DeGale: I Spoke To Al Haymon, He Said David Benavidez Next!

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Benavidez will first have to overcome a planned rematch with Ronald Gavril. The Mexican slugger got off the floor to win a very close twelve round decision over Gavril for the vacant WBC title earlier this year, and now a rematch is in the works.

“[WBC Champion] David Benavidez next year is the plan. I spoke to Al Haymon and asked if he could make that fight. He said ‘James, that is the plan.’ As soon as I’ve dealt with Truax the first stop in 2018 is Benavidez."

“I give Al Haymon thanks, he treats me extremely well. He delivers everything he says and he pays me extremely well. I’m lucky enough that I can speak to him regularly, whenever I want to call him I can call him. He’s done a lot for me.”
http://www.boxingscene.com/degale-i-spoke-al-haymon-he-said-david-benavidez-next--122936

DeGale never really impressed me all that much, I think he's fringe a name still and that he's a vulnerable name at that. If Benavidez handles business again against Gavril and DeGale cleans up with Truax, I think it's a great step up fight for young Benavidez

Benavidez looked more vulnerable against Gavril than I would have thought. Still, it could be that Gavril is just a fair bit better than he got credit for. Benavidez still clearly does have rare physical abilities and even if he's still a tad raw, he's a lot more developed than most fighters his age of any pedigree. If DeGale/Benavidez does fall into place, I think Benavidez will beat him (at least partially because I think DeGale is a ways from being anything special, but also because I think Benavidez is the goods).

Based on benavidez last fight I’d pick de gale. I actually think he’s under rated, but he doesn’t help himself by taking the middle rounds off in every fight.

I'm gonna back DeGale on this one. I think he's got a few tricks up his sleaves that Benavidez won't see coming. Won't be easy though.

Do they not even try to hide the fact that Haymon is managing and promoting these guys at this point? He says he's just an adviser, but that's clearly not the case.

A 20 year old with little to no ammy experience going against a defending world champion and former olimpic gold medalist... yeah.. this is easier than guessing the lotto numbers thats for sure..

Benavidez looked more vulnerable against Gavril than I would have thought. Still, it could be that Gavril is just a fair bit better than he got credit for. Benavidez still clearly does have rare physical abilities and even if he's still a tad raw, he's a lot more developed than most fighters his age of any pedigree. If DeGale/Benavidez does fall into place, I think Benavidez will beat him (at least partially because I think DeGale is a ways from being anything special, but also because I think Benavidez is the goods).

I know your a fan of benivedez and he has massive potential. He’s already a very good fighter but I think this fight may be a little too soon if it’s next year?? Either way it’s another unification and a great fight

I know your a fan of benivedez and he has massive potential. He’s already a very good fighter but I think this fight may be a little too soon if it’s next year?? Either way it’s another unification and a great fight

Nah, DeGale went life and death with Medina and Benavidez destroyed Medina. At this point there is no reason to hold Benavidez back against a guy who fights in spurts like DeGale. Benavidez is as good as any prospect in the sport, I think.

Do they not even try to hide the fact that Haymon is managing and promoting these guys at this point? He says he's just an adviser, but that's clearly not the case.

They hide it in the sense that Haymon doesn't actually promote and manage them at the same time in an official capacity (this has been tested in court, after all). Does he have a ton of influence on the promotion? In many cases, probably, but that's not against the rules of Ali Act. More than that, the Ali Act exists to protect the fighters, and it doesn't seem like too many fighters have come out strong against Haymon in any capacity. Do you think tons of promoters don't have undue influence over managers?

Do you have an issue with Benavidez/DeGale happening? I'm struggling to figure out how that could possibly be bad for boxing.

Nah, DeGale went life and death with Medina and Benavidez destroyed Medina. At this point there is no reason to hold Benavidez back against a guy who fights in spurts like DeGale. Benavidez is as good as any prospect in the sport, I think.

Well we’ll soon find out how good he really is.

They hide it in the sense that Haymon doesn't actually promote and manage them at the same time in an official capacity (this has been tested in court, after all). Does he have a ton of influence on the promotion? In many cases, probably, but that's not against the rules of Ali Act. More than that, the Ali Act exists to protect the fighters, and it doesn't seem like too many fighters have come out strong against Haymon in any capacity. Do you think tons of promoters don't have undue influence over managers?

Do you have an issue with Benavidez/DeGale happening? I'm struggling to figure out how that could possibly be bad for boxing.

He manages them indirectly. We get a call from Al after each one of Danny's fights. You better pick that call up too lol

You shouldn't struggle. There was no subtext about the Benavidez vs DeGale fight. You and I are probably looking forward to it with an equal sense of alacrity. He is just being a promoter without saying it, which seems disingenuous. He does seem - from the external perspective of many observers - to give the fighter's the illusion of autonomy, and for a lot of these guys who are only really masters in the ring, not in the office, it can give them an undue sense of well-being and self-assertion regarding their career. At the end of the day everyone likes seeing good fights happen (when they happen), but if a guy is saying "I don't promote" while nodding nodding his head "yes" up and down (with the power of veto including in every contract), then he should just drop the pretense and promote. That's the only issue, it's not personal, he's just perpetuating an illusion of independence; at least with a promoter the fighter knows he is chained.

Each to their own.

Back