Dems & Republicans hate each other, partisans differ widely in views of police & professors

lecter

not even webscale
@Silver
Reaction score
The latest polls from Pew Research, which look at the favorable ratings of different groups among Democrats and Republicans, include a lot of interesting numbers and seem to confirm some cliches. Most interesting in my opinion, with all the talk about 'divide' and how the left and right grow away from each other, that actually seems to be true.

Both Democrats and Republicans rate members of the opposing party worse than they did in December 2016. Interestingly enough they rated them better in December 2016 than in March 2016 though.
76% of Republicans have a cold view on Dems, 70% of Democrats have a cold view on Republicans.
More than 50% of both Republicans and Democrats have a 'very cold' view on members of the opposing party.

1_3.png

On a feeling thermometer (0-100), Democrats are on average slightly more popular than Repubplicans (47-41), 'conservatives' slightly more popular than 'liberals' (51-47).

Democrats rate "Democrats" higher than "Liberals", Republicans rate "Conservatives" slightly higher than "Republicans", Democrats like their party more than Republicans like theirs.

Partisans divide widest in their ratings of police officers and college professors.
Professors get an average score of only 46 (0 worst, 100 warmest view) among Republicans but 71 among Democrats. The opinions on teachers are closer to each other (72-86)
Republicans on the other hand feel much warmer about police officers (84) than Democrats do (62).

1_2.png

Among independents who lean towards one party, Republican leaners are less willing to accept the Republican label than Democrat leaners are willing to accept their party label.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/09...-views-of-police-officers-college-professors/

democrats like the military more than they like the cops.

Maybe we should deploy them on the streets to appease the BLM crowd then
at least soldiers understand rules of engagement. that's how i feel about soldiers at train stations vs cops with bigger guns.

at least soldiers understand rules of engagement. that's how i feel about soldiers at train stations vs cops with bigger guns.
I assume they're obviously seen as more favorable because you typically don't have to deal with them and they only kill people elsewhere while police officers are used 'against' the people of the US in a way.
Personally, I think the military rating is absurdly high but well, that's an American thing. LOL @ 84/100 for police from Republicans. But again, not surprised.
I think the strangest/most surprising rating among Democrats is that the party ends up with a better rating than Liberalism. Of course, not all Democrats are liberals but to have a more favorable view of a political party than of a political ideology which is at least somewhat close to the own worldview seems weird.

You can disagree honorably. I believe that many disagree dishonorably. You can engage in a loving way that demonstrates the heart of God, but that demonstrates the truth of God. Love must always be married to truth and truth must always be married to love. So I believe certain methodology is a big part of the problem.(riots,shutting down free speech at universities, killing cops.......)

It's baffling to me to see how much Republicans hate professors. You hate them because some of them are politically active in ways you don't like? I guess that totally takes away their contributions to the world

They're one of the pillars of any community and should be respected like police officers. (And be denounced when they do something wrong such as abuse authority for police or stop teaching and turn your class into a political echo chamber instead of teaching)

It is because we no longer share the same value system. We did for the previous history----meaning JC values. The dems are Godless. Their value system is based on hatred and class/race warfare. While reps are still at least publicly place some value on the values handed down to us from the Bible.

If you don't agree on values, then it is just a power struggle.

It's baffling to me to see how much Republicans hate professors. You hate them because some of them are politically active in ways you don't like? I guess that totally takes away their contributions to the world

They're one of the pillars of any community and should be respected like police officers. (And be denounced when they do something wrong such as abuse authority for police or stop teaching and turn your class into a political echo chamber instead of teaching)

Depends on the field. I have a graduate degree in the social sciences and if most of the faculty I worked with had their positions terminated, society would be better off. What they really "teach" are the consequences for knowing too much and the rewards for towing the line. If feel like most of the keystone social experiments we study would have never gotten off the ground today, would have been replaced with an essay on privilege theory to never be read by another human soul.

I shoulda listened to my uncle & stuck with software engineering, sigh

Last edited:
It's baffling to me to see how much Republicans hate professors.

Yes, we completely hate professors. I mean every republican hates this professor
jordan-peterson.jpg.size_.custom.crop_.1086x724-1024x683.jpg

Now, we hate the professors that are Marxists and brainwash children.
But that is it.

Maybe you should get educated on the problem before talking.

Yes, we completely hate professors. I mean every republican hates this professor

But that is it.

What's even more baffling is that this post will get Likes when I didn't mean that all republicans hate all professors or that hate is even the correct word for this

I don't agree with their poor opinion on professors but I'm not overly surprised.
Just think about negative headlines related to universities and professors covered in the MSM.
Basically, 90% is some crazy leftist professor talking shit about white people, comparing DRUMPF to dictators or some other SJW bullshit. As much as more reasonable libs try to pretend it's only a fringe movement, this shit has become way too common.
Now in comparison, you don't hear a lot of news about a conservative professor indoctrinating his students about God and abstinence.
If that was more common, more leftists would have colder views on Professors.

Last edited:
What's even more baffling is that this post will get Likes when I didn't mean that all republicans hate all professors or that hate is even the correct word for this
Look, man, you just have to throw a ton of caveats/qualifiers into every statement you make. Don't be ridiculous and expect someone who reads your statements to take the time to consider the context.

I mean, this should be as obvious as the sky is blue. At least when it isn't black because we're facing the wrong way, or when it's red because the angle that the rays are traveling causes the atmosphere to catch the light that's on a slower wavelength.

It is because we no longer share the same value system. We did for the previous history----meaning JC values. The dems are Godless. Their value system is based on hatred and class/race warfare. While reps are still at least publicly place some value on the values handed down to us from the Bible.

No doubt Hillary was like that.

She was the most pro abortion candidate we've ever seen. She even told Christians that we had to change our beliefs on the issue.

Democrats are the party of putting men in the women's restrooms which is a dangerous thing. You've even had Bruce Jenner admit he still wants to have sex with women. Dems would say that God didn't make you a man necessarily, you can have surgery and be what you want to be.

I don't agree with their poor opinion on professors but I'm not overly surprised.
Just think about negative headlines related to universities and professors covered in the MSM.
Basically, 90% is some crazy leftist professor talking shit about white people, comparing DRUMPF to dictators or some other SJW bullshit. As much as more reasonable libs try to pretend it's only a fringe movement, this shit has become way too common.
Now in comparison, you don't hear a lot of news about a conservative professor indoctrinating his students about God and abstinence.
If that was more common, more leftists would have colder views on Professors.

Proponents of god and abstinence don't really do well at critical thinking.

Not to say religious people can't be educated but faith and science are poor bedfellows.

But that is it.

Took like 3 posts to contradict yourself. Not all Dems are godless, much like not all professors are hated.

You are the biggest problem with our current political climate.
It is all absolutes and if not then the partisan hack twist their world view to suit whatever situation.
Both sides have assholes but those in the middle get lost in all the dumb; screaming.

If that was more common, more leftists would have colder opinions on Professors.
No doubt @ your last line but (and I know you're not advocating this) but the same shit could be said of police, they're always in the media for something negative, for a shooting, for "locker room" talk but it's as foolish to me to dislike educators as it is foolish to dislike the people who protect our communities

Maybe it's because I live in Florida, I've had one (1) professor that turned her class into her little political echo chamber and she was from NYC. Very stereotypical but overall professors just taught. Some were clearly libs but they didn't make class into something political.

Proponents of god and abstinence don't really do well at critical thinking.

Not to say religious people can't be educated but faith and science are poor bedfellows.
Sure, that's not limited to religious people. There are also more lib Professors than conservatives, therefore more leftist professors who can talk shit.
I wasn't talking about causes and reasons, just describing the status quo.

Look, man, you just have to throw a ton of caveats/qualifiers into every statement you make. Don't be ridiculous and expect someone who reads your statements to take the time to consider the context.

I mean, this should be as obvious as the sky is blue. At least when it isn't black because we're facing the wrong way, or when it's red because the angle that the rays are traveling causes the atmosphere to catch the light that's on a slower wavelength.
It goes directly into what I said, that they don't like professors because they hold opinions they don't like - so he brings up Peterson, who he likes because he holds opinion that he approves of.

I forgot we're dealing with cavemen though.

Back