Democratic Strategy for Generating "Blue Wave" Hype: DO NOT POLL inconvenient races?

Of course polls are done carefully to produce misleading results. It not like their reputation or livelihood depends on producing accurate polling or anything!!<36><36>

Accurate polling? Those polls were anything but accurate last election.

Montana- There are four polls total. 6/11-6/13, 7/8-7/10, 9/10-9/14, 9/19-9/22. The past three were all about 3+ Dem.
Indiana- Three polls. 8/26-8/29 D+3, 9/8-9/11 R+2, 9/29-10/2 D+2
Missouri- There are a bunch of polls with this race since April and it looks like it's gone back and forth multiple times. Polling didn't stop when either person took control.

None of those examples make me come even close to thinking of the premise of your conspiracy here. Even before you factor in these all are different polling groups so a complete blackout orchestrated by a party just seems impossible. I really can't see how you believe this.
Lol. No. It's definitely the media bias. Or the deep state. No, no.... The DEEP MEDIA.

Also, @JamesRussler perhaps Senate races are polled more frequently than House races. Did that not occur to you?

Because that would also explain your cherry picked examples in the OP.

Fwiw, fivethirtyeight only give's Democrats about an 18% chance of taking the Senate.

Dems. have a better chance in the House, but just due to the sheer number of races, the predictions are going to be less granular.

Last edited:
So.. we’re back to trusting polls again..?

I’m pointing out a new strategy the Left has adopted as an alternative to skewing poll numbers directly: not polling when the results are likely to show Dems losing ground. It’s a way to keep this “Blue Wave” chatter in the headlines.

I’m not the only person who has noticed this btw. There was an article on National Review yesterday which pointed out that this year’s competitive races are the most underpolled in modern times. It’s really strange when you consider the amount of attention focused on these races.

Lol. No. It's definitely the media bias. Or the deep state. No, no.... The DEEP MEDIA.

I've found it: the one conspiracy to rule them all.

Also, @JamesRussler perhaps Senate races are polled more frequently than House races. Did that not occur to you?

Of course that occurred to me. But boy, those pollsters sure are interested in Mia Love’s UT district. They sure are interested in Mike Bost’s IL district. They sure are interested in Duncan Hunter’s CA district. They sure are interested in Pete Session’s TX district. These are places where Democrats have no chance of winning, but for some reason, the pollsters and MSM are really eager to move these races into the “tossup” column. So why isn’t MN-7 a “toss-up?” The Democratic incumbent there won by a surprisingly narrow margin in a district that went +30 for Trump. The answer: there are no polls on MN-7. Same thing goes for most other House Democratic incumbents. Can’t call them “toss-ups” if you never inquire in the first place.

Same reasoning applies to the aforementioned Senate races in TX, AZ, and TN. Dems have no chance in Hell in these races, and the obsessive polling increasingly reflects that reality. Meanwhile, Jon Tester and Joe Donnelly are likely underwater. Again, can’t say they’re “losing” if you never inquire in the first place.

Just saying, this is very reminiscent of November 2016. It’s almost like the Democratic Party is on a date with Bill Cosby: they won’t have any idea what happened when they wake up on the morning after, all they’ll know is they got reamed.

Accurate polling? Those polls were anything but accurate last election.

Actually all the polling was accurate.

The projections based off the accurate polls were what was off.

Try to understand the difference.

A poll is a poll.

A projection is a guess based off a collection of polls and a collection of assumptions based off other historical data and events.

The problem with the projections is they assumed too much about the 2008 and 2016 election and applied those assumptions directly to Hillary.

The Conservative dominated media is helping ferment a level of confidence among Democrat voters based on misinformation, like they did in 2016, because Republicans can't win if all the Democrats actually turn up to vote.

100% correct. Can you imagine if all Americans voted?

Republicans would be at like 35%

I’m pointing out a new strategy the Left has adopted as an alternative to skewing poll numbers directly: not polling when the results are likely to show Dems losing ground. It’s a way to keep this “Blue Wave” chatter in the headlines.

I’m not the only person who has noticed this btw. There was an article on National Review yesterday which pointed out that this year’s competitive races are the most underpolled in modern times. It’s really strange when you consider the amount of attention focused on these races.

You still haven't provided an incentive to deceive themselves about polling.

There is no reason for Democrats to do that to themselves. It only makes sense if Republicans are doing it to Democrats.

My theory is better.

Actually all the polling was accurate.

The projections based off the accurate polls were what was off.

Try to understand the difference.

A poll is a poll.

A projection is a guess based off a collection of polls and a collection of assumptions based off historical data.

The problem with the projections is they assumed too much about the 2008 and 2016 election and applied those assumptions directly to Hillary.

I looked at a ton of polls in 2016. The problem wasn’t only the media’s “projections,” it was also pollsters’ sampling errors, turnout models, and various formulas/models they used to “normalize” poll results. If you get into the raw numbers and data for each poll, you can see the errors up close. I recall one poll that had about 70% Democratic respondents to 20% Republican, with rest undecided/independent. More than half of the responses were via landline. The pollsters attempted to extrapolate a representative sample from its original sample using some complicated formula based on turnout, party registration, and the state’s voting history. What they should have done is find a way to poll the representative sample in the first place. Anyway, the poll showed Hilllary nearly beating Trump in some red state (TX, AZ perhaps). We all know how that turned out.

Anyway, as relevant to the OP, when in 2016 did Dems finally realize they were in trouble in MI, WI, and MN? Do you remember? It was in November, like a week before the vote. Prior to that, pollsters had all but ignored those states. My point is this: not polling in inconvenient areas (notwithstanding polling errors) is the Dems’ strategy for maintaining enthusiasm. It’s also the recipe for a “November surprise.”

I looked at a ton of polls in 2016. The problem wasn’t only the media’s “projections,” it was also pollsters’ sampling errors, turnout models, and various formulas/models they used to “normalize” poll results. If you get into the raw numbers and data for each poll, you can see the errors up close. I recall one poll that had about 70% Democratic respondents to 20% Republican, with rest undecided/independent. More than half of the responses were via landline. The pollsters attempted to extrapolate a representative sample from its original sample using some complicated formula based on turnout, party registration, and the state’s voting history. What they should have done is find a way to poll the representative sample in the first place. Anyway, the poll showed Hilllary nearly beating Trump in some red state (TX, AZ perhaps). We all know how that turned out.

Anyway, as relevant to the OP, when in 2016 did Dems finally realize they were in trouble in MI, WI, and MN? Do you remember? It was in November, like a week before the vote. Prior to that, pollsters had all but ignored those states. My point is this: not polling in inconvenient areas (notwithstanding polling errors) is the Dems’ strategy for maintaining enthusiasm. It’s also the recipe for a “November surprise.”

Show me a poll that was off more than the margin for error.

Show me a poll that was off more than the margin for error.

Just a modest example: The final Monmouth poll had Hillary ahead by 4 points in PA, margin of error 4.9%. Trump won by 1.2%, which was outside the margin of error. I don’t have time to hunt them all down, but there were a ton more egregious than that. The state polls were consistently wrong. You’re probably referring to the national popular vote polls, which were always irrelevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-hillary-clinton-why-polls-wrong-2017-5

Just a modest example: The final Monmouth poll had Hillary ahead by 4 points in PA, margin of error 4.9%. Trump won by 1.2%, which was outside the margin of error. I don’t have time to hunt them all down, but there were a ton more egregious than that. The state polls were consistently wrong. You’re probably referring to the national popular vote polls, which were always irrelevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-hillary-clinton-why-polls-wrong-2017-5

Uh..

.3%.. ??
<Dany07>

Uh..

.3%.. ??
<Dany07>

The margin of error is supposed to account for minor inaccuracies, dum dum. A result outside the MOE means the poll was dead wrong. Doesn't matter that it was only .3% dead wrong. But since you're such a rational guy, try these out:
I just linked you to a total of 47 polls in 3 states from the 2016 election, all outside of the margin of error. Many of the polls I linked were egregiously outside the MOE (some by a margin which doubled or tripled the MOE).
You have been debunked.

The margin of error is supposed to account for minor inaccuracies, dum dum. A result outside the MOE means the poll was dead wrong. Doesn't matter that it was only .3% dead wrong. But since you're such a rational guy, try these out:
I just linked you to a total of 47 polls in 3 states from the 2016 election, all outside of the margin of error. Many of the polls I linked were egregiously outside the MOE (some by a margin which doubled or tripled the MOE).
You have been debunked.
Btw none of Trumps own internal polls showed him winning. When Trump found out he actually won he was just as shocked as everybody else.

Last edited:
You have been debunked.

Well, I just clicked on your first link - "2016 Michigan Polls", and unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems about half of them were Fox news polls. I didn't bother vetting the other polling organizations, but on the surface, this doesn't seem to fit with your overall theory.

Back