Demian Maia vs. Colby Covington In The Works For UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
yeah this is gonna be the "go for a beer run" match of the event for sure

God, I'm so happy this fight got made. Colby Covington is one of the most annoying fighters in MMA right now and Maia is going to choke him right back to the prelims. Can't wait.

Maia looks like a Bisping/Hamill lovechild.

Hopefully this fight will be as good as Maia vs Woodley.

<Ned01>

Really bad match-up for Maia. Covington snoozy ass about to crack the top 5 with the most-boring decision win you can imagine.

Don't see Colby winning this fight, what is going to do Wrestle Miai ? He'll get tapped out, his striking is not that good either so he can't take advantage of the standup either, maybe win a boring close decision where his just defending and grinding against the cage that would not get him a title shot, Tyron wouldn't want to fight him we all know how picky he is now days.

Last edited:
He see him losing a split or close decision ala Nate Marquardt to Vitor Belfort. Covington is a decision machine

I disagree if it goes to the ground at all ever demian has the significant advantage. He also brought the Ferguson out of Woodley a couple times with a left hook - I really think Maia is gonna destroy him

Colby will have high level tdd, and even if it goes to the ground that's obviously his forte too. Will he have better bjj? No. But who knows who has the better grappling. One thing fr sure I think Colby has better stand up

I like the matchup. I'm certain it will not go to a decision.

I think Covington, despite not being the most likeable guy, is legit. I think he takes this.

Really bad match-up for Maia. Covington snoozy ass about to crack the top 5 with the most-boring decision win you can imagine.

If he tries, and succeeds at a Tyrun type game plan, he'll get nothing. No one wants that shit again. No one. Thing is, the second he gets aggressive with his striking, that's when he'll be most vulnerable to be taken down. Tyrun knew that, we saw the outcome. I do think Colt is cocky enough to try grappling with Maia at some point though, then it gets interesting...and by interesting, I mean bad for Colton.

I am hoping for a submission from Maia.

But, I can also expect a fight almost identical to the Maia vs Woodley fight.

Covington by decision via superior strikes. Colby is annoying as hell but he's a solid fighter. Maia plays chess with only one route to the king. Colby says checkmate
His striking is better the Miai but is not nearly on the same level as Woodley, Rory, Masvidal to take advantage of Miai on the feet his BJJ is no where good as Jake Shields. Colby is very similar fighter to Jon Fitch good grinding wrestling game which will beat good amount of fighters but bad style match up against Miai.

Last edited:
If he can beat Maia, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Covington has some SERIOUS wrestling chops. Not an exciting fighter overall, but dude is a grappling bawse.

Maia is a fucking WIZARD on the ground tho.

Will be a grappling fans delight.

I like the matchup. I'm certain it will not go to a decision.

I think Covington, despite not being the most likeable guy, is legit. I think he takes this.

if it doesn't go the distance, it's because Maia finished it by RNC.

Out of ambien. Good thing this fight is coming on.

Likely, Maia was on big streak and only lost to the champ so I won't be mad if he gets the TS if he beats Maia

Don't see Colby winning this fight, what is going to do Wrestle Miai ? He'll get tapped out, his striking is not that good either so he can't take advantage of the standup either, maybe win a boring close decision where his just defending and grinding against the cage that would not get him a title shot, Tyron wouldn't want to fight him we all know how picky he is now days.

Yeah Colby's striking isn't good but I think it's better than Maia's. I can see him doing a similar gameplan to Woodley's but being more active after seeing the flak he got.

If he tries, and succeeds at a Tyrun type game plan, he'll get nothing. No one wants that shit again. No one. Thing is, the second he gets aggressive with his striking, that's when he'll be most vulnerable to be taken down. Tyrun knew that, we saw the outcome. I do think Colt is cocky enough to try grappling with Maia at some point though, then it gets interesting...and by interesting, I mean bad for Colton.
I agree with you, but who tf is Colton?

Yeah Colby's striking isn't good but I think it's better than Maia's. I can see him doing a similar gameplan to Woodley's but being more active after seeing the flak he got.
The striking style is so different compare woodley and Colby. Colby is the most basic mid level striking as you can get nothing special at all not much power Woodley on the other hand can explode into a dashing right hand from across the cage with huge power catches anyone even Thompson with his great defensive foot work. Only grappler beat Miai was Jake Shields because his a elite BJJ player, Colby's game is very similar to Jon Fitch, good grinding wrestling who can beat most fighters but bad match up against Miai.

Back