Democrats Propose over $1 Billion for Election Cyber Security

I still fill out a paper ballot.

I fail to see how it couldn't work.

It's far easier to corrupt one voting machine vs. thousands of ballots.

I have more confidence in my paper ballot then I would any boating machine.
banking apps are a plethora, and the apps themselves dont get hacked, and dont cost a billion to build. They do move billions of dollars around without issue. Voting devices are much more simplistic.

Every one of our intelligent agencies have determined that Russia is trying to undermine our elections. Are you asserting that there is a massive collusion between these agencies which include the CIA, FBI, and NSA? Is that your angle?

Were they or are they successful?

Is it a tiny percentage of online trolling or a vast Russian network of secret internal spies undermining the very fabric of our freedoms?

Any relevant quotes from the agencies or percentages of how much money was spent, how many adds there were, and which machines were hacked? I would be interested and open minded to see.

Most problems usually have an answer between one and another set of outrages to "do something," after all.

That sounds like 50% of Facebook right now.

All hanging chads aside.

Which would be less expensive and more accurate to what degree?

Anyone have any literature on this?

No literature, but I can tell you off of prior experience

Electronic is faster and less secure.

Paper is slower (immensely so), and really only subject to ballot theft as a vulnerability. Granted this doesn't compensate for election theft (See: Riot, Brooks Brothers) but it's safer in theory.

The all encompassing solution doesn't exist, sadly.

One city vs nationwide. Standardization and distribution takes time, and yes, lots of money.
Sure it does, if you insist on paying third party vendors with astronomical prices.

It's like forcing everyone to use only microsoft servers, by saying they are the most secure. It's super expensive to use high end microsoft products.

Voting machines simply arent that complicated and you should not pay astronomical license fees to a software giant for that.

Why should I blindly put my faith in to people who have shown time and again they have no problem fucking people over?

Tell me your feelings on Donald Trump, the excellent businessman, just so I can work something out in my head. Please?

Change the thread title to "Republicans propose over $1 billion for election security" and watch as these replies magically transform....

How are voting machines hacked?

No clue.

I still fill out a paper ballot.

I fail to see how it couldn't work.

It's far easier to corrupt one voting machine vs. thousands of ballots.

I have more confidence in my paper ballot then I would any boating machine.

But the electronic machine will spit out a receipt. ;)

So basically paper voting. There is no "machine that can't be hacked".

It's worked for centuries. Would love to see the cost/benefit analysis.

That money is better off building the wall...now you need Cyber Security because Trump won?

Were they or are they successful?

Is it a tiny percentage of online trolling or a vast Russian network of secret internal spies undermining the very fabric of our freedoms?

Any relevant quotes from the agencies or percentages of how much money was spent, how many adds there were, and which machines were hacked? I would be interested and open minded to see.

Most problems usually have an answer between one and another set of outrages to "do something," after all.

When I see a burning building I fetch water. I don't wait for someone else to verify that the building is on fire.

You are asking me for what amounts to classified information.

What is the bar that you have set that would make you believe that Russia is fucking with us?

Protecting hacking of voting machines, preventing them from using social media to influence opinion, blocking foreign bots that rile people up and get them to oppose each other, etc. all needs to be addressed. The fact that we are not preventing foreign nations from interfering in our elections is mind boggling, but the Republicans are now the party of Trump.

Sure it does, if you insist on paying third party vendors with astronomical prices.

It's like forcing everyone to use only microsoft servers, by saying they are the most secure. It's super expensive to use high end microsoft products.

Voting machines simply arent that complicated and you should not pay astronomical license fees to a software giant for that.

It took San Fran 4 million to do this. There's 12 cities with populations greater than San Fran. That's 48 million if we're being conservative (and we're ignoring that New York alone has 8 million people).

You now have $948mm for the rest of the country.

One billion is not an astronomical number, and that's just with shitty fridge math.

The Democrats rigged their own DNC primary, they have absolutely no credibility on this issue.

Democrats also oppose voter ID laws that would prevent undocumented votes, one of the most easily hackable methods to rig an election no matter how secure the voting machine is, you just line up a bunch of undocumented and bus them around to vote again and again.

Newsflsh Nancy, the states control voting, not the fed.

Imagine if it was Trump who proposed this....
tenor.gif

It took San Fran 4 million to do this. There's 12 cities with populations greater than San Fran. That's 48 million if we're being conservative (and we're ignoring that New York alone has 8 million people).

You now have $948mm for the rest of the country.

One billion is not an astronomical number, and that's just with shitty fridge math.
I dont think you understand, the 4 mil number in san fran is to build software that the city would own and be free to distribute to the rest of the entire US for 0 cost.

The bill has money allocated to buy machines, which are currently licensed. Aside from that, each district already has funds allocated for voting, this is on top of that.

How would you know the third party machines are hack proof or bug free?

Who audits the software?

When I see a burning building I fetch water. I don't wait for someone else to verify that the building is on fire.

You are asking me for what amounts to classified information.

What is the bar that you have set that would make you believe that Russia is fucking with us?

I don't think that asking how much, how effective, and how to deal with the problem is all mysteriously lost in the Labyrinth of the Pentagon.

As well, anytime there is an emergency an emotional response that does not answer basic, reasonable questions of proportion or capability seems like the right response?

I'm not sure this conversation is going to go great places.

I dont think you understand, the 4 mil number in san fran is to build software that the city would own and be free to distribute to the rest of the entire US for 0 cost.

The bill has money allocated to buy machines, which are currently licensed. Aside from that, each district already has funds allocated for voting, this is on top of that.

How would you know the third party machines are hack proof or bug free?

Who audits the software?

Considering that they're talking about risk assessments and audits, i'm assuming security firms.

Let me put it like this, if i'm a security firm and i'm asked to audit and perform risk assessments ALONE for the entire US, i'm asking for a shitload more than a billion. Cost of doing service.

The Democrats rigged their own DNC primary, they have absolutely no credibility on this issue.

Democrats also oppose voter ID laws that would prevent undocumented votes, one of the most easily hackable methods to rig an election no matter how secure the voting machine is, you just line up a bunch of undocumented and bus them around to vote again and again.

Newsflsh Nancy, the states control voting, not the fed.
They should take Bernie's opinion on this....I'm sure he's eager to chime in...
giphy.gif

The party that funded the Steele dossier wants money for state of the art measures?

No thanks. We should give money to groups that know their asses from their elbows.

whats the algorithm that prevents bots from taking to social media -- or do they just intend to give billionaire dollar companies a ton of money to higher more scrubbers?

Back