Del. Nick Freitas' guns speech goes viral.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by BearGrounds, Mar 7, 2018.

1. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

Well, the Bill of Rights completely disagrees with you in no uncertain terms. That being said I personally believe it's every citizens duty to learn how to safely and effectively operate a firearm.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  2. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

You could interpret the second amendment to mean you cannot pass any legislation regarding guns at all, in which case we have already undermined the second amendment with all of the current laws.

The second amendment does not give a legal age to purchase a firearm, so do you believe that children should be allowed to purchase a firearm? It also does not say that a felon should not be able to purchase a firearm, so do you believe that criminals should be able to purchase guns? What about a known terrorist?

3. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

Personally I feel like the 2nd amendment is there to protect the people from the government, but also from each other. As for "criminals" what is the actual law there? Is it all felony offenders or just certain offenders? Personally I don't feel like a guy who gets busted for a DUI or a small possession charge should forever lose their right to self defense. As for children I'm not sure... I shot guns when I was a kid and I know many people who do.

I see where you're going and personally I don't feel like quality firearms training is a bad idea. I do, however, have an issue with having mandated training and a test because you're now placing a tax on a constitutional right. Just like people shit their pants at having to have an ID for voting (even if the state provides one for free) a training course and test would be a tax on your right to own a firearm.

Teppodama and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  4. bufetadanacara

bufetadanacara Black Belt

How is that not true?

I could see that. Families used to stay together more before the welfare followed as it does today.

If the woman doesn't need a man in the house to help support her and her children, then she isn't encouraged to keep her man.

5. spamking

spamking Proud Okie/Type 01 FFL Dealer

I think depending on the gun free zone that anyone caught carrying (concealed or otherwise) could be charged with a crime or fined. So many won't carry. I understand that there are those who do and I'm actually okay with that as long as it's concealed and they're licensed to carry.

I think it's hard to find anyone on either side who won't pander . . . but in some cases that's expected. I just want facts involved when folks discuss whatever they're talking about. I just want folks to drop the hyperbole and move on.

nac386 likes this.
  6. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Steel Belt

Right on. Seems to be a cultural thing in general. Not liking to be told what to do is what I consider to be a positive trait. My take on history is that a lot of folks came to America in search of a more self-determined lifestyle.

Ok. Sorry you couldn't find any common ground in there.

He's claiming to cite a Brookings study. Plus it's one small piece taken out of context. Might he been better served to leave it out? Sure. Am I going to disregard everything else because I'm triggered? Nope. I'm pro-choice and consider the matter settled (barring an Amendment). It's pretty easy to not give a shit that it's in there.

I also think it serves his overall message by suggesting there's evidence that something the other side backs could be one of many factors. Instead of scoffing and ranting, the reaction by the gun-grabbers should be to open their minds to dialogue. It's obvious the problem is cultural if it's only recently a problem. Guns sure aren't new on the scene. So whatever changed should be looked at. At least in intelligent discussion anyway.

If you're bored and want to debunk his Brookings study claim I'm sure many here (including myself) would love to see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Presuming this is the root of the term, it's as good a definition as any.

Fuck that if it's tax dollars. Thumbs up for charity work.

You might right. Only two things I'd throw out there is that not all carry is concealed and people who lawfully carry on the regular are probably more inclined to follow the rules than average Joe.

Common-sensers cry for more education but then don't want to provide for it by making firearm use and safety part of the P.E. curriculum in high school. Seems more like they want to errect roadblocks than ensure safety. They sure as fuck don't want to enable people's familiarity and confidence around guns.

I had to take swimming class and I don't swim. It was called drownproofing. I guess just in case I somehow wound up in water. Seems like similar reasoning would apply. We should all know what safe behavior is, even if we're not the one holding the firearm. Cause you might just end up around one even when you don't intend to.

That's the correct interpreatation. Gun laws were meant to exist at the state and local level. Not the federal level. All federal legislation is a clear violation, so yes, we've allowed our fundamental rights to be severely undermined.

7. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

Fantastic! I'm glad you recognize part of the problem.

Now the more important question is to ask why there are gangs in cities like Chicago.

The weak-minded looking for an easy answer will try to reduce this complex problem down to a single word like "poverty". Poverty is clearly not the reason gangs exist. The poorest areas in the United States are in rural South Dakota, yet you will find virtually zero gang activity, or gang violence.

Again, this is just refusing to acknowledge the reasons why cities like Chicago are a black-hole magnet for crime guns. This is nothing more than people in these large cities blaming others for the desires of their own citizens.

Don't cast stones in glass houses.

8. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

Why do you believe gun laws were meant to exist at the state and local level? The Constitution says that the right cannot be infringed on, wouldn't that include the state and local level? States do not have the right to strip you of your Constitutional right, that is why the Constitution exists in the first place.

9. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Three Tailed Pasha

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    Yeah this guy is a fucking clown and should soon be forgotten. He's right that gun control might not correlate as strongly with lower violent crime globally but guess what does? Low wealth inequality and based off his welfare state remarks he'd probably support pro-inequality policies that would only generate more violence.

Anyone who thinks gutting the welfare state and reducing access to abortions is the answer to school shootings is a fucking partisan hack that shouldn't be taken seriously.

ultramanhyata likes this.
  10. Post Mortem

Post Mortem Flattening of Emotions. Platinum Member

I think i found this in the you laugh, you lose. I forget who to give the credit to, sorry.
    [​IMG]

11. Satanical Eve

Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg Platinum Member

Whenever I think of "Good guy with a gun" I always think of the donut shop scene in Boogie Nights.

12. Cubo de Sangre

The Constitution created a relationship between the states via a federal government. This federal level had limited scope and responsibility. The Bill of Rights was a list of things the feds were expressly forbidden from doing or commanded to do. Those restrictions being applied to states came later, after the Civil War, with an interpretation of the 14th Amendment (that I personally don't understand or agree with). The 2nd was never meant to restrict state and local governments. Just the feds. That's why it was so simple and absolute.

13. Cid

Cid Silver Belt

How is it taken out of context?

He says these people come from broken families and then attributes abortion as a contributing factor to broken families.

That was the context.

I don't really need to break down the study do I? A family that has two kids decides to abort the third for whatever reason. The decision is regretted by a party and that results in a break up. Got any other ways abortion results in broken families?

Now weigh that up just against the amount of families that you think never existed because of it, which have a 100% success rate of not breaking up.

It doesn't need an analysis for both of us to know that even if he is right and abortion is a factor in broken homes it's an incredibly negligible one. In gun deaths even more so.

All he's doing is partisan finger pointing... welfare, abortion, kinda got bored after that.

Honestly it's hard for me to really give a shit about the issue.

14. Cubo de Sangre

I doubt abortion has anything to do with it. He probably should have left it out. I'm not gonna throw out the rest of the message because of it though. Different perspectives.

15. Cid

Cid Silver Belt

My perspective is that I file all my american gun knowledge into the delete folder of my memory and could still do better.

Granted I only got three paragraphs in.

16. Trotsky

Trotsky Social Capitalist / Capitalistic Communist

[​IMG]

17. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Black Belt

Can someone just type some Cliffs of his speech?