Democrats Propose over $1 Billion for Election Cyber Security

1 billion seems steep a price in order to do the reasonable thing and go back to paper voting....

Considering that they're talking about risk assessments and audits, i'm assuming security firms.

Let me put it like this, if i'm a security firm and i'm asked to audit and perform risk assessments ALONE for the entire US, i'm asking for a shitload more than a billion. Cost of doing service.
it says in the article 1$ for security per vote. 20mil in block grants...... still leaves a ton of money unaccounted for, considering mid term turnout is fairly low.

in the same article, no evidence that any ballots were tampered with..... so the premise is without evidence on "russian hackers".

They should take Bernie's opinion on this....I'm sure he's eager to chime in...
giphy.gif

No, he knows where his bread is buttered. He started cucking it up for that "activist bitch" as soon as she completed her task of pushing Sanders out. He's a sniveling coward that will do as the few remaining men in his party tell him to.

1 billion seems steep a price in order to do the reasonable thing and go back to paper voting....
there was a reason for electronic voting.....

hanging chad......

basically, human errors when voting can/has caused more issues than boogieman hacker.

half punched chad, not fully erased entry, butterfly chads, ect.

Turbotax isnt done by hand and it's more accurate than pen and paper. There was enough human error to make the 2000 election questionable. Consider that we can do banking on our phones, which is IMO much more important than voting, much more complex, and doable by many companies that dont have a billion to spend on software.

banking apps are a plethora, and the apps themselves dont get hacked, and dont cost a billion to build. They do move billions of dollars around without issue. Voting devices are much more simplistic.
In my experience, the component of banking apps that moves the money sits on very expensive hardware. A typical bank switch runs on a $500k stratus (with replication that's at least a mil). The code is usually written by the bank's own developers (still using cobol, too, lol) and contractors and they aren't cheap. Plus there's storage and database servers. All of it requires annual licensing in the millions, easily.

Front end apps for websites and mobile devices and whatnot are way cheaper to make but don't store any sensitive data. They just have to be secure at the point of entry and in communication with the backend. That comm is tunneling to dedicated lines, also paid for by the bank.

All of that is pen tested out the wazoo by independent auditors for compliance.

it says in the article 1$ for security per vote. 20mil in block grants...... still leaves a ton of money unaccounted for, considering mid term turnout is fairly low.

in the same article, no evidence that any ballots were tampered with..... so the premise is without evidence on "russian hackers".

The Election Security Act would provide $1 billion for the U.S. Election Assistance Commission to give to help states buy voting machines that incorporate backup paper ballots, hire security staff and conduct risk assessments.

I'm a security professional, i'm not cheap. If you want to get the job done correctly, you'll pay people like me to conduct your risk assessments and audits. They will also not be cheap. Extrapolate that to the whole nation.

Then factor on buying machines, maintaining them, as well as post election audits. A billion is not exorbitant.

And as far as your last logic goes, I hope it extends to voter ID too.

A compromise to satisfy both sides:

1. If you pay taxes more than you take in, you can vote.

2. IQ over 100 (for the unemployed), you can vote

3. Have a fucken ID already, it's not that hard.

Oh who am I kidding, i didn't expect consistency there.

In my experience, the component of banking apps that moves the money sits on very expensive hardware. A typical bank switch runs on a $500k stratus (with replication that's at least a mil). The code is usually written by the bank's own developers (still using cobol, too, lol) and contractors and they aren't cheap. Plus there's storage and database servers. All of it requires annual licensing in the millions, easily.

Front end apps for websites and mobile devices and whatnot are way cheaper to make but don't store any sensitive data. They just have to be secure at the point of entry and in communication with the backend. That comm is tunneling to dedicated lines, also paid for by the bank.

All of that is pen tested out the wazoo by independent auditors for compliance.
I'm saying that the app, which is the frontend, is secure and fairly hackproof. That's all a voting machine needs, a simplistic interface, not complicated operating systems.

it certainly does NOT need to sit on expensive hardware either due to the nature of the transaction.

Does it really cost that much money to get the election workers to not be dumb and click on phishing emails or doing other dumb shit that lets malware, etc. into the computers?

No, he knows where his bread is buttered. He started cucking it up for that "activist bitch" as soon as she completed her task of pushing Sanders out. He's a sniveling coward that will do as the few remaining men in his party tell him to.
I know he was a cuck but not that cucked...

Glad that they put the hammer on these 500K of FB adds and on these 300 Russian bots !!!!

Such aggression will not stand, man !

They don't actually mean Russian nationals or ethnic Russians. "Russian" in this context is leftist slang for unreconstructed white people.

I don't think that asking how much, how effective, and how to deal with the problem is all mysteriously lost in the Labyrinth of the Pentagon.

As well, anytime there is an emergency an emotional response that does not answer basic, reasonable questions of proportion or capability seems like the right response?

I'm not sure this conversation is going to go great places.

Mr. Hero, I know who you are. You like to toss word salads in the face of people whose opinions differ from yours. Your AV is quite fitting.

And I agree, this conversation will go nowhere. Have a wonderful day.

-Mr. Rib

How about avoiding the issue altogether by simply not using voting machines that can be hacked?

That’s my stance. I’d prefer we make paper ballots mandatory. Not that they’re perfect either but they make fuckery a lot more difficult

there was a reason for electronic voting.....

hanging chad......

basically, human errors when voting can/has caused more issues than boogieman hacker.

half punched chad, not fully erased entry, butterfly chads, ect.

Turbotax isnt done by hand and it's more accurate than pen and paper. There was enough human error to make the 2000 election questionable. Consider that we can do banking on our phones, which is IMO much more important than voting, much more complex, and doable by many companies that dont have a billion to spend on software.

A. It's not some boogieman hacker that hacked out electoral system. It was a multi state hacking job by a hostile nation.

B. The hanging chad example is anecdotal, in an attempt to discredit the entire system.

All because of Trump. And I thought the republicans were the immature ones.

Are these the same Democrats that rigged the primary for Hillary and screwed the KFC guy?

What happened in California was atrocious.

this is all Kaspersky’s fault

Does it really cost that much money to get the election workers to not be dumb and click on phishing emails or doing other dumb shit that lets malware, etc. into the computers?

Women

Mr. Hero, I know who you are. You like to toss word salads in the face of people whose opinions differ from yours. Your AV is quite fitting.

And I agree, this conversation will go nowhere. Have a wonderful day.

-Mr. Rib

Approved.

I'm going to like this gimmick.

Back