Dealing with/preventing runner's toes?

Cherry Brigand

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Right forum?

I've been an off and on runner for most of my adult life. Did two marathons in my late 20s early 30s, got fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/ back to thin (6'0,190, goal is low 180s) through my mid 30s until now and have done it all through running and the stoppage there of.

Never before have I had as much nail/toe damage as I've got now, and ONLY on my right foot.

I have made only two changes to my running this go around: 1. switched from wicking socks to regular Cotton socks as the former gives me blisters and 2. I do most of my running on a treadmill. It's possible the unchanging treadmill pace for 25-30 miles per week is the root issue. Anyhow, my shoe type , size, pacing, etc are all identical to how I've always done things.

So. How do I prevent future damage and treat what I have now. Just wear a lot of Band-Aids around my toes?

I can't answer your question. But I would suggest asking a Mod to move this to the F13 Strength and Conditioning Forum. You'd have a better chance of finding someone there who can help you.

Good luck.

Shoes. Definitely shoes. Get the right ones and change them frequently.

Get a car, its faster and more fun.

TatteredThirdHen-small.gif

I've got one goddamn toe that just always bruises up underneath the nail. I'd love to know the answer as well. Switching to cotton socks is NOT the answer.

cut it off!
Be a man!

I recently donated a new pair of Asics because each and every time I wore them, the fucking toe area made my toes numb. I thought Asics was top notch Japanese craftsmanship. I read a black dude review complaining at some point they started making the toe area in really expensive Asics way too small. Good thing I didn't dive in by buying the $130 Asics.

I switched back to old reliable Sketchers and toes are not numb. I strayed from this brand because I assumed the cushioning was better with Asics.

I've got one goddamn toe that just always bruises up underneath the nail. I'd love to know the answer as well. Switching to cotton socks is NOT the answer.
Did you try loosening the shoe laces closer to the toe area?

My current Sketchers had the left shoe beat up my big toe area as if the shoe wasn't flexing safely. I loosened the shoe laces and didn't have that problem the last few days.

I can't answer your question. But I would suggest asking a Mod to move this to the F13 Strength and Conditioning Forum. You'd have a better chance of finding someone there who can help you.

Good luck.

Right, people that run in the berry?

<36>

I recently donated a new pair of Asics because each and every time I wore them, the fucking toe area made my toes numb. I thought Asics was top notch Japanese craftsmanship. I read a black dude review complaining at some point they started making the toe area in really expensive Asics way too small. Good thing I didn't dive in by buying the $130 Asics.

I switched back to old reliable Sketchers and toes are not numb. I strayed from this brand because I assumed the cushioning was better with Asics.

What? You expect people to believe that Sketchers are a better running shoe than ASICS????

<{hughesimpress}>

<TrumpWrong1>

<DontBelieve1>
M

You DONT run

Right, people that run in the berry?

<36>

What? You expect people to believe that Sketchers are a better running shoe than ASICS????

<{hughesimpress}>

<TrumpWrong1>

<DontBelieve1>
M

You DONT run
Yeah, walking, not running. Feet don't get beat up in Sketchers. Toes not numb. Huge plus.

Yeah, walking, not running. Feet don't get beat up in Sketchers. Toes not numb. Huge plus.
Gotcha, if you tried to run for real in some sketchers you’d have some foot/joint issues fo sho.

For walking if they are good for you I can see it.

<Gordonhat>

I dunno. I used to run a lot. First time I tried a half-marathon it was terrible on my feet. Both my big toe nails got ripped off and wedged in an uncomfortable angle inside the shoes, cutting gashes into the flesh for the latter half of the distance. My socks were soaked through with blood by the time I was done. The other toes were pretty messed up as well. And blisters everywhere, some came the day after.

Then, well, the problems just went away. Didn't change shoes or nothing. Maybe getting rid of a couple of toenails helped, running felt easier without them and once they grew back they kind grew back in a way that didn't bother me. They were molded into a better shape, I guess.

And I was streaking for about a year, so my weekly average distance was about the same as TS's. Of course the speed and way you divide the distances per session matters. Plus I was pretty light at the time, maybe 150-155 pounds.

I'd say run often, but give your feet time to heal? 30 miles divided into seven running sessions per week instead of two or three will be less stressful, obviously. Running shoes tend to feel more comfortable after you've used them a couple of times, so for longer distances I'd use shoes that you've already broken in. I always tried running on softer surfaces than asphalt whenever possible. Also I hate treadmills and do feel they impact the feet more because I can't land in a natural way on them (they kind of force me to take the impact on the front half of me feet), but that might just be me being goofy.

Last edited:
I've been running for almost 20 years (yes, since I was a kid) and I've NEVER had toenail problems. That includes the times when I ran over 50 miles a week.

It's just how your shoes fit, yo. They need to have a roomy toe box, but not so roomy that your toes jam up against the front. I think this also depends on your stride. Try a midfoot strike, so that your foot sort of rolls down onto the ground in a gentle way. But if you keep getting toe issues, you should really try new shoes and get someone to look at your stride.

Never before have I had as much nail/toe damage as I've got now, and ONLY on my right foot.

I have made only two changes to my running this go around: 1. switched from wicking socks to regular Cotton socks as the former gives me blisters and 2. I do most of my running on a treadmill. It's possible the unchanging treadmill pace for 25-30 miles per week is the root issue. Anyhow, my shoe type , size, pacing, etc are all identical to how I've always done things.
So. How do I prevent future damage and treat what I have now. Just wear a lot of Band-Aids around my toes?

Your running form/uneven gait might've degraded enough to cause damage to your right foot. And maybe your right is also abit bigger vs the left. Some people wear different sizes on each foot, make cuts to the toebox to reduce toe injuries.

Right forum?

I've been an off and on runner for most of my adult life. Did two marathons in my late 20s early 30s, got fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/thin/fat/ back to thin (6'0,190, goal is low 180s) through my mid 30s until now and have done it all through running and the stoppage there of.

Maybe your arch'es have flattened a little with age and use and you need to move up a half size ? Really can only be one thing.......shoe sizing.

Back