Yeah, the hard sciences are definitely better off than the liberal arts departments. I had several English teachers who would get up in front of the class, give lectures on how a piece of very old literature actually had interpretations about modern feminist ideas (or another course championed by liberal-minded individuals), and would then spend the rest of class trying to force those ideas down our throats.

Making a political joke in a CS lecture isn't something I have a particular issue with. I just find it tacky and in bad taste. As long as "believing the right things" isn't a requirement for entry into the field/organization (unless that organization is exclusively political), then it's fine to make a joke as long as anyone can make a joke about whoever is in charge. I definitely had a problem with my own experiences though.

Yeah, the hard sciences are definitely better off than the liberal arts departments. I had several English teachers who would get up in front of the class, give lectures on how a piece of very old literature actually had interpretations about modern feminist ideas (or another course championed by liberal-minded individuals), and would then spend the rest of class trying to force those ideas down our throats.

Making a political joke in a CS lecture isn't something I have a particular issue with. I just find it tacky and in bad taste. As long as "believing the right things" isn't a requirement for entry into the field/organization (unless that organization is exclusively political), then it's fine to make a joke as long as anyone can make a joke about whoever is in charge. I definitely had a problem with my own experiences though.

Yeah, it wasn't even a "political joke" exactly. He didn't say anything and there wasn't anything unusual about the picture. It was just Trump's face.
Open to interpretation, I took it more as a commentary on the ridiculous amount of coverage Trump was getting at the time and the fact that the whole election was a joke. Anyway, the screen came on with a massive image of Trumps face, everyone laughed, and then on we went.
I'm sure there must have been some "marxism" smuggled in there somewhere...

Not all people have personal experience with professors though.
Personal experience does have a positive impact

FT_17.09.13_professors_education.png

That's interesting on the GOP side. So older, less educated Republicans really dislike professors. I wonder why it's to that degree.

If I was going to guess, I'd imagine that it ties back to the 50's and 60's college hippies. If you sided with the hippies, you joined one political party. If you disagreed with them you joined the other party. Fast forward 50 years and they still hold the same political divergence.

Those are terrible numbers for the country. The more divided we are the worse our leaders and policy will be.

It is because we no longer share the same value system. We did for the previous history----meaning JC values. The dems are Godless. Their value system is based on hatred and class/race warfare. While reps are still at least publicly place some value on the values handed down to us from the Bible.

If you don't agree on values, then it is just a power struggle.

I don't think that is true at all, we do share a lot of the same values. The problem is political leaders on the right support policies that are really unpopular with regular people of all political views but sell them the notion that the left are godless, SJW, ANTIFA types or are the coast elites and the right should vote for them out of spite for the left.

It's baffling to me to see how much Republicans hate professors. You hate them because some of them are politically active in ways you don't like? I guess that totally takes away their contributions to the world

They're one of the pillars of any community and should be respected like police officers. (And be denounced when they do something wrong such as abuse authority for police or stop teaching and turn your class into a political echo chamber instead of teaching)
Here's $100
you are a racist sexist kkk member you fucking asshole cunt

Why do you hate me? I just gave you $100. That's why they look at professors that way

Very reasonable and very rational
I mean I could post any of a metric crap ton of videos from shitty professors. I could post the evergreen state story. The list is long. THats the abbreviated version though.

I did first year anthropology and philsophy before I transfered to Computer Science, and there were certainly political opinions there. Although the philosophy professors in particular all had their own views and would actually mark you down if you wrote essays from a neutral perspective (or simply regurgitated the philosophy we studied) rather than arguing a point of view. Most of them had classical liberal views of various distinctions. My anthropology lecturer was partial to Heidegger, so he certainly wasn't dismissive of controversial views. Once I switched to computer science though, the closest I got to political philosophy was boolean (it was a philosophy subject, Argument and Critical Thinking). Although I did go to a computer science lecture last year (interface design) where the lecturer started off with a slide showing Donald Trump's face as a joke to break the ice.
I'm still involved with the Uni, but the campus I'm involved with is dedicated to Engineering and Computer Science, so I've seen absolutely no sign whatsoever of any rise in identity politics (Aside from the usual emails from the vice chancellor about National Reconciliation Week and the like).

In Australia right? A lot different than coastal colleges in the US.

In Australia right? A lot different than coastal colleges in the US.

True, but two of my lecturers were Americans. The anthropology lecturer was James F. Weiner.
I was talking about which majors/faculties were the biggest/most popular in the US as well, not Australia.

I loved a lot of my professors and still keep in touch with several of them decades later.

But this isn't a surprising finding at all imo. The professoriate has become far more partisan than it used to be. Studies show that conservative students are afraid to express their true feelings in essays and papers because they feel they will be judged on their views and not on their reasoning or writing. Once you polticize something, you're going to lose the respect and support of those who don't agree with you politically. It's true in the NFL, and it's true on college campuses.
Such babbies, I went against the grain all the time in political science classes which are, unsurprisingly, the most politicized. I'm a contrarian cunt in the classroom just as I am in the WR so I enjoyed being that guy. Never had any problem, the professors actually liked me more than the other students and those were the classes where I most most popular among my classmates.

Such babbies, I went against the grain all the time in political science classes which are, unsurprisingly, the most politicized. I'm a contrarian cunt in the classroom just as I am in the WR so I enjoyed being that guy. Never had any problem, the professors actually liked me more than the other students and those were the classes where I most most popular among my classmates.

It goes back to the echo chamber issue. These students have grown up in ideological echo chambers and don't know how to deal with expressing a contrarian opinion that won't be accepted by those they're speaking with. So rather than find better/more persuasive ways to present their positions, they turn around and claim that they can't express themselves at all for fear of recrimination.

and it's not just a conservative student thing.

On a committee I was chairing, I had a liberal woman tell me that she stopped participating in the committee because she felt that her single voice was going to be drowned out by the more aggressive people on the committee who disagreed with her. She argued that these people were so entrenched in their world view that expressing herself was just opening herself up to retaliation. So because she wasn't going to get immediate acceptance of her positions, she just stopped trying. :confused:

I told her that by refusing to express her position, she made it impossible to persuade others to see her point of view. Her positions might have had merit but we'll never know because she lacked the fortitude to defend them in the face of even minor opposition. Instead she opted for blaming the hypothetical reactions of others for her failure to act.

It's the same deal with these students. Write the paper. If the grade is unfair take it up with the dean. Don't be a coward. But I was never much good in those essay classes because I wrote what I thought and not what I thought the teacher wanted to hear. These modern students should consider growing a sack.

Back