Demetrius Johnsons Legacy

Amazing fighter but his legacy is very limited due to lack of compelling fights/contender at FlW and his recent ducking of TJ.

There aren't many men on this planet that can make 125 pounds. And even less become mixed martial artists.

So as good as his record is, it doesn't have as much impact as GSP's, Anderson Silva etc who competed in much deeper divisions.

All anyone will talk about after he retires is how he ducked Dillashaw.

His greatest accomplishment: ducking Dillashaw. I gotta give it to DJ.

It is bad when the most interesting thing about him is that he ALMOST manned up and fought TJ....but then he didn't.

This is the size of MM's legacy.

QWyrylU.jpg

But of course "P4P" it's the size of planets.
GqtVEzg.gif

<36>

I like him but nobody will remember him as a goat,cmon he is small af

"Greatest ever" is pretty much always subjective. Put your stamp on the sport as best you can.

DJ just needs to be DJ - go defend that belt 10 more times, and let's see how long that record stands.

DiMaggio's hitting streak is still alive, and likely won't be beaten unless the game seriously changes through rules or player physiology. That is pretty cool for Joe.

Go do you, DJ. Get those highlight maneuver finishes and show people how defending a weight class's belt works. I'll keep tuning in.

If I were DJ, I would accept the TJ fight at FlyW… then do a rematch at BW or fight Cody at BW if he wins.... then defend a few times. DJ is a great fighter, but if he doesn't do something memorable, he'll be remembered as a can crusher

Demetrious Johnson needs to fight guys like TJ, Cody... some bigger names to cement a legacy..
Daniel Cormier for example fought an won against fighters like Silva, Rumble, Özdemir, Stipe... this is legacy definining.. Demetrious Johnson always fought against "Nonames", so thats not legacy defining.

Jon Jones beat big names as well, Daniel Cormier for example.... Shogun, Machida.. Rashad Evans... all in their prime.. Thats legacy defining...

At this point Mighty Mouse has cemented himself as one of the greatest champions of all time in the UFC. When people talk about p4p best fighters, he's always deservedly towards the top but never seems to crack that #1 spot.

He tried to get his super fighter vs TJ, and it didn't on out. He will continue to defend his belt now, but my question is, what does he have to do to go leave a legacy as the greatest fighter of all time? Can he do it in his weight class or does he really need this super fight? If he defends 5 more challengers we all know aren't ready, will that even move the needle?
IMHO he is cemented at his WC already. It will be close to impossible to repeat what he just did. So now, he needs to move up and try for TJ's belt. If he is able to get that belt and defend, it will be very hard to deny him GOAT status (at least UFC's GOAT)....

Back