Demetrious Johnson VS The current top ten in 135 division THREAD updated/Poll closed results on OP

Which guys do you think DJ would defeat right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought this knee was neat. Nice technique.

giphy.gif

May sound strange but being small, and especially with speed, can also be an advantage in certain scenarios. He can sneak in and cause damage at the least expected times and fit through into spaces nobody else can, maneuver around efficiently and promptly IF you know what you're doing (Like MM of course).

Anyways poll is close, the official results are in. From most likely to defeat, to least likely to defeat, here is the community's opinion on how MM would do at 135

The fighter that MM would be MOST likely to defeat, is:

John Dodson
John_Dodson.jpg

With the previous 2 meetings with MM already in the books, both as defeats, it's easy to see why most everybody gave John a checked box here. Sorry John, but you just don't have a chance in our eyes. A whooping 84.8% of voters agree.

Followed by (reminder: most likely to defeat to least likely to defeat)

2. Marlon Moraes
3. John Lineker
4. Thomas Almeida
5. Renan Barao
6. Aljamain Sterling
7. Raphael Assuncao
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. T.J. Dillashaw

For the fighter LEAST likely for MM to defeat we have a tie! The two giants of BW themselves:

(c) Cody Garbrandt - Dominick Cruz
960.jpg

Well, there are some names with a considerably amount of stock attached to them. It's easy to see why most people voted for the champion of the division, champ vs champ would of course normally be the hardest matchup.. but Dominick Cruz, the # 1 ranked fighter in the BW division has also been voted as just as unlikely for MM to defeat.

Why - well, he WAS not so long ago the reigning BW champ of the world. In fact MM had a title fight with him at BW - which didn't turn out so well for current #1 P4P fighter Johnson. Many people point out the size difference - when you get two guys that are just so incredibly gifted and good at what they so, size may be the deciding factor when all other skills are matched evenly. However some also believe that MM COULD win a rematch, unfortunately the general consensuses does not agree. Perhaps we will one day in the future see them meet again, or even more intriguing, a matchup between Garbrandt and Johnson.

Select which fighters you believe DJ could defeat right now at BW 135lbs

Seeing as he has cleaned out his division already, and almost done it twice, the next logical step to proving his GOAT status would to be fight the guys the weight class just above his. Particularly people may be pushing for the TJ fight now that the Borg fight is over and done with and his record is solidified.

I think there are many intriguing match ups here. If DJ fights these guys, it will be much more interesting and will generate a hell of lot more PPV buys. Just think about how epic a champ vs champ fight would be between DJ and Cody?? Doubt that will happen though but a girl can dream..

OCT FRIDAY THE 13th(OOOOOOoooooo) EDIT

Anyways poll is close, the official results are in. From most likely to defeat, to least likely to defeat, here is the community's opinion on how MM would do at 135

The fighter that MM would be MOST likely to defeat, is:

John Dodson
John_Dodson.jpg

With the previous 2 meetings with MM already in the books, both as defeats, it's easy to see why most everybody gave John a checked box here. Sorry John, but you just don't have a chance in our eyes. A whooping 84.8% of voters agree.

Followed by (reminder: most likely to defeat to least likely to defeat)

2. Marlon Moraes
3. John Lineker
4. Thomas Almeida
5. Renan Barao
6. Aljamain Sterling
7. Raphael Assuncao
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. T.J. Dillashaw

For the fighter LEAST likely for MM to defeat we have a tie! The two giants of BW themselves:

(c) Cody Garbrandt - Dominick Cruz
960.jpg

Well, there are some names with a considerably amount of stock attached to them. It's easy to see why most people voted for the champion of the division, champ vs champ would of course normally be the hardest matchup.. but Dominick Cruz, the # 1 ranked fighter in the BW division has also been voted as just as unlikely for MM to defeat.

Why - well, he WAS not so long ago the reigning BW champ of the world. In fact MM had a title fight with him at BW - which didn't turn out so well for current #1 P4P fighter Johnson. Many people point out the size difference - when you get two guys that are just so incredibly gifted and good at what they so, size may be the deciding factor when all other skills are matched evenly. However some also believe that MM COULD win a rematch, unfortunately the general consensuses does not agree. Perhaps we will one day in the future see them meet again, or even more intriguing, a matchup between Garbrandt and Johnson.

I think he beats most of them. Dollars has and Cruz fights are close, but I think I give the edge to DJ. I think Cody fight is more one sided in Codys favor.

id put him at the top of the division with tj as his most difficult to beat based on style.....

MM is faster than cody and cruz, who rely too heavily on speed advantages that they wouldnt have against MM....

on the feet i think MM makes cruz and cody look bad.....

tj on the otherhand is used to gameplanning and fighting against faster opponents....he will have a size and wrestling advantage which he uses well....i felt tj beat cruz.....

if MM moves up.....he beats cody and cruz....he has close fights that he barely wins against tj.....

tj and MM trilogy.2018-2019

Last edited:
He beats everyone with the MAYBE the exception of CoGar.

I don't understand how people think TJ would beat him lol. TJ would do fookin notin against the mighty one.

I also believe he surpassed Cruz
he is faster than cody and cruz....who arent used to fighting with a speed disadvantage.....tj is clearly the toughest fight of the three for him....

dont get me wrong....i have him as a favorite to beat tj, but not as easily as he would beat cruz and cody....

TJ can apparently cut to flyweight, I don't think he is big enough to grapplefuck him. I think Cruz still wins via wrestling. Probably Cody too. He beats everyone else.
there is no evidence tj could cut to flw....he hasnt cut that low since his sophmore year of college and he has gotten much bigger since then....he only cut to 132 in his junior and senior year......and he is even bigger than that now.....

at that low of weight, cutting another 10 lbs means chopping off an arm....its a higher percentage of total body weight than making the drop in any other division.......

Some DJ fans are just ridiculous when they're defending their overrated champ.
there is no evidence tj could cut to flw....he hasnt cut that low since his sophmore year of college and he has gotten much bigger since then....he only cut to 132 in his junior and senior year......and he is even bigger than that now.....

at that low of weight, cutting another 10 lbs means chopping off an arm....its a higher percentage of total body weight than making the drop in any other division.......
He said that. It's evidence enough. If a guy who never missed weight and always was professional said he can do it, why shouldn't we believe in him? There's guys bigger making that weight.

He said he could and was going to take the fight. Thats evidence enough for me until proven otherwise.

Anyway, the point is if he can cut to flyweight, I doubt he has enough of a size advantage to grapplefuck DJ. Because I definitely see DJ outstriking him.

Some DJ fans are just ridiculous when they're defending their overrated champ.

He said that. It's evidence enough. If a guy who never missed weight and always was professional said he can do it, why shouldn't we believe in him? There's guys bigger making that weight.

The UFC didn't even think tj could make the weight....MM said he would take the fight if he was given a financial incentive up front IF tj missed weight.....the ufc refused....apparently they are less confident than you are.....

He said he could and was going to take the fight. Thats evidence enough for me until proven otherwise.

Anyway, the point is if he can cut to flyweight, I doubt he has enough of a size advantage to grapplefuck DJ. Because I definitely see DJ outstriking him.

rumble said he could cut to ww....that doesnt make it a good idea to plan a championship match around it....

the only difference here is that rumble has actually cut to 170 as an adult....

Garbrandt and Rivera are the only two that would have a chance

He beats Cruz these days. DJ has gotten 10x better since that fight while Dom has had about 10 surgeries since then

As for TJ, hes fought two guys in his career who could match his speed and movement and lost to both. MM easily beats him

Ok so, let's see if DJ fights him after MSG.

The UFC didn't even think tj could make the weight....MM said he would take the fight if he was given a financial incentive up front IF tj missed weight.....the ufc refused....apparently they are less confident than you are.....
Stupid comment. Dana White offered DJ the fight at 125, how the fuck UFC didn't think he (TJ) could make the weight?

The UFC didn't refuse anything, DW got angry with DJ comments and gave him what he wanted: fucking Ray Borg.

What does it matter? He's never going to move up to Bantamweight anyways.

Stupid comment. Dana White offered DJ the fight at 125, how the fuck UFC didn't think he (TJ) could make the weight?

The UFC didn't refuse anything, DW got angry with DJ comments and gave him what he wanted: fucking Ray Borg.

BS.....the incentive MM finally settled on was an extra payment if and only if TJ missed weight.....OR for TJ to take just 1 fight.....anyone really.....just to show he could make the weight.....

TJ declined to prove he could make weight.....the UFC denied the guarantee....

its actually kinda good this way....if TJ moved down and won....he clearly had no intention of defending....

its better that flw championship fights are scheduled between flws who are ready and able to defend....

now when we see MM vs TJ, it will be at a weight that TJ has proven he is physically capable of making without risking the integrity of an entire division....

Fuck the integrity of FLW, this division is weak as fuck and nobody gives a shit.

What does it matter? He's never going to move up to Bantamweight anyways.
i think he possibly moves back and forth over the next few years until retirement....

he just wanted to get the record out of the way....he can move up to bw for money fights and continue growing his consecutive defense record even if he loses.....

if the ufc is willing to pay him to take a fight at BW, he'll do it.....its going to happen.....

DJ is the longest reigning champ in ufc history.....espn fighter of the year.....and he now has professional management.....he is going to get enough in his next contract that he will move up if the ufc asks him to.....

rumble said he could cut to ww....that doesnt make it a good idea to plan a championship match around it....

the only difference here is that rumble has actually cut to 170 as an adult....

Rumble did cut to 170. Many times. Not sure what the purpose of this post is. We have no reason to doubt TJ and he isn't large for his division. It's not out of reason he could cut 10 more lbs. Also there's no incentive for him to lie about it. It's just weird for you to not take him at his word for no reason.

i think he possibly moves back and forth over the next few years until retirement....

he just wanted to get the record out of the way....he can move up to bw for money fights and continue growing his consecutive defense record even if he loses.....

if the ufc is willing to pay him to take a fight at BW, he'll do it.....its going to happen.....

DJ is the longest reigning champ in ufc history.....espn fighter of the year.....and he now has professional management.....he is going to get enough in his next contract that he will move up if the ufc asks him to.....

I found it very interesting that after defeating Borg, Joe Rogan didn't ask him about a move to 135.

I found it very interesting that after defeating Borg, Joe Rogan didn't ask him about a move to 135.
DJ's given pretty consistent answers leading up to 215 + 216. He has no intension of moving up. His plan is to extend his title defence record so that no one can break it. Yes a big money offer can change his mind, but until that presents itself it's not worth thinking about.

Reason I say that is because Rogan (as well as Dana now) probably knows it makes no sense to keep pressing the subject when he's already stated his position. All you're going to get is a "no", so if anything they should be asking him about the upcoming Cejudo vs. Pettis bout and try to promote that.

DJ's given pretty consistent answers leading up to 215 + 216. He has no intension of moving up. His plan is to extend his title defence record so that no one can break it. Yes a big money offer can change his mind, but until that presents itself it's not worth thinking about.

Reason I say that is because Rogan (as well as Dana now) probably knows it makes no sense to keep pressing the subject when he's already stated his position. All you're going to get is a "no", so if anything they should be asking him about the upcoming Cejudo vs. Pettis bout and try to promote that.
He says he's would but he'd need to be paid more. That's been his answer not that he's not interested. He comments on it on the MMA hour after 216.

id put him at the top of the division with tj as his most difficult to beat based on style.....

MM is faster than cody and cruz, who rely too heavily on speed advantages that they wouldnt have against MM....

on the feet i think MM makes cruz and cody look bad.....

tj on the otherhand is used to gameplanning and fighting against faster opponents....he will have a size and wrestling advantage which he uses well....i felt tj beat cruz.....

if MM moves up.....he beats cody and cruz....he has close fights that he barely wins against tj.....

tj and MM trilogy.2018-2019

Both Garbrandt and Cruz are arguably better wrestlers than Dillashaw. Cruz got the better of the wrestling exchanges against Dillashaw (not by some massive amount, but Cruz certainly didn't get the worst of them) and Garbrandt arguably got the better of them against Cruz. Garbrandt also handled Cruz on the feet far easier than Dillashaw did.

For me, the only one who should be viewed as a clear favourite over Johnson is Garbrandt, and that's mostly due to the fact that he's a far more sound boxer than both Cruz and Dillashaw, and he has the timing, counter-punching ability, and power to make Johnson pay for certain things that his speed usually allow him to get away with.

Back