Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 7] - Skill Set & MMA Evolution: The HWs Case

2006!!! The good old days... The greats young and prime.

like who? no one is denying mma evolution other than some "expert" sherdogger
Hume for instance, has seen it all, from Early Pancrase to current UFC, as a fighter, judge, coach, rule director, head official.

Hume for instance, has seen it all, from Early Pancrase to current UFC, as a fighter, judge, coach, rule director, head official.
im pretty sure hume is not denying mma evolution like you say but pretty much ever mma fighters,coach and champ agree that mma is continue to evolve.

Good read, i would say though than the hw and even the lhw are particular divisions since the athletic big guys try to go to other sports, thus the talent pool is shallower and the evolution slower.

In other divisions things have evolved pretty drastically.

im pretty sure hume is not denying mma evolution like you say but pretty much ever mma fighters,coach and champ agree that mma is continue to evolve.
Im pretty sure you´re too lazy to listen to him tbh

Good read, i would say though than the hw and even the lhw are particular divisions since the athletic big guys try to go to other sports, thus the talent pool is shallower and the evolution slower.

In other divisions things have evolved pretty drastically.
that´s what we´re gonna check in the next threads...

The heavyweight division is a terrible choice for arguing for or against evolution in MMA, unless one were trying to be intentionally misleading, which it certainly seems is TS's goal. There are multiple unique factors that have resulted in it's stagnation that don't affect other more competitive divisions, and, in my opinion, you would be quite hardpressed to argue that MW and down has not seen a noticeable rise in overall talent and skill level over the years. Further, narrowing down "evolution" to "increasingly well-rounded" is an absurd oversimplification that does not in any way belong in a serious discussion of the matter.

The heavyweight division is a terrible choice for arguing for or against evolution in MMA, unless one were trying to be intentionally misleading, which it certainly seems is TS's goal. There are multiple unique factors that have resulted in it's stagnation that don't affect other more competitive divisions, and, in my opinion, you would be quite hardpressed to argue that MW and down has not seen a noticeable rise in overall talent and skill level over the years. Further, narrowing down "evolution" to "increasingly well-rounded" is an absurd oversimplification that does not in any way belong in a serious discussion of the matter.
Someone didnt read the OP...

"Hence, let´s try to assess this Evolution Thing, starting 1st with the HWs."

[means other threads about other div. are coming]

Wouldn't after a certain point evolution work against well-roundedness, at least how you define it? If the standards of excellence needed to prevail in a skill keep increasing as everyone gets better, the effort it would take to be truly evenly well-rounded increases exponentially. There's only so much you can train before you blow your body out. At some point there has to be a triage, a determination where best to apply your efforts.

Someone didnt read the OP...

"Hence, let´s try to assess this Evolution Thing, starting 1st with the HWs."

I read it. If you were serious about having this discussion you would have started closer to the mean and then worked to the unique cases at the end. Doing it this way is either poor tact or an intentional attempt to manipulate the narrative. Why would you think starting a philosophical conversation using only exceptions without first establishing an agreed upon standard is a good idea? I find it hard to believe this was an honest mistake.

I read it. If you were serious about having this discussion you would have started closer to the mean and then worked to the unique cases at the end. Doing it this way is either poor tact or an intentional attempt to manipulate the narrative. Why would you think starting a philosophical conversation using only exceptions without first establishing an agreed upon standard is a good idea? I find it hard to believe this was an honest mistake.
No mistake, only poor reading comprehension from you.

This 1st thread is about the HWs, then I´ll spit other threads about the LHWs,MWs,WWs, and maybe LWs.

Wouldn't after a certain point evolution work against well-roundedness, at least how you define it? If the standards of excellence needed to prevail in a skill keep increasing as everyone gets better, the effort it would take to be truly evenly well-rounded increases exponentially. There's only so much you can train before you blow your body out. At some point there has to be a triage, a determination where best to apply your efforts.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-5.3807975/

Increased specialization can certainly be a sign of evolution, if that is what's needed to be successful. HWs, as a speculative example, throw around a lot of power and tend to tire quicker than other divisions due to their size. This makes the inherent problems that come with finding yourself on your back with an opponent on top of you an even bigger issue than other, lower weight classes. Supporting all that extra weight, tiring you that much quicker, with a much higher likelihood of getting concussed in a fewer amount of punches. Thus it would be best to focus on never getting yourself into that position in the first place, and could possibly lead to HWs neglecting their bottom game more than other divisions over time.

No mistake, only poor reading comprehension from you.

This 1st thread is about the HWs, then I´ll spit other threads about the LHWs,MWs,WWs, and maybe LWs.

Accusing me of poor reading comprehension while completely failing to actually understand my valid criticisms of your post. Ironic.

Accusing me of poor reading comprehension while completely failing to actually acknowledge my valid criticisms of your post. Ironic.
You´re actually making me argue about some really stupid things.

If this thread is stupid, just leave it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back