Defense against Kata Guruma

VagabondMusashi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unless they grip the back of your calf or your gi, the opponent practically sets himself up for a crucifix. And even so they risk it. Yet is is done so much on tournaments. Thoughts?

i think if you do it quickly your opponent doesnt really have enough time to put the crucifix on. like if youre going for a single, he underhooks and you just dive into it quickly

but yeah i suck at takedowns so.. dont ask me

this is a speed technique called the firemans carry in wrestling. If your good at it your good at it. I have seen wrestlers hit this time and again and while it seems easy to defend it really is not agaisnt someone who has set you up and is quick enough to make it work. Beleive it or not the crucifix IS legal in amateur wrestling you just cant crank on it. But it can be used as a pin...

clip.gif

if you do a sloppy fireman's slow as hell, im sure you can hit with a crucifix pin. the key to a good firemans is being tight, compact, and quick. i always like to snatch them over me as i shoot, so i dont have to go far as much as just drop my elevation quickly and i'm to deep to counter.

if you want to defend it, you have to be as quick as your opponent and catch them with a sprawl, crossface (dont get your arm caught under his armpit like above), and turn the corner so you can get your hips down. put your hands on the back of his head as you turn and you can jam it into the mat and stop his momentum. from here you could attempt that crucifix if his arm is trapped in your legs.

you're basically defending a deep shot.

that is the tightest kata guruma i have seen in my life, damn.
I say this cause guys who do it slow usually get crucifixed. I sprawl and bent towards their back so they fall back with the crucifix locked

Fight_Song said:
If you want to defend it, you have to be as quick as your opponent and catch them with a sprawl...
you're basically defending a deep shot.

I'd start with this vagabond. Get your sprawl solid, and then move on to other counters down the road.

The best way to defend against it is to develop a good Harai Goshi and Uchi Mata when your opponent goes for the single.

VagabondMusashi said:
that is the tightest kata guruma i have seen in my life, damn.
I say this cause guys who do it slow usually get crucifixed. I sprawl and bent towards their back so they fall back with the crucifix locked
If you are allowed to neck crank try pulling them down towards their head and then using a belt grip to flip them over the top of you and onto their back. If you stay tight you can then continue turning to apply a side crucifix neck crank, its tricky but if done right is a rather nice submission.

Half Boston Crab said:
In Judo you just grab the pant leg and: no crucifix.

Or you just say "screw it" and cartwheel over the dude like Jimmy Pedro.

I hit one of these last night while we were doing shots for different takedowns. I just brought up in the middle of it how it was my favorite in tourneys to mix up with drop seio or other sacrifice throws. I suck at it, no gi, though.

SmashiusClay said:
If you are allowed to neck crank try pulling them down towards their head and then using a belt grip to flip them over the top of you and onto their back. If you stay tight you can then continue turning to apply a side crucifix neck crank, its tricky but if done right is a rather nice submission.

Even if you're not allowed to do neck cranks you can still hold the position (not cranking) and finish him with an arm lock. I get either a one-handed keylock or a figure four armbar.

Back