delete

That's the sad thing about combat sports: The fans would be saying Ali was a bum because he lost to Berbick.

Ali had like one really bad loss (Berbick when he was already showing signs of Parkinson's) then never fought again.

Gomi has had a 7 year, 12 fight underwhelming (grossly) UFC run.

Ali had like one really bad loss (Berbick when he was already showing signs of Parkinson's) then never fought again.

Gomi has had a 7 year, 12 fight underwhelming (grossly) UFC run.
Still, the larger point: context is lost on combat sports fan. Gomi was a killer once. Fedor was a killer, but lost to Werdum and then is a can. Tyson lost to Douglas and then was 'never that good/tested' tho people dont get his mental problems at that time and life style change......the list goes on forever.

If Floyd gets miraculously KO'd by Conor, he will then "not be that good", same with Conor losing to Floyd. People just like to discredit combat athletes and Gomi was an all time great, tho his game had not the longevity of an Ali.

I love the Fireball Kid but man looking back on his best win...

Pulver?
Sakurai?
Ludwig?
What are you trying to say? You know he was ranked no 1 p4p by a lot of mma magazines for a while?

On topic, Mach, Kawajiri, and Griffin. Lot of solid wins in younger days, but those are the top 3 IMO. Aurelio rematch was a good one.

Gomi in Pride was great but seriously it's time for him to hang up his gloves or step down in competition so he can get a few W's on his record before retiring.

My favorite Gomi fight is still Azerdo as he was going after Wanderlei and them too and looked ready to go to war by himself against Chute Boxxe.

Bushido 7 was the bomb. Az was taking it to him pace wise and the the 1 2 from hell on the chin... Think Chute Box were pissed Gomi had to be dragged of him.

Last edited:
Gomi the Green Mop needs to retire now imo his style doesn't work in the UFC very well.

Sakurai was a nice name on his win list,but its clear that Sakurai came into that fight being held together by popsicle sticks and bubble gum. I dunno. I liked fights he was pushed in,like the Azeredo fight. He seemed just too big strong and too powerful for guys like Pulver and Kawajiri,but Azeredo really took it too him and hurt him. The Krazyhorse stoppage was stupid. They fucked him over just like they fucked over Royler in the Saku fight.

Agreed TS, def one of the bigger hype jobs in this sport's history. Him, miguel torres and might mouse: 3 guys you could never convince me are as good as their nuthuggers say, top dogs in shallow undeveloped divisions.

Sakurai because that's when he won the pride belt and tournament.

He was always overrated. Not hating on him but he was always overrated.

look at some of the guys that he lost too as well before he got to the ufc.... and then in his highly anticipated ufc debut Kenny Florian easily beat him
This thread is about his best wins.

The best at the Time, better than anyone not named BJ Penn

-notable wins (good fighters and prospects AT THE TIME): Pulver, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Ishida, Ralph Gracie, 4-0 against Chute Boxe LWs
-win streak: 10
-won Pride2005 GP via Kawajir i> Azeredo > Sakurai
-other top LWs circa 2004-2005 that would have put Gomi's top status into question: none because:
*BJ left LW and started fighting WW and openweight after beating Gomi during 2004-2005
*Sean Sherk did not debut at LW until 2006
*Florian didn't take off until 2007
*Stevenson (if we need to mention him in the same sentence as a GOAT Gomi) did not start his short streak until 2006
*Cerrone and Benson are notable LWs but did not even EXIST in mma until 2006
*Melendez was still young in his career 2004-2005

the UFC LW div did not even exist during Gomi's run, Gomi fought former UFC and Shoot champions during his run so it's hard to question his legacy and wins but apparently it still gets questioned

-notable wins (good fighters and prospects AT THE TIME): Pulver, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Ishida, Ralph Gracie, 4-0 against Chute Boxe LWs
-win streak: 10
-won Pride2005 GP via Kawajir i> Azeredo > Sakurai
-other top LWs circa 2004-2005 that would have put Gomi's top status into question: none because:
*BJ left LW and started fighting WW and openweight after beating Gomi during 2004-2005
*Sean Sherk did not debut at LW until 2006
*Florian didn't take off until 2007
*Stevenson (if we need to mention him in the same sentence as a GOAT Gomi) did not start his short streak until 2006
*Cerrone and Benson are notable LWs but did not even EXIST in mma until 2006
*Melendez was still young in his career 2004-2005

the UFC LW div did not even exist during Gomi's run, Gomi fought former UFC and Shoot champions during his run so it's hard to question his legacy and wins but apparently it still gets questioned

f7FdEdG.jpg

Back