Democrats Block Veterans Affairs Funding From Friday’s Omnibus Bill

ya they introduced the Civilian Health Care Facility plan to combat those that live too far from VA facilities, but the costs were way egregious apparently so they decided to cut it.

They did something similar recently w/ VADIP (dental insurance program) too, I still have it b/c I was grandfathered in and have been paying into it for years

I'm not sure what people mean when they say the VA sucks.

My dad was in private practice for 2+ decades before he retired to to the same work for the VA. MY mom was a nurse and did the same thing. From an administrative perspective, the VA certainly could be better and the pay is low. But are people complaining about the actual quality of care or something else?

If it's a wait time issue, I think that's an issue depending on where you live and what you need, VA or no.
it's primarily wait times, although the fact that most doctors are ancient, decrepit, crypt keeper looking retirees doesn't help either.

I've had 4 different x rays on my back/spine, w/ 4 different diagnoses that all contradict each other.....All from the VA. Good times

The va will never be fixed. Ever. It is a government organization. You think the government is going to fix the government?
Not with republicans defunding it and looking to get rid of it.

The fact that the idea of transferring some VA care to Private health care is even being considered, is a tacit admission that the private healthcare system is superior to one that's State-run.

How would either of you define "fixing" the private healthcare market in a way that isn't just more government control?
Is that a fact?

In examining the VA's performance in health care procedures versus its private sector counterparts, the report found that "in a tally of 83 different measures covering a variety of types of care, including safety and effectiveness of treatment, the quality of VA health care exceeded that of non-VA care."

https://www.federaltimes.com/manage...-va-care-equal-or-better-than-private-sector/

The va will never be fixed. Ever. It is a government organization. You think the government is going to fix the government?
Broken record but if other countries can do it why can't the US?

What was the actual reason given? Usually it’s gecsuse the title of the bill doesn’t accurately describe the contents.

Republicans: Hey, Dems we want to help veterans...

Democrats:
giphy.gif

Every time.

other countries arguably have UHC b/c we subsidize their defense (obviously too much for most people's liking i.e. spending, but still)....

Let me check, the countries that DON'T contribute their PALTRY share to NATO pretty much all have solid UHC plans....what do you know

They also don't have the military force, and thus number of Veterans that we do, none the less that have actually seen legit combat and earned some keep.

I'm not saying it can't be fixed, but comparing it to countries w/ 5th rate militaries and no spending isn't exactly a congruent comparison IMO

Yes like Canada .... I'm Canadian I know of what I speak

The guy who wrote that article is Canadian. I live in Canada.

How many times have you had a family member in the hospital in the last few years? My dad died of lung cancer and my wife has chronic kidney disease. You want to go blow for blow on this?

You read the article fast though, props on that.

1.) It's a blog hosted on the Huffpo website. It even says "blog" at the top.
2.). It supports his position, not whatever you wanted it for. Expressly says that "our health care system is better than that of the U.S." The author is arguing that even though it is better, their system still has serious problems.

So America should be basing it's system on our 30th best in the world system? Way to aim high.

All of my experiences with the VA have been great. I've been using them for about 6 years now. I use the civilian ER when I need to and it only costs $50. My ankle surgery also done by a civilian Dr only cost me around $250 when it was all said and done and that included prescription, Er visit, a walking cast, and follow up appointments.

There is also a VA clinic inside my local medical center that I use for my annual check ups and family Doctor. They have always been great.

The VA gets a bad rap, and it’s normally from those pushing a narrative.

The guy who wrote that article is Canadian. I live in Canada.

How many times have you had a family member in the hospital in the last few years? My dad died of lung cancer and my wife has chronic kidney disease. You want to go blow for blow on this?

You read the article fast though, props on that.
My dad died died Sunday after a 4 year year battle with cancer, my mother on Dec 28th ... I know of what I speak

I would love to go toe to toe but this isn't the thread for it

Go somewhere else for a couple years. You don’t know what you don’t know. You just don’t get a bill and don’t know better. You’re getting what you’re paying for unless you got extremely lucky somehow.

AlI I know is that my personal experiences have been 9 out of 10 great and I think I would know better than you seeing as I use it and you don't. Maybe your area just sucks really bad.

Last edited:
The VA is broken, terrible system. No one in Congress wants to fix it because there is a VA hospital in every Congressional district in America, and no Congressman wants to be the one to push a few hundred jobs out of their district.

@Lionel Mandrake You can use a private hospital if you're more than 40 miles away from a VA hospital http://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ing-veterans-seek-care-private-doctors-2017-4

Yeah the closest VA hospital is 70 miles away from me.

Back