Defence Against Low Kicks with Daniel Sam

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
As you guys probably know, I'm now working full time at my own MMA gym. We've had some big changes, a new location, a refurbished website that we're wanting to be a hub for knowledge in the same way that Evolve MMA is - and a new head striking coach, Daniel Sam, the number 1 ranked heavyweight in the UK.

One of our regular features is the technique of the week, here's our first one:

_________

Daniel Sam’s first Muay Thai class at Diesel gave everyone a hell of a workout, and plenty of technical knowledge.

The technique of the day was low kicks.

Make 'Em Miss

In this drill we alternate between three methods of defending. The three methods are as follows: bracing the kick, allowing it to ride up the leg, a check and a cross check. Training these three methods on a cycle programs a fighter to alternate between defences on reflex, rather than constantly having to stop and think about what sort of defence they want to use.

However all three of these methods still involve the kick making contact with you. While physically blocking is an important method of defence, it can still hurt and we don’t recommend trying to block every strike, as it will eventually wear you down.

Diesel Owner, Cliff, was once told by his own teacher that going shin to shin all the time, is a lot like a water fight, at the end of the day, you’ll both get wet. Choosing to constantly trade shins in a war of attrition is just asking for a limp.

Thankfully, there are alternatives to constant checking:

Full article here:
https://www.dieselgym.co.uk/how-to-defend-low-kicks-diesel-technique-of-the-week/

As you guys probably know, I'm now working full time at my own MMA gym. We've had some big changes, a new location, a refurbished website that we're wanting to be a hub for knowledge in the same way that Evolve MMA is - and a new head striking coach, Daniel Sam, the number 1 ranked heavyweight in the UK.

One of our regular features is the technique of the week, here's our first one:

_________

Daniel Sam’s first Muay Thai class at Diesel gave everyone a hell of a workout, and plenty of technical knowledge.

The technique of the day was low kicks.

Make 'Em Miss

In this drill we alternate between three methods of defending. The three methods are as follows: bracing the kick, allowing it to ride up the leg, a check and a cross check. Training these three methods on a cycle programs a fighter to alternate between defences on reflex, rather than constantly having to stop and think about what sort of defence they want to use.

However all three of these methods still involve the kick making contact with you. While physically blocking is an important method of defence, it can still hurt and we don’t recommend trying to block every strike, as it will eventually wear you down.

Diesel Owner, Cliff, was once told by his own teacher that going shin to shin all the time, is a lot like a water fight, at the end of the day, you’ll both get wet. Choosing to constantly trade shins in a war of attrition is just asking for a limp.

Thankfully, there are alternatives to constant checking:

Full article here:
https://www.dieselgym.co.uk/how-to-defend-low-kicks-diesel-technique-of-the-week/

You have your own gym now?

Also the best low kick defense is to ban all low kicks and just bang

You have your own gym now?

Also the best low kick defense is to ban all low kicks and just bang
No no no, I worded it poorly. The gym that i started my training at 5 years ago is now the gym i work at - it's not my gym :)

That's awesome Andy! Congrats.

Are you working as an assistant coach there or?

That's awesome Andy! Congrats.

Are you working as an assistant coach there or?

I am for the kids class - but my main job is running their website/making articles like this and doing analysis on professional opponents. :cool:

Very cool!

Yup, training the kids has given me good motivation to not be a skinny ass and start working out properly rather than being that technical guy that gets smashed by the athletic guy. Gotta set a good example!

I am for the kids class
8a0.jpg

Back