Demetrious Johnson's "I only fight bums" strategy is financially smart, but will never get him fans

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is one fight away from being a 10K/10K fighter. He got a 370,000$ cheque in his last fight only because he's a champion on a crazy win streak. Take that title off of him and he's worth nothing to the UFC.

Moreover, DJ knows very well the danger TJ poses to him. I doubt the man(let) himself believes his own GOAT talk. After all, he was beated by both Dominick Cruz and Brad Pickett.

It's simply not worth it for DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, even if it means a salary increase for one fight. After TJ destroys him, he'll be back to the 10K/10K salary tier. Best he can hope for is 35K/35K.

Therefore it's a much more sound financial strategy to keep fighting the likes of Ralph Cejudo, Ray Borg, Tim Scoggins, William Reis, and Carlos Moraga. At least these fighters provide him with a steady stream of 6 figure revenue for a night's work with minimum effort.

Plus, he gets to convince his 14 fans that he is the GOAT, while rorting some dollars from them on Twitch.

A brilliant strategy by Demetrious, but don't expect any fight fans to flock to you. A lot of people are seeing through his con, especially after the whole TJ debacle.

Yeah. Cejudo, Benavidez, Dodson, Horiguchi all bums. The bummiest.

You guys hate on him regardless over the size thing so why would he try to please people like you? He's the best at what he does and puts on memorable performance after memorable performance. He's earned every right to do as he pleases.

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is one fight away from being a 10K/10K fighter. He got a 370,000$ cheque in his last fight only because he's a champion on a crazy win streak. Take that title off of him and he's worth nothing to the UFC.

Moreover, DJ knows very well the danger TJ poses to him. I doubt the man(let) himself believes his own GOAT talk. After all, he was beated by both Dominick Cruz and Brad Pickett.

It's simply not worth it for DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, even if it means a salary increase for one fight. After TJ destroys him, he'll be back to the 10K/10K salary tier. Best he can hope for is 35K/35K.

Therefore it's a much more sound financial strategy to keep fighting the likes of Ralph Cejudo, Ray Borg, Tim Scoggins, William Reis, and Carlos Moraga. At least these fighters provide him with a steady stream of 6 figure revenue for a night's work with minimum effort.

Plus, he gets to convince his 14 fans that he is the GOAT, while rorting some dollars from them on Twitch.

A brilliant strategy by Demetrious, but don't expect any fight fans to flock to you. A lot of people are seeing through his con, especially after the whole TJ debacle.
i__m_a_fan_by_miskiti.jpg

please, explain to me more how DJ would only get 10 and 10 if he lost the UFC title. lol.

Don't agree with that. He's fought the best in his division, the problem is that his division sucks. It's made up of fighters the size of grade school kids, well below the size of an average adult man. Calling him the GOAT fighter is like having a separate pro basketball league for players under 5'5" and calling the star of the league the GOAT basketball player IMO.

I think he's foolish for not accepting TJ at 125 because I think TJ will lose a lot at that weight. That fight should be at a 135, but I'd say it's more likely that rather than fear he sees this as a rare opportunity for a money fight and won't accept it without a big payday and they didn't offer enough.

Makes sense that he'd want to sit pretty on top of a division where no one can touch him. The fact he's demanding big money and popularity for doing so doesn't.

Meh OP.

His last win was fucking spectacular, he seems to be getting better, and the sign of a dominant champ is they always make their division look like it's full of bums and cans (eg Silva in his prime, Jones during his first few title defenses)

The only concession to be made really is that his division is fairly new and so the talent pool might be a little shallow.

He just makes his opponent look like bums because he is on a different level.
Yes, I would like to see him fight TJ but dismissing him outright and calling him a guy who has only fought bums, is really shortsighted.
And the whole midget-real men shtick is really sad.
He would kick all of our asses and you know it.

giphy.gif

If you believe you can't compete with anyone dropping down from 135, then yes, it makes financial sense to dodge anyone who could beat you.

The problem is that we want to believe our champions can beat anyone in their weight class. Not even MM believes this. We know he is only doing "fake" defenses now.

MM also believes he is the only one allowed to drop to 125 from 135.

Yeah. Btw, when is TJ fighting at 145?

Not the same thing at all. Nobody is asking MM to go to 135. MM has a challenger ready to make weight at 125 and throw down.

MM clearly wants no part of TJ. This makes MM a lame champion who will forever have an asterisk by his name amongst mma fans.

Perhaps it is a good financial decision by MM - if MM believes he would lost to TJ at 125.

here come the hordes or short tempered MM peanut huggers

he's like conor then
By fighting a GOAT in the division and before that took any replacement who stepped up when they fell out. You can say what you want about Conor but when active he was fighting everyone. People wanted to Edgar fight but Conor choose to get the belt instead so who can blame him. Plus he fought Chad on short notice. The rematch with Diaz is seen as him being scared and wanting to fight mid-tier fighters but Diaz already proved to be a stylistic nightmare for Conor and he wanted a rematch anyways.

MM also believes he is the only one allowed to drop to 125 from 135.

What the fuck kind of asinine logic is this? Most (if not all) of DJ's opponents have fought at 135 at some point in their career.

What the fuck kind of asinine logic is this? Most (if not all) of DJ's opponents have fought at 135 at some point in their career.

Ok, I'll re-write.

MM is the only champion-level fighter allowed to drop to 125 from 135.

In addition, it goes without saying, and according to MM, MM is allowed to dodge anyone else who decides to drop to 125 from 135.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back