Demetrious: Stomps/soccer kicks to the head much tougher/take more skill than grounded elbows

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score

Also talked about PRIDE rules being better for MMA with the 10 minute rounds and the scoring making much more sense. Not surprising, most intelligent fighters and Sherdawgers who have been following MMA for that long feel the same way about stomps/soccer kicks and the rules/judging. Also restated Arlovski, Mirko and Shogun are his MMA heroes. The whole vid is worth watching.

I agree. Azevedo and Ninja Rua's 180 head stomps were beautiful.

I wonder who DJ could be talking about at the ten minute mark?

it's amazing to me how people will watch jones break vera's fucking face with an elbow and think nothing of it...

But if it's a grounded knee / soccer kick / footstomp that someone gets caught with on their way out it's barbaric

it's amazing to me how people will watch jones break vera's fucking face with an elbow and think nothing of it...

But if it's a grounded knee / soccer kick / footstomp that someone gets caught with on their way out it's barbaric
human logic - if it looks barbaric, it must be barbaric. {<escalated}

They are definitely harder to land. But when one, or 6, do land, they can cause serious damage very quickly.

In a perfect world stomps, soccer kicks, knees to the head on the ground and elbows would all be allowed in the same organization.

With that said, the abuse most of the pride guys took definitely showed as they got older. They seemed to age quicker. I also like watching guys fight as often as possible and with those rules I see more guys being medically suspended for much longer.

I do wish that knees to the head on the ground were allowed though. The current rules still continue to favor wrestlers far too much. If you can effectively sprawl when a guy tries to take you down, you should be able to punish him for that. Instead, he can just keep his hands on the ground and you are still pretty limited with what you can do against him.

It would make side control for wrestlers more deadly though as well. Instead of hammer fists they could start blasting away with some knees from there.

The 10 minute first round is also a great idea. Bjj guys are at such a disadvantage with the 5 minute round. Most won't even try to pull guard anymore because say you pull guard with 2 minutes left in the round, that doesn't give you enough time to work against a wrestler or striker that knows enough bjj to survive for a little bit. Give that same bjj guy 7 or 8 minutes from that position though and it significantly increases their odds.

All things considered though, the sport is awesome. These are just some minor changes I'd like to see. Others may disagree and that's fine.

Yeah, pretty easy to agree with. Harder to aim for those strikes rather than elbows from mount or other ground positions where you're on top(or bottom even). But I love seeing some bow action. Wouldn't trade it at this point, they're still relatively rare.

In a perfect world stomps, soccer kicks, knees to the head on the ground and elbows would all be allowed in the same organization.

With that said, the abuse most of the pride guys took definitely showed as they got older. They seemed to age quicker. I also like watching guys fight as often as possible and with those rules I see more guys being medically suspended for much longer.

I do wish that knees to the head on the ground were allowed though. The current rules still continue to favor wrestlers far too much. If you can effectively sprawl when a guy tries to take you down, you should be able to punish him for that. Instead, he can just keep his hands on the ground and you are still pretty limited with what you can do against him.

It would make side control for wrestlers more deadly though as well. Instead of hammer fists they could start blasting away with some knees from there.

The 10 minute first round is also a great idea. Bjj guys are at such a disadvantage with the 5 minute round. Most won't even try to pull guard anymore because say you pull guard with 2 minutes left in the round, that doesn't give you enough time to work against a wrestler or striker that knows enough bjj to survive for a little bit. Give that same bjj guy 7 or 8 minutes from that position though and it significantly increases their odds.

All things considered though, the sport is awesome. These are just some minor changes I'd like to see. Others may disagree and that's fine.
I've never understood why more fighters don't knee the ribs when they have side control. It's the first thing i would start doing personally.

The chick that asked the question was kinda hot.

I agree.
Also MMA rules without knee/soccer kicks are very " sporty " (in opposition to " martial " ) to me, as the first thing someone who stuffs a TD attemps would do in the street would be knee/soccer kick/stomp...
Also make the rules heavily favoring wrestlers

Somebody should tell Anik to ties his laces, dude is douching it hard wearing his shoes like that.

The perfect World is called
ONE FC

Also talked about PRIDE rules being better for MMA with the 10 minute rounds and the scoring making much more sense. Not surprising, most intelligent fighters and Sherdawgers who have been following MMA for that long feel the same way about stomps/soccer kicks and the rules/judging. Also restated Arlovski, Mirko and Shogun are his MMA heroes. The whole vid is worth watching.

Thanks for the cliffs. Saw this on the Youtube channel but thought this would just be repetition of the previous Q&A with DJ which I had seen so I didn't bother to watch it. Going to watch this later today.

Good to see Demetrious down playing elbows in gnp.

I dont care about the league or the rules, all that matters is that we get to see Demetrious continue to dominate!

Back