Demetrious Johnson's "I only fight bums" strategy is financially smart, but will never get him fans

He didn't dodge anyone. He asked either TJ fight once at 125 to make the weight or be given a guarantee that he would be paid if he accepted the fight and TJ didn't make weight.
Why didn't he make the same demand against Borg, despite Borg having a history of missing weight at 125?

MM is amazing and could beat TJ. But the fact that he wont even try is so lacking in drama. Pro fighting should have drama and excitement. MM's fights never have that whatsoever. When you always know the outcome of a fight, how can you get pumped for it? No one has EVER been pumped for a MM fight.

Why didn't he make the same demand against Borg, despite Borg having a history of missing weight at 125?
The best part was Borg fucking his cut up and not able to make weight and MM reply was "this shit happens sometimes"

Fraud

The best part was Borg fucking his cut up and not able to make weight and MM reply was "this shit happens sometimes"

Fraud
Exactly. Didn't hear him whine about he should've got his guaranteed purse etc. then. Even his fans know that he's blatantly ducking TJ, but don't want to admit it.

What if there were a 95 lb division which had a fighter who completed dominated it. Would he be a GOAT candidate?

Also: He used to fight at 105 but lost to the champ there and moved down to 95. And now the current 105-lb champ wants to move down to challenge him at 95 but he doesn't want any part of it.

Would anyone have respect for this "champion" ?

What about him?
I have to explain this? Guy looks amazing in a lower league, and gets clowned by Anthony Perosh when he comes back to the UFC. Same with MM appearing to be world class fighting in the UFC's weakest division, but becomes an excuse rolodex when someone mentions TJ.

I have to explain this? Guy looks amazing in a lower league, and gets clowned by Anthony Perosh when he comes back to the UFC. Same with MM appearing to be world class fighting in the UFC's weakest division, but becomes an excuse rolodex when someone mentions TJ.
Big difference. MM is fighting the best ranked fighters at his weigh class. Not the same as can crushing in the minors.

Big difference. MM is fighting the best ranked fighters at his weigh class. Not the same as can crushing in the minors.
Unfortunately, but fortunately for DJ, most of the top ranked 125ers are cans.
It's like a metaphor, doesn't have to be the exact same thing. You just have to be able to see and understand the similarities.

What doesn't add up is that he only makes these demands for TJ. He's ok fighting Borg without any purse guarantee despite Borg having missed weight multiple times before. He also doesn't want a higher purse for fighting any of the 125 contenders. Instead he should say, 'hey I'm the champ, the P4P best, blah blah, so pay me $2M to fight regardless of who I have to fight". But he's putting these extra conditions so he doesn't have to fight TJ.

Which I understand. Why would you risk losing your belt fighting a tougher challenger, when you can continue to rack up wins and comparitively small purses by fighting lower calibre fighters, most of whom you have already beaten. Sounds like the mentality of a true champion and the P4P best right?
if TJ wasn't champ at 135 and was making his way through the 125 rankings, i'd agree. but he isn't. he's the champ in the weightclass above, and the UFC want to make this fight because it could be billed as a big champion vs champion match. if they want it, they need to pay for it.

he doesn't put extra conditions on 125 challenger fights because those are regular fights in his division, and fighting the man from a weightclass above isn't regular. a champion is supposed to fight the highest ranked available challenger in his division. that's what they need to do. if we're going to disregard that and ask him to fight someone from a higher weightclass, i don't see why he shouldn't have demands of his own.

there's a fallacy here regarding his opposition. people act like his opponents are bad fighters, and it's infuriating. when DJ fought them, dodson was an absolute monster at 125, mariaga was a div 1 wrestler with a 13-1 and record finishing contenders, benavidez was making pretty much everyone look bad, horiguchi was (and still is) a beast of a fighter, and cejudo was an olympic champion with serious power. the rest (including ray borg) were good, solid contenders. no champion fights nothing but world beaters, but DJ has actually fought really stiff competition. no one knows jack shit about those guys though, and "fans" are hilariously confusing mainstream appeal of challengers with their fighting ability: since they don't know the opponent, he sucks.

most people hate on MM completely irrationally. manlet, boring, duck... it's all horseshit. he is the epitome of MMA and he finishes really good fighters left and right, in spectacular fashion. but hating him is the hip thing to do here, because the board is filled with adolescent boys who think they're hot shit because they're taller than a champion.

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is one fight away from being a 10K/10K fighter. He got a 370,000$ cheque in his last fight only because he's a champion on a crazy win streak. Take that title off of him and he's worth nothing to the UFC.

Moreover, DJ knows very well the danger TJ poses to him. I doubt the man(let) himself believes his own GOAT talk. After all, he was beated by both Dominick Cruz and Brad Pickett.

It's simply not worth it for DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, even if it means a salary increase for one fight. After TJ destroys him, he'll be back to the 10K/10K salary tier. Best he can hope for is 35K/35K.

Therefore it's a much more sound financial strategy to keep fighting the likes of Ralph Cejudo, Ray Borg, Tim Scoggins, William Reis, and Carlos Moraga. At least these fighters provide him with a steady stream of 6 figure revenue for a night's work with minimum effort.

Plus, he gets to convince his 14 fans that he is the GOAT, while rorting some dollars from them on Twitch.

A brilliant strategy by Demetrious, but don't expect any fight fans to flock to you. A lot of people are seeing through his con, especially after the whole TJ debacle.
To be fair almost anyone in DJ's position would do the same thing. Like you said, why risk losing the large, but comparatively smaller paydays, while trying to chase an even larger one that you know you will lose. He doesn't have anything to gain from fighting TJ, because he has accepted that he can't win that fight.

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is one fight away from being a 10K/10K fighter. He got a 370,000$ cheque in his last fight only because he's a champion on a crazy win streak. Take that title off of him and he's worth nothing to the UFC.

Moreover, DJ knows very well the danger TJ poses to him. I doubt the man(let) himself believes his own GOAT talk. After all, he was beated by both Dominick Cruz and Brad Pickett.

It's simply not worth it for DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, even if it means a salary increase for one fight. After TJ destroys him, he'll be back to the 10K/10K salary tier. Best he can hope for is 35K/35K.

Therefore it's a much more sound financial strategy to keep fighting the likes of Ralph Cejudo, Ray Borg, Tim Scoggins, William Reis, and Carlos Moraga. At least these fighters provide him with a steady stream of 6 figure revenue for a night's work with minimum effort.

Plus, he gets to convince his 14 fans that he is the GOAT, while rorting some dollars from them on Twitch.

A brilliant strategy by Demetrious, but don't expect any fight fans to flock to you. A lot of people are seeing through his con, especially after the whole TJ debacle.
Worked for Fedor and Anderson, no reason why its any different for MM.

Infact, even the worse fighter at FLW is more well roundrd and better than any HW of fedors era.

He didn't dodge anyone. He asked either TJ fight once at 125 to make the weight or be given a guarantee that he would be paid if he accepted the fight and TJ didn't make weight.
He said he'd fight TJ under his normal contract if he took a contender fight at FLW and made weight. If they just want TJ to move down and get a one-off title shot he wants PPV points on a good card and financial guarantees for if TJ misses weight.
None of this is unreasonable and he's been pretty straight forward about it. I can't think of another time when people have been so desperate to ignore the facts.

DJ is a soup can crusher. No one takes his claims of being goat serious, he's not even in the discussion lol.

I remember when fighter bashing used to get people banned.

if TJ wasn't champ at 135 and was making his way through the 125 rankings, i'd agree. but he isn't. he's the champ in the weightclass above, and the UFC want to make this fight because it could be billed as a big champion vs champion match. if they want it, they need to pay for it.

he doesn't put extra conditions on 125 challenger fights because those are regular fights in his division, and fighting the man from a weightclass above isn't regular. a champion is supposed to fight the highest ranked available challenger in his division. that's what they need to do. if we're going to disregard that and ask him to fight someone from a higher weightclass, i don't see why he shouldn't have demands of his own.

there's a fallacy here regarding his opposition. people act like his opponents are bad fighters, and it's infuriating. when DJ fought them, dodson was an absolute monster at 125, mariaga was a div 1 wrestler with a 13-1 and record finishing contenders, benavidez was making pretty much everyone look bad, horiguchi was (and still is) a beast of a fighter, and cejudo was an olympic champion with serious power. the rest (including ray borg) were good, solid contenders. no champion fights nothing but world beaters, but DJ has actually fought really stiff competition. no one knows jack shit about those guys though, and "fans" are hilariously confusing mainstream appeal of challengers with their fighting ability: since they don't know the opponent, he sucks.

most people hate on MM completely irrationally. manlet, boring, duck... it's all horseshit. he is the epitome of MMA and he finishes really good fighters left and right, in spectacular fashion. but hating him is the hip thing to do here, because the board is filled with adolescent boys who think they're hot shit because they're taller than a champion.
That's exactly DJ's narrative and it's just a bunch of excuses. Nothing against you personally, so let's agree to disagree.

Yeah. Cejudo, Benavidez, Dodson, Horiguchi all bums. The bummiest.
These guys aren't bums. I agree.

You guys hate on him regardless over the size thing so why would he try to please people like you? He's the best at what he does and puts on memorable performance after memorable performance. He's earned every right to do as he pleases.
If this were true, he'd make more money and do bigger shows.

Back