Democracy Index by country (2017)

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by sweede, May 15, 2018.

1. sweede

sweede Green Belt

The Democracy Index is an index compiled by the Uk-based company the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) that intends to measure the state of democracy in 167 countries, of which 166 are sovereign states and 165 are UN members.

The index was first produced in 2006, with updates for 2008, 2010 and the following years since then. The index is based on 60 indicators grouped in five different categories measuring pluralism, civil liberties and political culture. In addition to a numeric score and a ranking, the index categorises countries as one of four regime types: full democracies, flawed democracies, hybrid regimes and authoritarian regimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

Before any of you click the link of source. I would like to ask you to do a little test. Can you name 15 countries that are ranked inside the category of full democracy?(out of 19)

Furthermore, what country have you traveled to(transit is not valid) that is included in the category of authoritarian regimes?

I have been to Guinea-Bissau that has the rank of 157 out of 167. To sit here today and reflect the past, it is quite amusing to think about it.

Uruguay is a country I don´t know much about, but is by far the biggest surprise for me in this list.

Son of Jamin likes this.
  2. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

I have been to my partial home country Gambia, which is classified as a hybrid regime. It ranks only three spots from the authoritarian regimes. I think Gambia will be ranked more positively next year, now that Yahya Jammeh is gone after almost 25 years in power.

3. sweede

sweede Green Belt

Pardon my ignorance, but is Gambia the country single while women travel for sex?

4. Neph

Neph Purple Belt

More free than the land of the free

[​IMG]

5. tonni

tonni Black Belt

Way to derail your own thread <2>

Cuzcatlan, Sohei, JDragon and 7 others like this.
  6. sweede

sweede Green Belt

Haha, true that. But i feel embarrassed for the people, men or women who exploit poverty as an excuse for their own failure in their motherland.

tonni likes this.
  7. tonni

tonni Black Belt

Yeah, I'm always weary of young guys who travel to Thailand. <{fry}>edit old guys too actually it might be worse

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

Well, we provide experiences that seem like Swedes are not able provide, whether it's how well-endowed we are or how passionate we are, is something I will leave up to the judges...

9. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

1) It says Trump being elected was a primary reason US was dongraded from full to flawed democracy. That just sounds like bullshit bias from the company making its own arbitrary list

2) I don't disagree with the flawed democracy rating tho due to our shitty two party system where social aspects are locked in with economic policies really depriving voters of a chance to vote for a candidate they ever actually agree with

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. sweede

sweede Green Belt

Haha. To my defense. My wife is not a product of the sex industry. Sadly, if you come from poor areas, it is easier for a young girl to travel to tourist areas to feed the family, and for boys it is the sad story of being a subject to human cockfighting in form of Muay Thai, and this because of the gamble sick thais.

Edit. Love me som Futurama

tonni likes this.
  11. SammyPops

SammyPops Gold Belt

Canada is 6, even though our majority fedral government was elected with less thatn 40% of the vote .... similar in many provinces. Study's methods seem off.

irish_thug and Lord Palis like this.
  12. Neph

Neph Purple Belt

Four of the categories of questions are are:
    1. "Whether national elections are free and fair";
    2. "The security of voters";
    3. "The influence of foreign powers on government";
    4. "The capability of the civil servants to implement policies".
    I feel like there are at least some question marks around #3 and #4 right now

As for my own country there are questions around #4 at least.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  13. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

yes. Those 160k of facebook ads were so influential :rolleyes:

Neph likes this.
  14. Rematch

Rematch Female oil checking = AWESOMENESS!!!!!

If that's the case, Europe better watch out.

15. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

Unless your country has a protected and enshrined right to freedom of speech and an enshrined legal right to bear arms, America still wins in the "freedom meter".

The study was contrasting and comparing the Democratic processes of different countries. Access to democracy doesn't necessarily mean freedom. In many cases, democracy can end up becoming a tyranny of the majority.

Greoric, sweede and lilelvis like this.
  16. Neph

Neph Purple Belt

According to this we are tied 6th while you are now 23rd. It could be because people measure their personal freedoms different to you (frankly, I'm glad we don't have the so-called freedom to bear arms).

I will agree with you that freedom of speech should be enshrined in law.

Leagon, Kafir-kun and bref like this.
  17. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Red Belt

I think that rank is somewhat meaningless if you compare countries that are close together. I don't see how Spain is somewhat more democratic than Portugal, it's basically the same.
    Of course, there is a big difference between one that is listed as a democracy and an authoritarian regime.
    About Uruguay, I'm not sure why you're shocked. Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and southern Brazil are basically a poor outpost of Europe. It has nothing to do with the typical latin american country. Although Argentina has been on the decline, it was once one of the richest countries in the world, while Uruguay especially has been advancing.

Out of the top of my head I've been to Russia and China. Russia feels like any other eastern european country, the authoritarianism is more on the top against political figures, China feels more like a typical dictatorship, the most noticeable thing is that many websites and apps are blocked without a VPN.
    I almost went to Venezuela to work in a gold refining project but the army took over the mine and that was it. Shithole, LOL.

18. Billy no mates

Billy no mates Green Belt

How can we help make the USA more democratic ? .

19. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Gold Belt

Sharia law and more Halal Guys.

Son of Jamin and Billy no mates like this.
  20. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room

Pretty sure you're thinking of Dubai.