Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 8] - MMA 'Cans' - The Unsung Heroes...

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by gono btw, Sep 6, 2018.

1. HaulParris

HaulParris Silver Belt

MMA isn’t as bad as boxing in terms of how a record is compiled and perceived, but it still has its problems.

What I mean is that in boxing, a typical fighter will have many amateur fights, turn pro and get slowly built-up (against increasingly tough but beatable opponents), and then, with a 20-0 record, fight for one of the hundred or so belts that’s up for grabs.

If and when a boxer is in trouble in a fight, his corner or the ref is more likely to stop the fight early, to save the fighter from himself. If he loses a fight, he’ll get 1-2 rebound fights to build himself back up. If and when he loses a few fights, and has a 24-3 record, he’s considered washed up and the audience /pundits /promoters move on.

In MMA, where there isn’t a well-develooed amateur circuit, many fighters turn pro with little or no amateur experience. While many do have the chance to be brought along slowly on the regional scene, far too often they have to take what they can get - meaning short-notice fights, including a call-up to the big leagues.

Before long, the young MMA fighters are thrust into a sport where there is a culture of no rebound fights, no “throwing in the towel”, and where negotiating for a better deal / more favorable match-up is seen as cowardly rather than strategic. Fans can overlook a big number of losses as long as a fighter seems willing to fight anyone / anywhere - like Matt Brown, Donald Cerrone, etc.

However, many of the more casual fans will overlook the substance of a career and focus only on the results. I’m not saying that everyone should watch every fight out there, but if you only go by results, then you would think Henderson-Shogun was just another fight.

The point of my (very long) post is that I agree with the OP - while results are a very real metric by which to measure a career, they only tell a part of the story. To dismiss the whole story is as disrespectful as calling a fighter a “can” - it’s lazy, mindless, and dishonorable.

2. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

B eye.gif

Im gettin´tired of defendin´ Takase or Chonan in the Heavies... Bums there like to bash´em jus´ to have an angle of attack against Spider for instance....

Typrune Goatley and HaulParris like this.
  3. RDUBYA

RDUBYA an oldie but a goodie

Guys that were once considered the best in the world or close to it are now considered overrated or cans by people that didn't watch them in their time. Makes me want to go full Mark Coleman on people.

Great threads by the way @gono btw

4. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

Ah, the Heavies are full of these bums...

chow2.gif

RDUBYA and Typrune Goatley like this.
  5. InfinityLens

InfinityLens Black Belt

If I want to get a picture of a fighters career from a set of #'s I always look at their ranking history (on Fight Matrix). Still doesn't tell the whole story but its better than their record imo.

6. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

P4P they have Couture above Big Nog... Not really serious...

7. Aerosol

Aerosol Green Belt

Shoji and Yvel were not cans

8. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Gold Belt

While I don't really consider a can, the mishandling of Nastula's mma career makes me sad.

gono btw likes this.
  9. InfinityLens

InfinityLens Black Belt

Not perfect but better than record, think how far down Mark Hunt would be if you only looked at record.

10. PolarBearPaulVarelans

PolarBearPaulVarelans Blue Belt

Other people have already rightfully called you out for calling Yvel a "can", but a few other names on your list are even worse.

John Alessio was a good fighter for that time whose career had some unfortunate breaks. He first debuted in the UFC at the age of just 20, challenging Pat Miletich for the welterweight championship.

He was a decent wrestler, had solid ground and submission skills, and could kickbox for that era, although he lacked power.

At the age of 26, he was the victim of low-key one of the worst decisions in UFC history, against Diego Sanchez, who was a big deal in 2006. After easily and clearly winning the first two rounds against Sanchez, who repeatedly had his takedowns stuffed and was beaten standing, the judges still gave Sanchez a unanimous decision.

He beat a slew of solid guys and PRIDE/UFC vets, like Luiz Firmino, Eric Wisely, War Machine, Luigi Fioravanti, Gideon Ray, Pete Spratt, Eiji Mitusoaka, Chris Brennan, etc.

Akira Shoji? He was easily a level above the typical PRIDE Japanese can, with legitimate wrestling and judo skills, a solid submission and ground game, and the occasional right hand.

Despite being massively undersized against most of his Western opponents, he often gave them hard fights, had them hurt or in trouble (knocking down and seriously pounding Henderson, for instance), and beat some respectable names, like knocking out Wallid Ismail, decisioning Ebenezer Fontes Braga and Alex Stiebling, and a somewhat controversial victory over Mezger.

When Shoji fought a TRUE can, like Herman Renting or John Renken, he submitted them in the first round.

I could go on and on.

11. Necrocrawler

Necrocrawler Purple Belt

Exactly

Shoji definitely wasn't a can. He was a good fighter at his Pride Days. Against regular competition, he won. Most of his losses came to "big names" like Coleman, Hendo and Jeremy Horn.

This concept of can is hard to define. You get guys like Julio Cesar Neves, whose cartel is impressive... But at what cost?

To end my point... Well... I believe Pride tried hard to get Hype with fighters from other Sports. I believe most of them didnt adapt themselves to the sport and the results were harsh. By saying that we get some names to do a quick analysis:

Yoshiaki Yatsu: Dude had legit Wrestling Credentials. What was the problem? Debuted at age 44.
    Yuhi Sano: A fighter with pro wrestling background. Got subbed by bjj fighters. Outstriked by Strikers. Basically could not adapt.

For the last, we have Sentoryu. Some years ago, someone posted the link of the Pride Secret Files book, which ive read. There, basically said that Pride had this dream of creating a Superstar Fighter with Sumo background. Sentoryu ,who was also a response to K1's aquisition of Akebono, was probably the most promised since at the time, being considered "made for MMA" due to his muscle build and also was developing his striking skills at the time. Not only that, but he also managed to win his second bout in less than 30 seconds which hyped him even more. The results after that are... Well... the reason im talking about him in a "can" thread.

gono btw likes this.
  12. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

Poor Sano was really clueless on the ground... MMA was not his thing...

13. gono btw

gono btw Rounds...

Shoji vs Mezger was an uneasy fight 2 score...

14. 2004 account

2004 account Supporting real mma

I stand by my original statement although I respect your opinion. I just don't feel the names you listed of said can's opponents really do much for their careers in retrospect because they are far from marquee names and having good performances or victories against them really doesn't elevate them out of can status imo.

At the end of the day it's subjective so neither of our absolute sounfding declarations are anything more than conjecture in reality. But in pretty sure a lot more mma fans would agree with my list than not

15. PolarBearPaulVarelans

PolarBearPaulVarelans Blue Belt

It's subjective, but when you're calling decent, skilled fighters like John Alessio "cans", what the do you call the people he beat? And the people THEY beat? Also, was Diego Sanchez a can in 2006 since Alessio beat him, contrary to what the judges said?

And if he is, how many non-"cans" were there in the welterweight division in 2006? Like 5, tops?

You don't see a problem with claiming only about 5 guys in the division back then weren't cans?

Nevermind the fact that you put Alessio in the same list as guys like Yoji Anjo and Nobuhiko Takada, who legitimately did suck, even back then.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    Ronda.Jones.genetics likes this.