Decent pair of 18 ox boxing gloves?

fita

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure where to turn so I thought I'd come here to get some advice. I want to buy some 18 ox boxing gloves just for bagwork, I feel like they will give me a better workout and also the 16 oz gloves will feel lighter when I'm sparring.

Also, I've had a lot of problems with my thumb so I need a pair of gloves that provide plenty of protection and stability for my thumb. Budget is around £50, based in the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi, I'm not sure where to turn so I thought I'd come here to get some advice. I want to buy some 18 ox boxing gloves just for bagwork, I feel like they will give me a better workout and also the 16 oz gloves will feel lighter when I'm sparring.

Also, I've had a lot of problems with my thumb so I need a pair of gloves that provide plenty of protection and stability for my thumb. Budget is around £50, based in the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Your budget is too low for anything really great. The best C/P gloves are always going to be Thai brand and they all cost at least around 60-70 quid, especially with GBP being super low, could be up to 80 right now..

Under 50 and for something heavy, I think your only option is RDX. They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but just under or around 50 I think. The good thing for you in this case, their gloves don't have a concept of being true to weight. So if you get a 12oz, they probably already weight 18 oz depends of the model . So instead of the usual 18oz being huge, you might get away with something as heavy and not as bulky(Just to be safe, get the 16s/18s). Their gloves are also very stiff so look like they will last as bag gloves and only as bag gloves not for anything else. Don't know about your thumb though.

If you want something more proven, go with Thai brand, they will be huge at 18oz, but surely less stiff and softer, able to be used for anything most of the models. Thai brand never fail me.

Next I would suggest the jump to custom gloves, make them true to weight, shape the thumb for you, able to pick any padding, any design. etc around 100-150 quid.

There you go for the 3 suggestions. And the fourth would be: just get some wrist weight or knuckle guard if you already have a decent pair of gloves.

Any advice appreciated.
I'm on the same quest as you, my advice is to watch eBay like a hawk. I picked up some 18 oz Ringside IMF gloves for $35 brand new. I'm not sure that I'm very impressed with them, they aren't broken in yet. I also just snagged some Ring to Cage 18 oz gloves for $25 new but out of the package. These are USD, but euro is pretty close to dollar right now. PM me if you are interested in the Ringside gloves, we might be able to work something out, I have less than 10 rounds in with them.

I'm on the same quest as you, my advice is to watch eBay like a hawk. I picked up some 18 oz Ringside IMF gloves for $35 brand new. I'm not sure that I'm very impressed with them, they aren't broken in yet. I also just snagged some Ring to Cage 18 oz gloves for $25 new but out of the package. These are USD, but euro is pretty close to dollar right now. PM me if you are interested in the Ringside gloves, we might be able to work something out, I have less than 10 rounds in with them.

He is based in the UK though, so no US Ringside or Ring2Cage on ebay at all. Unless you are willing to ship them abroad.

it would be hard to find a pair of good really good gloves at that price. It sounds weird coming from me but if you can up your budget, who ever is selling those marvelous muay thai gloves could very well be an option and i believe he ships directly out of pakistan and i believe there are reasonable shipping prices between both places ( i could be totally wrong). your price range though definely limits even thai stuff as i fossils says

For what it's worth, the RIng To Cage 18 oz gloves are great! I would ship the Ringside gloves to UK if the guy comes back and is desperate for white leather stretched over concrete ;)

For what it's worth, the RIng To Cage 18 oz gloves are great! I would ship the Ringside gloves to UK if the guy comes back and is desperate for white leather stretched over concrete ;)
even those are good for certain things. for strength we have a pillar of trailer truck tires which we hit with fists elbops and knees. i use a pair of 22 ounce bricks but they protect my hands well, but i do not use them for anything else

Back