defence against the stack

as sooon as he tries to stack shift hips and turn ot the side more.

with gi reach arpund and grab his arm and use your frele eg and omaplata motion to sweep him

i am extremely flexible and pretty much stack proof..

I like going for armbars, triangles, omoplatas, sweeps..they all seem just as high percentage for me when i am stacked as when i'm not because I canpretty much "stand" up on my neck/shoulders, and use my legs effectively..
lately when they stand up I go for spider guard and try to work some sweeps...not so good at it yet but it works on the really new guys :p

riiggghhhttttt...clearly you must be right with all of your amazing credentials :rolleyes:

???

sorry, what are your credentials?

I am an instructor and I compete regularly... including yesterday, but it doesn't take an expert to tell you that stacking out of a triangle is a gotard move

riiggghhhttttt...clearly you must be right with all of your amazing credentials :rolleyes:

I have never seen stacking work to get out of a triangle, unless the dude has serious flexibility issues. Plus since he has your arm he can just sweep you over that shoulder and then you end up with him mounted on you with a triangle. Just seems like a bad escape to that position to me.

I have never seen stacking work to get out of a triangle, unless the dude has serious flexibility issues. Plus since he has your arm he can just sweep you over that shoulder and then you end up with him mounted on you with a triangle. Just seems like a bad escape to that position to me.

why give him the arm? u bring his knee to his nose effectively separating his legs. you ensure that elbows are in and safe. u stack over and then shift weight out until u effectively walk around his hips into side control.

It's not opinion dumbass, it's technique. Just drop it. stacking in the guard is for people who lack technique and wish to be armbarred, triangled, and omoplatta'd

yes...you're right. there is only one way to pass guard and only one way to triangle/arm bar/oma plata :rolleyes:

yes...you're right. there is only one way to pass guard and only one way to triangle/arm bar/oma plata :rolleyes:

Dude, with all due respect, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Dude, with all due respect, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

all i am saying is that it worked for me in the past. also, alot of respected schools teach it as a method of passing/avoiding triangle.

why give him the arm? u bring his knee to his nose effectively separating his legs. you ensure that elbows are in and safe. u stack over and then shift weight out until u effectively walk around his hips into side control.

You're describing an under-leg guard-pass... which is not what I believe this thread was about, but yes even the under-leg pass you described is vulnerable to counter-attacks.

all i am saying is that it worked for me in the past. also, alot of respected schools teach it as a method of passing/avoiding triangle.

I think you are probably mixing together the guard pass finish with the escape.

To escape a triangle, you posture up and break it. To escape an armbar, you stack.

However once you posture up and break the triangle, you have an excellent opportunity to finish a stacking pass on your opponent, smashing them down and passing. If you don't posture up and break the triangle first before smashing, however, you are just going to make the triangle tighter, aka "the Gracie gift." Most guys who like the triangle catch people making that mistake all the time. You gotta get your head up and your hips forward to get out first.

That's the difference -- for a triangle escape, head down and hips up = very bad, head up and hips down = very good. Since the triangle is my own biggest vulnerability (and one of my best subs), I have to practice this a lot and get the details correct.

I think you are probably mixing together the guard pass finish with the escape.

To escape a triangle, you posture up and break it. To escape an armbar, you stack.

However once you posture up and break the triangle, you have an excellent opportunity to finish a stacking pass on your opponent, smashing them down and passing. If you don't posture up and break the triangle first before smashing, however, you are just going to make the triangle tighter, aka "the Gracie gift." Most guys who like the triangle catch people making that mistake all the time. You gotta get your head up and your hips forward to get out first.

That's the difference -- for a triangle escape, head down and hips up = very bad, head up and hips down = very good. Since the triangle is my own biggest vulnerability, I have to practice this a lot and get the details correct.

i think you're talking about once the triangle is locked in. I am talking about not allowing that to happen. effectively, you extend the distance between ur opponents ankle and knee to disallow him from getting the triangle.

i think you're talking about once the triangle is locked in. I am talking about not allowing that to happen. effectively, you extend the distance between ur opponents ankle and knee to disallow him from getting the triangle.

Even then, he is a million times better off than if you were postured up. If he can break your grip and pull your arm in, you're done for. But if you are postured with your head up and your hips forward, he has basically zero chance to triangle you no matter where your arm is.

Someone quote one of ooitzoo's posts and then put that cute little gnub alert graphic. That'd tickle me to death.

Helicopter sweep to armbar.

I know exactly what sweep you are talking about, but I call it a "flower" sweep, due to its resemblance to a blooming flower.

Another question, what is the difference between a "wind" choke and a "blood" choke?

I know exactly what sweep you are talking about, but I call it a "flower" sweep, due to its resemblance to a blooming flower.

Another question, what is the difference between a "wind" choke and a "blood" choke?

blood choke = cut off blood to brain.

wind choke = cut off wind pipe

Back