Defeating the long guard/posting one hand out

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi all

What are some ways to get past your opponent just posting their lead hand out and using it to control range? I've tried patting it down (but then I get counterpunched as the arm comes back up at an upper angle when I come in) as well as uppercutting and throwing the overhand right (but I"m 5'6 and legit can't reach due to the fact he's over 6'5).

This is MT rules btw and its incredibly frustrating given that this guy legit does nothing else (he doesn't really strike so there's no opportunity to just slip the hand).

Thanks!

Have you tried parrying the lead hand as if it's a punch, getting your head off the center line and hitting him or clinching him? Or just leg kicking him some?

Hi all

What are some ways to get past your opponent just posting their lead hand out and using it to control range? I've tried patting it down (but then I get counterpunched as the arm comes back up at an upper angle when I come in) as well as uppercutting and throwing the overhand right (but I"m 5'6 and legit can't reach due to the fact he's over 6'5).

This is MT rules btw and its incredibly frustrating given that this guy legit does nothing else (he doesn't really strike so there's no opportunity to just slip the hand).

Thanks!

Kick him........chop the tree down...

Kick him........chop the tree down...
Doesn't work any better than in normal guard. AJ had quite some trouble to go around it in the Klitschko fight, but the same fight also shows it isn't invincible, just very useful.

The long guard existed for millenia for a reason.

2f8ac670bb.jpg

Anyway, since the arm is used like a shield, treat it like a shield and "grab" it.

Doesn't work any better than in normal guard. AJ had quite some trouble to go around it in the Klitschko fight, but the same fight also shows it isn't invincible, just very useful.

The long guard existed for millenia for a reason.

2f8ac670bb.jpg

Anyway, since the arm is used like a shield, treat it like a shield and "grab" it.

That was a boxing match, TS is talking about MT....

beat me to it.

kick him.

I tried kicking him but he can see it coming as I can't really set my kicks up with my punches. I tried to lift the other leg up as a feint first but there's only so many times I can use it before he catches on....

P.S. I'm not trying to argue with you btw - I'm just trying to brainstorm the best solution

The best technique is not to striking online. Get out to the opponent's side and attack him.

If he is attacking you and you can not attack him this is the solution lemher.
33146718_10156733052854925_3817328213554626560_n.jpg

I tried kicking him but he can see it coming as I can't really set my kicks up with my punches. I tried to lift the other leg up as a feint first but there's only so many times I can use it before he catches on....

P.S. I'm not trying to argue with you btw - I'm just trying to brainstorm the best solution

How long have you been training for? If your just starting out, you might need to just keep going and find out for yourself.

If he catches on to your kicks what does he do? If he checks, that means he's off balance, so try maybe striking once he checks the kicks. Mix it up a little.

if your both orthodox, parry his hand down with your right hand, and throw a kick at the same time.

You could also try aggressively getting inside. If hes keeping the hand out, he wants you at distance. try to corner him.

He's giving you a gift. You know where his lead hand's going to be. You get to initiate. You get to decide the angle you're going to engage on, and you get to decide where he'll turn.

As the shorter fighter, you should be using lateral movement and playing an unpredictable range game anyway. There's the distance at which neither of you can hit each other, the distance where only he can hit you, and the distance where you can also hit him.

Don't hang out in the middle range. Only move THROUGH that range on the way into one of the other two. Stay outside, then start your approach, using feints and different range attacks to stay unpredictable. Make your play and then get out.

I'm going to assume you're both orthodox since you didn't specify. You can slap his hand to the inside and then switch kick his leg. You can slap his hand to the outside and make it look like you're trying to clear a path up the middle and then duck to the outside (under a check hook if he tries to throw one as you come in) and then punch him with a right hook to the body, then post your left hand on his shoulder and then kick the back of his left leg.

You can pull his hand down and towards you with your lead hand while you throw a neb to his body.

Does he try to walk you down? Parry his long guard and step in close to the side of his body. Keep trying to face the side of him and stay right up next to him while you work his body with hooks. Tall guys hate that.

You gotta try what some of these guys are saying, though. Don't dismiss it to quickly. You CAN kick this guy's legs. You can jab with him. If you don't give him something to think about on the way in, it gives him too much time to think and get control over that range.

What everyone else said. Also, if he's posting the lead hand out in your face all the time, you'll know where it is. Throw a hard lead hook (if you're both orthodox) to the inside of his elbow joint or bicep. Probably harder to do but you can also throw your rear hook to the outside of his posted arm elbow like you're trying to hyperextend it.

Best scenario would probably an orthodox guy facing a southpaw...throw the hard lead hook and aim for the back of his elbow joint... if you hit it right, it will give him something to think about.

Dont think I've tried this one but maybe punch hard right into his outstretched palm/fist...probably doesn't feel too good on the joints.

Hi all

Thanks!
one of the best examples i've seen of someone dealing with this was Felix Trinidad vs david reid. watch around 16:34

https://ok.ru/video/253191260840

i really enjoy facing long guard, because its basically the easiest way to step into the most dominant clinch position imo, the standing armtriangle. as southpaw, right hand push their lead arm to inside, step to outside or under extended arm, throw left hook which is really just to clinch and try to secure the position.

Hi all

Thanks!

Best technique never fails..........

dirt%20in%20eyes.gif

<Eek2.0><45><Lmaoo>

But seriously, parry as you instep then cripple his legs as you come in with a back fist and hook and uppercut! ;)

Is one method as a martial artist there are other things you can do but under a rule set is illegal. However you can feint to one side and the go to the other hold around the outside of his lead arm as you jump shuffle around at his blind spot follow with knees and elbows........... there are a few things you can experiment with there is never going to be one set hard rule for a given situation but just the grounded training material the rest is experience.

Last edited:
In MT rules, when the long guard-using opponent has a height and reach advantage over you:

Slap, slip and trap.

Slap/ parry the arm just enough to support your slip and stepping in then trap the offending arm with your arm and shoulder/ neck. Make sure you slip and step in away from his power hand as much as possible. When you are close enough, kick.

In MMA rules, it's a whole new ballgame. A static long guard enables even a style like ninjutsu to work.

In MT rules, when the long guard-using opponent has a height and reach advantage over you:

Slap, slip and trap.

Slap/ parry the arm just enough to support your slip and stepping in then trap the offending arm with your arm and shoulder/ neck. Make sure you slip and step in away from his power hand as much as possible. When you are close enough, kick.

In MMA rules, it's a whole new ballgame. A static long guard enables even a style like ninjutsu to work.

Yeah exactly what i mean. right into side clinch, standing head and arm triangle,

i really enjoy facing long guard, because its basically the easiest way to step into the most dominant clinch position imo, the standing armtriangle. as southpaw, right hand push their lead arm to inside, step to outside or under extended arm, throw left hook which is really just to clinch and try to secure the position.

heres a really bad pic of it but
OmV7WAv.jpg

Back