Demian Maia Said it would Be An Honour to fight Nick Diaz

He hasn't really fought any guys like that though

Now that I think about you're right. I am guessing a bit but I'm basing it off the success he's had in the clinch throughout his career.

Agreed on all counts. For Nick, it puts him right back into title contention and for Maia its a big win that puts him really close to a title shot.

I really don't think Maia will be able to take down Nick that easily. He does his best work in the clinch, where Nick is great at landing those body punches. He was even able to bully GSP a bit in the clinch. Nick has more trouble with explosive takedown artists who shoot from the outside, not guys like Maia who wade into the clinch and get takedowns from there.

all fair points. but i can't help but remember that awesome throw maia hit against sonnen who has solid greco. nick's good in the clinch and it was impressive what he did against gsp, so not sure i would really argue against your point.

i like the fight and would love to see nick take it.

Nick should take the fight, he can wein if he keeps it standing...though I doubt he can, and I really want to see that on the ground.

Totally wrong timing, plus Diaz is retired again. Still, I'd watch.

I would be a great fight. I think Maia would win, but Diaz has enough standup skills to damage Maia and jiu jitsu chops to avoid being subbed I think. I think it would be an interesting strategic match up

eh if Maia couldn't submit Fitch, he's not going to submit Diaz either.

I would love to see that fight. would be a BJJ clinic.

People saying that Maia is "lightyears ahead of Diaz" grappling wise are over exaggerating. Maia has a grappling advantage over pretty much everyone, but Diaz can hold his own.

And this is MMA people, where Maia probably has the advantage on the ground, Diaz has his toughness, striking, cardio, and if he gameplans well can take on Maia.

What is Demian Maia good at other than holding people down?

images

actual quote "i would be honoured to get an easy fight"

eh if Maia couldn't submit Fitch, he's not going to submit Diaz either.

It's not really the same, though; Fitch gave up his back right after every take down and then did nothing but defend the RNC, something he has worked really hard on getting better at since the BJ Penn fight. Nick on the other hand is unlikely to be content with surviving, and will be trying to attack, and create scrambles, splitting his focus, and creating opportunities for Maia to get a submission.

Still between Maia's inconsistent cardio and Diaz's legendary work rate, Maia could easily lose this fight. I'm not even sure I would have him as the favorite.

The fight starts standing... Would be interesting to see how it would play out

It's not really the same, though; Fitch gave up his back right after every take down and then did nothing but defend the RNC, something he has worked really hard on getting better at since the BJ Penn fight. Nick on the other hand is unlikely to be content with surviving, and will be trying to attack, and create scrambles, splitting his focus, and creating opportunities for Maia to get a submission.

Still between Maia's inconsistent cardio and Diaz's legendary work rate, Maia could easily lose this fight. I'm not even sure I would have him as the favorite.

He seemed pretty content just to survive in the GSP fight

Nick avoided fights like this for years for a reason. He has never shown that he could beat someone like Maia

Back