Deceptive power.

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i was just watching carlos zarate and his punching power was a little bit deceptive. his punches were so tidy that they didn't appear to carry that much power. the effect was devastating though. chavez's right hand against meldrick taylor was the same, didn't look like much but it was doing ridiculous damage. what other fighters have such deceptive punching ability?

Inoue at BW looks small and hits like a mack truck.

He looks like a nerdy kid who spends his time playing online video games but then crushes world level boxers like its easy.

Morales showed how you can make a young power puncher look sloppy against maidana. If his eye didn’t decide to become the same size as his head he wins that fight wide.

definitely one of my favourite fighters today. don't know if his power is that deceptive though. you can clearly see the power on his shots. watch zarate in comparison. now that would be a good match. inoue has a way to go before he is at zarate's level though. i really like the small quick steps inoue takes, he really makes footwork look good. people always rave about lomachenko's movement, but i much prefer inoue's footwork. the way he moves is all about setting up the wicked power. you don't want to super glue guard against the monster or he will rip your body to pieces, then smash you up top (if you last that long).

Morales showed how you can make a young power puncher look sloppy against maidana. If his eye didn’t decide to become the same size as his head he wins that fight wide.
Yeah, that fight was ruined in a similar way to Garcia/Mattysse.

i was just watching carlos zarate and his punching power was a little bit deceptive. his punches were so tidy that they didn't appear to carry that much power. the effect was devastating though. chavez's right hand against meldrick taylor was the same, didn't look like much but it was doing ridiculous damage. what other fighters have such deceptive punching ability?
chavez is one of the best for that, punches that look like they are landing but you can't see the internal damage they are doing as in the bone/tissue damage. But one guy stands out in my mind more than any other and thats naseem hamed, he'd look like he's just touching someone, as in tapping someone and they'd drop, never seen anyone else do it like that. body mechanics all wankie and everything, didn't make a difference, the guys would drop.

Yeah, that fight was ruined in a similar way to Garcia/Mattysse.
it's a tough sport, i've always thought that the outside of the ring life makes swellings those kinds of factors. Joe Frazier was known to drink and his diet was probably bad too and Fernando Vargas is another who was known to ballon up between fights, boxing is a lot more than what goes on in the gym and the ring, it's also the 90 percent of the rest of the time outside of it and what you put into your body.

chavez is one of the best for that, punches that look like they are landing but you can't see the internal damage they are doing as in the bone/tissue damage. But one guy stands out in my mind more than any other and thats naseem hamed, he'd look like he's just touching someone, as in tapping someone and they'd drop, never seen anyone else do it like that. body mechanics all wankie and everything, didn't make a difference, the guys would drop.
i have never really watched much chavez until recently, but like you say the damage he did was ridiculous. as for hamed, he was just one funky cat. not sure if i was really a fan, but his reflexes were up there with roy jones and ali.

I guess Gerald Mcclellan? He did not look like someone that could punch hard based on physical attributes, or overall technique either. Then you quickly realise watching him crank it up how looks are deceiving.

Vic Darchinyan at the lower weights. The guy looked like a bobblehead.

I'd also say Floyd, based on what a lot of his opponents have said after they fight.

Jason Cook, had a 50 percent ko ratio but he had a left hook that could cut through iron

8:21 of this video

GGG has deceptive power. He doesn't really look like a super impressive puncher, but nobody takes his punches well.

George Foreman too. Sometimes he'd almost look like he was just throwing arm punches but they'd land like atomic
bombs.

Margarito fits that category too. Nothing he did looked devastating but his punches tended to bust guys up. Part of that may have been his special wraps, but he was clean against Pac and still managed to hurt him.

I'd also say Floyd, based on what a lot of his opponents have said after they fight.

I always thought that it was funny that he had a reputation as a light hitting guy. I never really got that impression from him at all at any weight.

Bernard Hopkins might fit into this category as well now that I think about it.

Well it depends.. Chavez claimed Floyd punched comparably to Canelo. If you think Canelo is a hard puncher for his division, then Floyd is too.

Back