Demian Maia Said it would Be An Honour to fight Nick Diaz

Nick wins a 5 Rounder. 3 Rounder it's anyone's game.

People are severely underestimating Nick in this thread.

Please don't waste your time Maia.

That win would do nothing for him. He needs to call out some top 10 from WW. You are nearly at the top, Diaz is not, no point or reason for that fight.

wow really selling Nick's ground game short. I agree Mai has a world class ground game, but I think Nick has a enough tricks up his sleeve to avoid really bad situations. And Nick would tear him apart in the stand up. This fight is a lot closer than people on here say.

I think Maia would probably win a UD but Diaz's cardio could be a MAJOR factor in that fight.
Fitch's cardio didn't do him any good.

Nick has better standup and probably better TDD than Fitch though, Fitch has never shown good TDD.

But unless it's 5 rounds I don't think cardio would matter. It's all about whether Nick's TDD against GSP was legit, or GSP was just ill.

maia would win unless diaz stuffs the td. would be a very interesting matchup imo. i hope diaz would take the fight in hopes of challenging himself against a guy who is better at bjj.
if he loses he cant be like hey they keep puttin me up against wrasslers

Fitch's cardio didn't do him any good.

Nick has better standup and probably better TDD than Fitch though, Fitch has never shown good TDD.

But unless it's 5 rounds I don't think cardio would matter. It's all about whether Nick's TDD against GSP was legit, or GSP was just ill.

Nick also has better bjj than Fitch. Also, Maia doesn't have the TD's that GSP has and he doesn't have the striking of Condit. I would root and favor Demian, but this wouldn't be lock.

I'd love to see it, but would Nick accept is the real question.

I like both guys but I'm inclined to think Nick would win. I could see him stuffing Maia's TDs and smashing him on the feet with his boxing.

Nick's advantage on the feet is greater than Maia's on the ground I think.

this is the interesting part of the fight. but i wonder if nick's striking might become tentative in attempting to avoid the td. normally he's fine being taken down so his stance and striking activity are such that he stays relaxed with his striking...but against maia he'd have to play things safer to win. that said, nick doesn't seem to gameplan so...i think it's a question of stuffing a few tds, surviving on the ground and scrambling to get up to get back to what he does better than maia. in five rounds, nick might be able to pull it off. in three, i doubt it.

wow bad fight for Diaz if it happens. Give Diaz a striker!! Want to see someone bang with him

That's not how it works in the big leagues. He got that for years in Strikeforce

Shit just got real, Nick

tumblr_m6onj36hB81qmls6co1_400.gif

If diaz thought that GSP had ESP during their fight, he would think maia is a god if they fought.

If there is anybody in MMA that could possibly out jitz and grapplefuck Diaz it's definitely Maia. Maia would be a nightmare match up for Nick.

Maia wins by having a ground game that is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Nicks and that is superior in every way, shape, and form.

Yeah, come at me Diaz fans.

Maia will try to sub Diaz and win a decision Fitch style, stole Fitch's soul.

everybody is saying DM takes this easy. I think DM is better right now at this weight class, but I agree with you, ND on his feet could pick him apart, and DM isnt a guy with unstoppable td's. I would pay to see this fight is what I am saying.
Agreed on all counts. For Nick, it puts him right back into title contention and for Maia its a big win that puts him really close to a title shot.
this is the interesting part of the fight. but i wonder if nick's striking might become tentative in attempting to avoid the td. normally he's fine being taken down so his stance and striking activity are such that he stays relaxed with his striking...but against maia he'd have to play things safer to win. that said, nick doesn't seem to gameplan so...i think it's a question of stuffing a few tds, surviving on the ground and scrambling to get up to get back to what he does better than maia. in five rounds, nick might be able to pull it off. in three, i doubt it.

I really don't think Maia will be able to take down Nick that easily. He does his best work in the clinch, where Nick is great at landing those body punches. He was even able to bully GSP a bit in the clinch. Nick has more trouble with explosive takedown artists who shoot from the outside, not guys like Maia who wade into the clinch and get takedowns from there.

Maia wins by having a ground game that is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Nicks and that is superior in every way, shape, and form.

Yeah, come at me Diaz fans.

I am a Diaz fan, but you're right in that Maia has a ground game that is superior. Dunno about LIGHT YEARS, but superior for sure.

If there is anybody in MMA that could possibly out jitz and grapplefuck Diaz it's definitely Maia. Maia would be a nightmare match up for Nick.

There are plenty of people who would out "grapplefuck" Nick

Agreed on all counts. For Nick, it puts him right back into title contention and for Maia its a big win that puts him really close to a title shot.

I really don't think Maia will be able to take down Nick that easily. He does his best work in the clinch, where Nick is great at landing those body punches. He was even able to bully GSP a bit in the clinch. Nick has more trouble with explosive takedown artists who shoot from the outside, not guys like Maia who wade into the clinch and get takedowns from there.

He hasn't really fought any guys like that though

Back