Demetrious Johnson VS The current top ten in 135 division THREAD updated/Poll closed results on OP

Which guys do you think DJ would defeat right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't get to vote but DJ loses to Cody, Snake, Cruz, and Lineker at 135. They would just manhandle him like Cruz did.

I didn't get to vote but DJ loses to Cody, Snake, Cruz, and Lineker at 135. They would just manhandle him like Cruz did.
DJ murders Lineker. Goes to war with Cody and Cruz. Beats TJ in a close match.

He says he's would but he'd need to be paid more. That's been his answer not that he's not interested. He comments on it on the MMA hour after 216.

I'm aware big money could change his plans as he's entertained the idea when pressed, but by all indications his expectation and preference is to stay at 125. He's made it clear even on that mmahour interview.

"Staying at 125. I don’t know see why I would leave when I just cemented this legacy. Why not set it to 15 (title defenses)? There’s going to come another guy down the road who’s going to be aiming for my record, so my job is to set the bar high."

This is only 1 of many interviews. He's answered the same questions for 2 months now and gave a similar answer every time. His plan first and foremost is to stay at 125. Can't we just respect that?

Last edited:
I'm aware big money could change his plans as he's entertained the idea when pressed, but by all indications his expectation and preference is to stay at 125. He's made it clear even on that mmahour interview.

"Staying at 125. I don’t know see why I would leave when I just cemented this legacy. Why not set it to 15 (title defenses)? There’s going to come another guy down the road who’s going to be aiming for my record, so my job is to set the bar high.

This is only 1 of many interviews. He's answered the same questions for 2 months now and gave a similar answer every time. His plan first and foremost is to stay at 125. Can't we just respect that?
I have no issue with that but the comment was misleading. It is a possibility for him but not something he is actively seeking. I'll watch him regardless. He's one of my favorite fighters to watch. However, it is only right to put everything out there.

I can happen if the offer is good. Will it? Who knows? No matter what, that belt is getting defended.

I have no issue with that but the comment was misleading. It is a possibility for him but not something he is actively seeking. I'll watch him regardless. He's one of my favorite fighters to watch. However, it is only right to put everything out there.

I can happen if the offer is good. Will it? Who knows? No matter what, that belt is getting defended.
Yes I do agree with that. He hasn't shut the door on 135 but he's also not planning to go through it right now.

The thing is when some bring up that he can simply go up, challenge himself at a disadvantage, and then hey if he loses he can always come back down, like the guy below said...

....he can move up to bw for money fights and continue growing his consecutive defense record even if he loses.....

What some don't realize is that it's not just a matter of legacy, but also potential brain damage. MM hinted towards that unless your being better financially compensated, why would you move up a division you're already small in, and put you're health on the line? The risk has to be worth the reward.

Yes I do agree with that. He hasn't shut the door on 135 but he's also not planning to go through it right now.

The thing is when some bring up that he can simply go up, challenge himself at a disadvantage, and then hey if he loses he can always come back down, like the guy below said...

What some don't realize is that it's not just a matter of legacy, but also potential brain damage. MM hinted towards that unless your being better financially compensated, why would you move up a division you're already small in, and put you're health on the line? The risk has to be worth the reward.
Agreed. Dj should only go up if the pay is worth the risk because lets be real, if he goes up there are only 3 people he'd be fighting: Cody, Cruz, or TJ. And none of those are easy fights.

Agreed. Dj should only go up if the pay is worth the risk because lets be real, if he goes up there are only 3 people he'd be fighting: Cody, Cruz, or TJ. And none of those are easy fights.
Very difficult. Curious to see who emerges champion out of Garbrandt/Dillashaw vs. Cruz/Rivera. If the title keeps getting passed around a super fight is not quite as interesting as if a champion grounds himself as the divisions best.

Very difficult. Curious to see who emerges champion out of Garbrandt/Dillashaw vs. Cruz/Rivera. If the title keeps getting passed around a super fight is not quite as interesting as if a champion grounds himself as the divisions best.
Agreed but if Cody wins he has expressed that DJ is his ideal opponent. TJ would probably want round 2 with Dom if he wins. All Dom and Rivera care about is the belt.

I'd like to see BW keep growing but nowadays super fights seem to be the standard. We shall see.

DJ's given pretty consistent answers leading up to 215 + 216. He has no intension of moving up. His plan is to extend his title defence record so that no one can break it. Yes a big money offer can change his mind, but until that presents itself it's not worth thinking about.

Reason I say that is because Rogan (as well as Dana now) probably knows it makes no sense to keep pressing the subject when he's already stated his position. All you're going to get is a "no", so if anything they should be asking him about the upcoming Cejudo vs. Pettis bout and try to promote that.

I would like to see another bout with Cejudo now that you mention it and Pettis but after that move up or don't ever expect a great payday, nobody is going to break DJs record anytime soon, who's the closest? Stipe? Woodley? they aren't gonna get near it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Cruz now. I know Cruz is always battling his injuries and it's been a long time since 2011. In my eyes, Cruz is 2-2 in that time and DJ has just kept getting better and better. Cody and TJ are both really interesting matchups (not to say Cruz isn't, too). Assuncao might be a boring but good fight. Linecker is too one dimensional to beat DJ IMO.

I would like to see another bout with Cejudo now that you mention it and Pettis but after that move up or don't ever expect a great payday, nobody is going to break DJs record anytime soon, who's the closest? Stipe? Woodley? they aren't gonna get near it.

Those who say DJ shouldn't ever expect a great pay day for fighting at 125 probably didn't expect him to be making what he is now.

DJ now has solid leverage. As of 216 he's being promoted by UFC not just as P4P #1, but also the greatest fighter of all time. That along with his amazing armbar finish, along with recognition starting to come from ESPN and what not, means his star is growing and he should indeed expect great paydays rather soon.

Lol at people thinking he can take TJ, Cody, Cruz and Rivera. There's a reason he went from 135 to 125.

Those who say DJ shouldn't ever expect a great pay day for fighting at 125 probably didn't expect him to be making what he is now.

DJ now has solid leverage. As of 216 he's being promoted by UFC not just as P4P #1, but also the greatest fighter of all time. That along with his amazing armbar finish, along with recognition starting to come from ESPN and what not, means his star is growing and he should indeed expect great paydays rather soon.

Yeah well until he can start getting PPV and gate numbers while headlining cards on his own then he shouldn't expect a big pay day.

He certainly beats 5-10.

Beats Assuncao and Rivera but takes a little bit more damage then usual.

Cruz, TJ, and Cody could go either way. I can see him winning or losing any of those. He would more then likely lose the first or second and start to come on strong in 3,4,and 5. He would need to put on a little size.

<Varys01>

oh...but we do know.

10_cruz_vs_johnson_023.jpg
You should watch and compare Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard I vs how II and III went

At this point? I don't know who would win but I'd be quite confident DJ has a much better chance now. I think Cruz has lost a step and DJ wasn't even a full-time fighter at that point. He has really come into his own since. He still shows us more every fight. That guy's right -- we don't know who wins that fight. I hope it happens.

If he lost at 135, particularly to one of the bigger ones like Garbrandt, it really wouldn't mean very much.

We've been aware he's too small for that division since 2011.

Back