Dela Hoya to continue Golden Boy MMA

I heard Tank Abbott just came out of the hospital and can barely walk... good be a good fit for GB Promotions

Ask De la Hoya, he's the one that has 50 fighters calling him and DAZN on lock because PPV is dying. Or is that just bullshit and we should give the benefit of the doubt until they have more shows done?

Their first show was a dumpster fire and now this asshat is claiming hes going to steal fighters from the UFC and beat the PPV model. I'll call him on his bullshit when it so obviously smells.

I see you're new to the fight game. No one builds a business in combat sports without hyperbole. As fans we should welcome more promoters that think they have better solutions to problems in the sport, competition will bring the best out of everybody.

A lot of people think PPV is on it's way out, so maybe Oscar is on to something.

oh, they do? golden boy should either get a TV deal or a streaming deal, because PPV sucks. it definitely tanked and it is NOT a good idea unless you have a HUGE star. and they don't, only the ufc can throw PPVs and they are still tanking
Im speculating they could get a deal with DAZN considering they just signed Canelo Alvarez with them with a huge contract, getting Golden Boy MMA can help them expand their offer and it would help Oscar a lot if he is actually planning on following up with MMA, i think they already have some Bellator fights too.

How many organizations have tried and failed to go up against the UFC?
Pride
EliteXC
Strikeforce
Affliction
WEC

What exactly does Golden boy bring to the table that Bellator doesnt already have?

PRIDE and strikeforce got bought out. That is not a failure lmfao. Half of strikeforce became UFC champs

Maybe he can rematch Gracie-Shamrock 3! Keith Hackney-Emanual Yaraborough 2!!! As long as they are still alive, match up is possible for Oscar!

And I really hope that he is serious, and make something of it. These fighters need someplace else to go. Bellator Has made some headway. But they still need more options.

people talk shit about the promotion, but aside chuck fighting (which he really should have not, but still he got CLEARED by the commission, so there's that), they are paying a BIGGER revenue percentage than the ufc, so you guys can't really talk about the pay. if anything, you guys should praise him
Awesome they can pay 100% of revenue if they want. When you revenue is 3 bucks that is a shit payment no matter how you look at it.

Well as long as he pays fighters and takes care of them and starts making interesting and viable fights - also allowing outside sponsors instead of ReeShit - I'd be okay with it.

But it's oscar and as a promoter he is no better than King or White - just a regular scumbag.

Understandable since their event was such a success.

ortiz / liddell 4. they battle for the social security checks.

someone see if ken shamrock is available.

The more, the merrier. Fighters need the options.

I love it. Anything that makes Dana´s head redder than red is good stuff.

The more, the merrier. Fighters need the options.
Exactly. Obviously promoter is in it for the money. But you can't expect Golden Boy to start out and pay every fighter $2M to show. They have to start small and leverage themselves using whatever big names they can get.
Fans constantly whine about Dana and the UFC screwing fighters over, and whenever a new option comes up they start shitting on it.

There is no real downside to Golden Boy having MMA events where fighters are only on 1 fight deals.

Don't you all worry it'll fail and it'll fail hard. Elite XC also had a couple of events, and Affliction did too, they even had Fedor

, they are paying a BIGGER revenue percentage than the ufc, so you guys can't really talk about the pay. if anything, you guys should praise him

Can't really brag about revenue based pay when there's fuck all for revenue. Chuck and Tito made more money for their fight in 2006 then they did for this fight.

And I doubt you see Oscar hand out another fight contract like the Tito/Chuck one, there's no way he can develop the promotion when he's giving away whatever meager revenue he's bringing in. Even if he got 100%, that still would've been a money loser for Golden Boy MMA.

Exactly. Obviously promoter is in it for the money. But you can't expect Golden Boy to start out and pay every fighter $2M to show. They have to start small and leverage themselves using whatever big names they can get.
Fans constantly whine about Dana and the UFC screwing fighters over, and whenever a new option comes up they start shitting on it.
If you mean the Chuck vs Tito fight, hey, we've seen worse from the UFC anyway. I never saw the ending of BJ vs Rodriguez. That thing was cruel.

I don't really expect de la Hoya to succeed, but I welcome more competition.

Back