Debunking the Conor McGregor doesn't defend his titles myth

When people blindly look at facts only, yes, it is a fact that he has not defended his titles. But you can't go through life only on FACTS without using your own judgement in situations. Those are the fools that go nowhere in life.

Suppose a Police Officer has gotten 3-4 calls in a single month all about the same individual. This guy has punched 3-4 people in a single month. That's a fact. Does the guy deserve to be arrested ? Not sure ? Why ? Cause you don't have all the details, right ?

But if you hated the guy you could go around town claiming the FACTS that this guy is a psycho and always punches people.. but what if the guy is just confident and other insecure people don't like that he's confident and pick fights with HIM ? So he's only defending himself and not backing down....

Use your brains. TS is totally right. I don't blame Conor at all.

Ahh, and now I think you're getting much closer to the actual heart of the matter.

Conor hasn't 'walked away from weight classes' so much as he's been offered something better elsewhere. He's been offered tremendous latitude and opportunities, certainly more than any other UFC fighter. But he's only done what anyone else would have were they presented the same opportunities.

May I give an example? Many people say Conor's 'two division champ' claim doesn't mean as much as it might since he was afforded the ability to fight for a second belt where others have not been permitted to. There's an element of truth there. He still had to win a second belt, but others didn't get quite the same chance to try. People also correctly posit that Aldo would possibly have been a two division champ, except the UFC stipulated that were he to try for the LW belt he would need to vacate the FW belt.

Without wishing to argue whether that difference in treatment is at all fair, I would suggest very strongly that *if* Aldo was permitted to try for both belts, he would have. In fact I'd say any champion who was both offered to fight for the heavier belt and was confident enough in themselves as a fighter would do exactly as Conor has done.

In that sense it isn't really on Conor that he didn't defend at FW, it's very much on his bosses.
This approach is very coherant and fitting as far as i can tell. But it Feels to me that your discourse neglects the amplitude of conor's decisions' influence in this turn of events. He truly doesn't give a fouck

Conor has already beaten Aldo and Holloway; that division is stuck in the mud. Just look at the Aldo's gifted belt and the Holloway fiasco.

Conor wanted to fight at LW. RDA did not show up and caused all that mess with Nate. Conor could have refused to fight but he fought Mendes, Diaz and Eddie as replacements and have been very active. After the Khabib/Tony mess gets sorted out (they have not fought anyone as good as Eddie), Conor will fight the winner.

TS is one hundred percent right, he never defended a belt because he always chooses for the next biggest, most difficult challenge

Beating Aldo and then moving to 155 was a tougher move than sticking around and giving him a rematch

Why bother defending your belt when you can go for another title shot at another weight class?

You guys are like Gold with excuses ↑↑↑ and "never mind that" attitude. One question to any of you all, if the belts are unimportant/important can't really gather from you all. First it's not important because he wants to go for a bigger belt, bigger challenge, aren't all belts important then?

You can make excuses until your mouth runs dry Champs & Defenses goes hand in hand not even Conor can change that...

You're here to watch the sport? Conor fought. He competed in the sport. Your issue is not with the sport. It's with the promoter's conduct.

Literally the only part of the UFC's actions which are a problem is that Conor has been afforded more leeway than other fighters in terms of pursuing difficult bouts. The sport, the divisions - they're all fine (well, with the exception of LHW, HW and the new Women's 145).

I don't have a casual's mentality. Quite the oppsite. This is the fight industry. Boxing, MMA - it doesn't matter. I'm jaded enough to accept the shennanigans and just focus on the fights. Getting excitable about the rest doesn't do one any good.

Finally, I explained the reason because you yourself asked why Conor needed a high calibre opponent. Got a silly answer? Well it was a silly question.
You do sound as if you are writing an essay! Or earning
Added fact, Conor was due to defend his Cage Warriors FW world title against Jim Alers the night he beat Ivan Buchinger, but Alers pulled out of the fight with an injury so instead he took on Buchinger for the LW title.

The people who go on about the title defenses already know that they are being rediculous, but it's all they have left, Conor has bit by bit decimated the hater ammo....

Now they're left firing blanks...
this is a Nice pièce of info. Il' look it up but do You have a source handy just in case plz
Edit: nvm, found it, he is one of the unluckiest great opportunists this sport has known, gsp and silva and Cruz being up there as well

Last edited:
You guys are like Gold with excuses ↑↑↑ and "never mind that" attitude. One question to any of you all, if the belts are unimportant/important can't really gather from you all. First it's not important because he wants to go for a bigger belt, bigger challenge, aren't all belts important then?

You can make excuses until your mouth runs dry Champs & Defenses goes hand in hand not even Conor can change that...

I can't speak for the others, but mine was total a joke, so I guess the facetiousness was lost in the translation to text

The TS told me I was was obsessed with Conor........wow. This guy can't get anything right.

Wins the Cage Warriors FW title.
- Decides to make history and become a two division champion. Something no Irishman has done. Especially at a regional level, being a double champion will get you way more attention and hype than being a singular champ. Are we blaming him here?

Wins Cage Warriors LW belt.
- Gets signed by the UFC right afterwards. Are we fucking blaming him here too? Lmao. Can we stop bringing up "he didn't defend his Cage Warriors belts!!" I guess he should've told the UFC "sorry, guys, I have to defend my Cage Warriors belts. I must decline your offer"

{<jordan}

Wins UFC FW title
- Again, attempts to make history by being the first fighter to hold two belts at the same time. Are we blaming him here? How dare he want to put on an epic event and fight for the fans! How dare he!
- Loses to Nate Diaz after RDA pulls out. Okay. Detractors will argue that he should've immediately defended his belt, yet are the same people who mock him for losing. Lmao. I honestly believe they are salty that Conor avenged his loss because now they look stupid when constantly trying to post gifs of Nate submitting him.

Wins UFC LW belt
- Again. Makes history instead of a title defense vs someone he already defeated in 13 seconds who wasted a year of his life by going on a media run and then pulling out of the biggest fight of his life 2 weeks before. Let's see. Fight a guy who most likely won't even show up who you already smoked with ease or move up in weight and make history?
- Wife is pregnant, yet available for a fight in march. The UFC did not reach out to him.

Mayweather fight on the table.
- Potential $100M payday. If you're honestly arguing his decision to choose this over any fight in the UFC you need experiments done to figure out what is wrong with you.

So in trying to defend Conor you actually spelled out the opposite perfectly: He does not defend his titles.

It's not a question of opinion. He has never defended any of the 4 titles he has won in pro MMA. That's the fact. It doesn't matter what his reasons are or how you justify it.

I'm not making any excuses, I'm not someone who comes on here and only has fighters I root for. I root for Stipe, that's it.

It's hard to fault Conor for not defending when he's always doing something harder (and succeeding), instead

I'm also not big on pro wrestling, so while the belt is important, it becomes more insignificant when he goes and gets another one at a higher weight class

It's hard to fault Conor for not defending when he's always doing something harder (and succeeding)

I would say it's very easy to fault Conor for not defending seeing he had more than enough ample opportunity & health and time to defend. Any real champ will tell you defending the belt is the hardest thing to do, just don't ask Conor he knows nothing about defending...

When people blindly look at facts only, yes, it is a fact that he has not defended his titles. But you can't go through life only on FACTS without using your own judgement in situations. Those are the fools that go nowhere in life.

Suppose a Police Officer has gotten 3-4 calls in a single month all about the same individual. This guy has punched 3-4 people in a single month. That's a fact. Does the guy deserve to be arrested ? Not sure ? Why ? Cause you don't have all the details, right ?

But if you hated the guy you could go around town claiming the FACTS that this guy is a psycho and always punches people.. but what if the guy is just confident and other insecure people don't like that he's confident and pick fights with HIM ? So he's only defending himself and not backing down....

Use your brains. TS is totally right. I don't blame Conor at all.
If a dude punches 3or4 DIFFERENT people in 3 days something IS wrong.

Has never defended the title and was gifted a title shot at 155. He goes 1/1 against the rank number 6 at 155 and was stopped in their first fight and arguably lost the rematch then gets the title shot at LW ahead of two monsters, all cause he sells PPVs.

Nothing wrong with going after the bigger fights, much better fights at 155 anyway, just leave the 145 title behind since he clearly left the division after icing Aldo, that's the problem keeping a belt as a marketing tool, if he wasn't going to defend it then give it up, if he wasn't going to give it up then he is open to criticism for not defending.
Not true about leaving it after killing Aldo.

He has stated he would have fought Frankie if he was able to beat Aldo at 200. Frankie couldn't get it done. Is it his fault there wasn't a real challenge at 145? Frankie lost, he beat Chad, holloway, and Aldo. He's still the champ until someone can take the belt from him.

You haven't debunked shit, just made excuses for the lack of defenses which pretty much sums up Conor's fanbase to a T basically.

Has never defended the title and was gifted a title shot at 155. He goes 1/1 against the rank number 6 at 155 and was stopped in their first fight and arguably lost the rematch then gets the title shot at LW ahead of two monsters, all cause he sells PPVs.
That's one way to spin it I guess.

You haven't debunked shit, just made excuses for the lack of defenses which pretty much sums up Conor's fanbase to a T basically.
Excuses and context are different things. Learn the difference

I thought you were going to debunk the myth, not validate it.

whatever you say I guess lol.

Bottom line is it's not a "myth" that he hasn't defended a title, it's a fact.
It's a fact George bush went to Harvard and Yale. Does that mean he is as smart as people who have graduated from Harvard? No because context would tell you he only got in because of his family connections.

You are being intentionally obtuse

Back