Demetrious Johnson's "I only fight bums" strategy is financially smart, but will never get him fans

Don't agree with that. He's fought the best in his division, the problem is that his division sucks. It's made up of fighters the size of grade school kids, well below the size of an average adult man. Calling him the GOAT fighter is like having a separate pro basketball league for players under 5'5" and calling the star of the league the GOAT basketball player IMO.

Who is the GOAT in your opinion? Because by that logic it can only be HW and all the other divisions are trash, not just FLW. I hope you are consistent and dont consider GSP, Conor, Khabib, Ferguson, Romero, Whitaker etc. good fighters, they are all bums by your logic.

Ok, I'll re-write.

MM is the only champion-level fighter allowed to drop to 125 from 135.

In addition, it goes without saying, and according to MM, MM is allowed to dodge anyone else who decides to drop to 125 from 135.

If your standards are so ridiculous that only a former champion can be considered a quality opponent then idk what to tell you.

Benavidez only lost to Cruz and DJ over a 10 year period up until last weekend, I fail to see how that's a weak opponent.

Dodson is a deserved top 10 bantamweight who arguably beat Marlon Moraes recently.

Horiguchi is fucking smoking former featherweights in japan.

Absolute nonsense to sit here and act like only people with belts are good fighters.

Last edited:
My condolences to you for having to lie awake at night thinking about this for so long. I hope that angrily typing it out on Sherdog sets you free of this crippling mental and emotional burden.
MM Bless

Who is the GOAT in your opinion? Because by that logic it can only be HW and all the other divisions are trash, not just FLW. I hope you are consistent and dont consider GSP, Conor, Khabib, Ferguson, Romero, Whitaker etc. good fighters, they are all bums by your logic.

I didn't say he was a bum or a bad fighter at all, I said that it seems absurd that someone that's so much smaller than the average male and fighting other fighters also so much smaller doesn't seem fair in comparison to divisions made up of fighters that are the size of or bigger than the average adult male. It's true. The top fighters of the HW division would wreck the others for the most part and that's why they make separate weight classes, but to me the divisions like 125-145 are apples and oranges compared to the heavier divisions. You don't take shots you see taken regularly in the lighter divisions in the heavier divisions and keep going.

As for who is GOAT, I would say Jones whom I am not a fan of. Sad all the bs outside the cage.

If your standards are so ridiculous that only a former champion can be considered a quality opponent than idk what to tell you.

Benavidez only lost to Cruz and DJ over a 10 year period up until last weekend, I fail to see how that's a weak opponent.

Dodson is a deserved top 10 bantamweight who arguably beat Marlon Moraes recently.

Horiguchi is fucking smoking former featherweights in japan.

Absolute nonsense to sit here and act like only people with belts are good fighters.
This came up the other day. Fighters who are in the Top 10 in the top promotion in the world get blasted for “sucking.”
If only these guys held the same standard for their women maybe they wouldn’t be married to hogs.

I can see both sides
I can see Johnson thinking why risk breaking his winning streak against a guy that nobody knows if he's even going to make weight, risk getting less money instead of more money in the future if he loses plus all the goat talk
on the other hand come on, take some chances man. he'll probably will get a huge amount of publicity because of the tj fight, can regain the title of he loses that could get some people interested in watching him fight

you people do realize he agreed to fight TJ if they guaranteed him a dillasnake's entire purse in case TJ misses weight, right?

he also said he'd fight him if they paid him $2M.

considering he's the champion with the most title defenses in the history of the sport, and the fact that TJ had never fought at 125, both demands are perfectly reasonable. if the UFC wants to make this superfight so bad, they should shell out some guaranteed purses for it, or they can go fuck themselves.

Interesting prediction about his remuneration. I have seen it argued on this site that Ronda Rousey only fought bums. True or not, I don't think any of her opponents, including those that bested her, can hold a candle to Johnson's. I trust Rousey isn't going on food stamps.

Ok, I'll re-write.

MM is the only champion-level fighter allowed to drop to 125 from 135.

In addition, it goes without saying, and according to MM, MM is allowed to dodge anyone else who decides to drop to 125 from 135.

He didn't dodge anyone. He asked either TJ fight once at 125 to make the weight or be given a guarantee that he would be paid if he accepted the fight and TJ didn't make weight.

Every week, same shit. Conor this, DJ this, Random Goat talks about non-goats, Weight cutting.....

I can't help but be like...
<Dylan>

I believe you've triggered half of DJ's 34 fans.

You're not nice.

I don't think it's financially smart at all. Look at Conor: he showed us that by taking on the biggest challenges, people will pay out their asses and will forgive a loss. Ronda and Mouse are the same: both ducked to death the champ at the weight class above, fought a steady row of inferior opponents for ages, hyped by Rogan as both being GOAT's, and as soon as they lose, they will get chewed up and never be looked at the same. Ducking is just a terrible strategy for any fighter.

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is one fight away from being a 10K/10K fighter. He got a 370,000$ cheque in his last fight only because he's a champion on a crazy win streak. Take that title off of him and he's worth nothing to the UFC.

Moreover, DJ knows very well the danger TJ poses to him. I doubt the man(let) himself believes his own GOAT talk. After all, he was beated by both Dominick Cruz and Brad Pickett.

It's simply not worth it for DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, even if it means a salary increase for one fight. After TJ destroys him, he'll be back to the 10K/10K salary tier. Best he can hope for is 35K/35K.

Therefore it's a much more sound financial strategy to keep fighting the likes of Ralph Cejudo, Ray Borg, Tim Scoggins, William Reis, and Carlos Moraga. At least these fighters provide him with a steady stream of 6 figure revenue for a night's work with minimum effort.

Plus, he gets to convince his 14 fans that he is the GOAT, while rorting some dollars from them on Twitch.

A brilliant strategy by Demetrious, but don't expect any fight fans to flock to you. A lot of people are seeing through his con, especially after the whole TJ debacle.

If you honestly think DJ is the same fighter he was back then, I feel sorry for you...you think the dj of today would get suplexed by cruz like he did in their fight, if they fought now? dj is light years better than he was...the dj of today would not only out grapple cruz but out strike him and out speed him as well...and do it quite easily...This is like comparing the jon jones who fought Bonner to the one who fought dc...haha

It's funny how hard TJ fans push for this fight and call out MM.
I get the draw to see him move up, but it's not as though dude is barely making weight, he's literally one of, if not THE smallest guy in the company.

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is one fight away from being a 10K/10K fighter. He got a 370,000$ cheque in his last fight only because he's a champion on a crazy win streak. Take that title off of him and he's worth nothing to the UFC.

Moreover, DJ knows very well the danger TJ poses to him. I doubt the man(let) himself believes his own GOAT talk. After all, he was beated by both Dominick Cruz and Brad Pickett.

It's simply not worth it for DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, even if it means a salary increase for one fight. After TJ destroys him, he'll be back to the 10K/10K salary tier. Best he can hope for is 35K/35K.

Therefore it's a much more sound financial strategy to keep fighting the likes of Ralph Cejudo, Ray Borg, Tim Scoggins, William Reis, and Carlos Moraga. At least these fighters provide him with a steady stream of 6 figure revenue for a night's work with minimum effort.

Plus, he gets to convince his 14 fans that he is the GOAT, while rorting some dollars from them on Twitch.

A brilliant strategy by Demetrious, but don't expect any fight fans to flock to you. A lot of people are seeing through his con, especially after the whole TJ debacle.
Well apparently all his bills are paid off streaming these days so that 370k check is literally investment money. I would fight every bum in the world if I had my bills paid from playing video games and still got 370k 2-3 times a year to invest.

TJ Dillashaw fans are officially the worst fans in the sport. Congrats.

He just makes his opponent look like bums because he is on a different level.
Yes, I would like to see him fight TJ but dismissing him outright and calling him a guy who has only fought bums, is really shortsighted.
And the whole midget-real men shtick is really sad.
He would kick all of our asses and you know it.

giphy.gif
Clear bum-level move

you people do realize he agreed to fight TJ if they guaranteed him a dillasnake's entire purse in case TJ misses weight, right?

he also said he'd fight him if they paid him $2M.

considering he's the champion with the most title defenses in the history of the sport, and the fact that TJ had never fought at 125, both demands are perfectly reasonable. if the UFC wants to make this superfight so bad, they should shell out some guaranteed purses for it, or they can go fuck themselves.
What doesn't add up is that he only makes these demands for TJ. He's ok fighting Borg without any purse guarantee despite Borg having missed weight multiple times before. He also doesn't want a higher purse for fighting any of the 125 contenders. Instead he should say, 'hey I'm the champ, the P4P best, blah blah, so pay me $2M to fight regardless of who I have to fight". But he's putting these extra conditions so he doesn't have to fight TJ.

Which I understand. Why would you risk losing your belt fighting a tougher challenger, when you can continue to rack up wins and comparitively small purses by fighting lower calibre fighters, most of whom you have already beaten. Sounds like the mentality of a true champion and the P4P best right?

Back